Is my tackle past it???

irfonminnow

Reaction score
Enjoy your angling,firstly,only change your tackle if you feel the need.I must say though ive just got hold of a daiwa exceler x 3000 and Fred,a mitchell limps along in comparison,ok if its the sentimental,historical side of the game your looking for fine,but not when it comes to sheer quality and performance.

A bit too blingy for me. Also - doesn't this reel have the dreaded "airbail"?:eek:

Never having used one before the Mitchell has been a revelation for me. Solid, casts nicely, good line-lay and retrieve (now all the grease has been cleaned out and the moving bits have been properly lubed) - and only one piece of plastic in mine (it's a late model, made in the early 80's).

I'm sure the Diawa is lovely to use - my little Silver Series Diawa was, but the handle snapped and guess what?
No replacements available.

I like dependable gear, in fishing as in life. I'm under no illusions about this - it's almost certainly a sign of my advancing age:D.

IM

Barry Edney

Reaction score
All that gear should be good for another 20 years if you look after it :)

2 things that aint good after 20 years is line and maybe hooks. I like to renew these regularly just to be on the safe side.

Everything else is good to go. :)

A

alan whittington

A bit too blingy for me. Also - doesn't this reel have the dreaded "airbail"?:eek:

Never having used one before the Mitchell has been a revelation for me. Solid, casts nicely, good line-lay and retrieve (now all the grease has been cleaned out and the moving bits have been properly lubed) - and only one piece of plastic in mine (it's a late model, made in the early 80's).

I'm sure the Diawa is lovely to use - my little Silver Series Diawa was, but the handle snapped and guess what?
No replacements available.

I like dependable gear, in fishing as in life. I'm under no illusions about this - it's almost certainly a sign of my advancing age:D.

IM
Irfon,ive had my exceler plus 4000(airbail and all)for 18 months plus and its an absolute pleasure to use,so if the 3000x is the same i will be well pleased,i had two 'matches',two 300's,a 408 and a 308,as i say in their time they were the best,trouble is that time must be at least 25+ years ago and imo,my tackle now is so much superior and relatively cheap in comparison(time passed),i have two shimano aero-match3's that ive had for many,many years(they havnt been made for many of those)and they still perform brilliantly,with no maintainence,my mitchells ate bail springs and i remember the first match of the season(100 years ago lol),when the two match's and the two 300's all failed,costing me 1st place(instead of 2nd with 30lb 8ozs of chub),even though they'd been serviced during the obligitory closed season at the time.:)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
20 years old-almost brand new compared with some of the rods I use!!

I would give your'old'gear a go-providing its in workable condition....I'm also not too sure about the mitchells but its a personal choice and reels have moved on so much......

Personally I love my old rods and get a real kick out of sliding them out of the bag...silly 'ol fool......

robbster

Reaction score
Cheapest foam strip you'll find!

If you take a trip to the local B&Q, find the aisle where the draught excluder is. There are different sizes, just select the one you need, and cut some slits in it, to hold the floats. All you'll ever need, for a couple of quid.

mitron

Reaction score
old tackle

i have an old bruce_walker flyer match rod and a mitchell 410 match both pristine in my opinion can still more than hold their own

A

alan whittington

i have an old bruce_walker flyer match rod and a mitchell 410 match both pristine in my opinion can still more than hold their own

Mitron,there are a lot of people who say the same about split cane and centrepins,but i think i will stick with my normark titan 2000's and a shimano,thanks all the same,i certainly wouldnt want to arm wrestle with you(and im a sheet metal worker and work with my hands).;):wh

mitron

Reaction score
old tackle

Everyone to their own alan enjoying your fishing is the main priority
by the way Alan im from beds

A

alan whittington

Everyone to their own alan enjoying your fishing is the main priority
by the way Alan im from beds

Very true,i had a flyer in the seventies....i believe,a very light rod at the time and very,very tip actioned(good for roach on the stick).I feel that if you used a quality rod of this era,enjoyment may be enhanced a tad more,of course imo_Our county used to be on of the best in the UK for fishing,now i feel its dragging its feet a little,still good fishing available though.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi mate,
get tha sen off to billy clarkes, YOU WILL want to buy new tackle when you walk in...I do every time I go in

BarryC

Reaction score
All good gear just get out there and use it.
You will find the fish wo'nt give a toss.
You might want to replace the line though. (chuckle)

johnbaz

Reaction score
Dragging up a really old thread, I snapped the Daiwa WKM13c rod when I fell over in the shed, Landed on my holdall and heard a crack, I just knew it was going to be my fave rod!!

I had a big layoff from fishing, Bought the license most years an only went once each time!! I've now finished working and intend to start again!

I bought another Daiwa Whisker Kevlar off fleabay some years ago, Didn't get round to using it!

It was maybe the last time I went fishing, I did fly fishing with my son, He took me in to a field next to a golf course to practice casting, All the dog walkers were asking if i'd caught owt!! :LOL:

The lake was at Chesterfield, It was a lovely day too!
c5YlQo3.jpg

My lad pulled a couple of trout out, I managed just one and dropped one off!
WSwMu5i.jpg
I enjoyed that loads!!

Just waiting for warmer weather as I hate fishing in rain and snow!! ??

John :)

john step

Reaction score
I hope you still have that Sigma Wand. Cherish it. You will never be able to replace it. Like gold dust.

johnbaz

Reaction score
I hope you still have that Sigma Wand. Cherish it. You will never be able to replace it. Like gold dust.

I do but the shed is heaving and I can't get to my tackle in there, Hope the meeces haven't chewed at anything!

I used to like using it on the canal or Aston Ponds!!

John :)

Dangler40

Reaction score
And stick that Ryobi, if you still have it, on e-bay, you might be suprised what a decent conditioned one might make :eek:

johnbaz

Reaction score
Mum in law came round for some dinner today and brought me one the fil's old 4 1/2"centrepin reels today!

An old Allcocks!, It was really free running, I had to put a couple of drops of oil on it anyhow- It became even more free running!!

o588tNK.jpg

FxCECnd.jpg

I think there's a similar reel already in my box seat, Last time I used one I spent more time untangling the over runs that actual fishing!! :oops: :ROFLMAO:

John ?

johnbaz

Reaction score
Hi again, I went and dug my tackle out to find the shed roof had leaked straight in to my box/seat!, There was two inches of foetid water in the bottom of my box and the reels suffered immensely (The two 300a's were in inside reel pouches too!)
My heart sank through the floor!, The handles were all stuck solid and had to heat the female part and tap them out, Oxydisation was everywhere and one of the spools was jammed on!, Got them apart eventually and cleaned the rubbish off them, Strangely they're still smooth as silk though the Match needed plenty of WD40 to get the finger dab working again!

I've had a thought about removing all the paint from the bodies and polishing them up to a mirror finish then lacquering them as the look awful now and when they're repainted they look even worse!!
z39P9KC.jpg

I actually found a couple of reels in the spare room in a carp bag that i'd forgotten about, They all seem ok!, I'm pretty sure there's a bag in the loft too with some in..

s2IT1TU.jpg

The Harrier is a 123 with no drag or anti reverse, I had a bad experience with the Ryobi CF1 which has the same features, Got a nice carp on at Aston ponds, It tore off like the bejaysus and and I couldn't backwind fast enough, It straightened my hook out and went on it's merry way!! ?

I went to reccy the Wire mill dam at Whitely lane yesterday, It's bigger than I thought but is supposed to have some nnice fish in for four quid a day!

I only saw one other person, He was having a power walk past the pond!!
1oo3HXN.jpg

Loved the approach to the water!!
S9O2SDR.jpg

DmW41rU.jpg

Had a walk round it, It was 200 paces long and fifty wide, Me chuffin knees were killing me when I got back to the car!! :confused::eek:

John (y)

Keith M

Reaction score
Blimey! that centrepin has a really deep spool profile; the retrieve rate must be incredibly slow :)

Sorry to hear about the water damage on your other reels; however make sure that after using the WD40 on your reels you wipe it off and replace it with a good oil. WD40 is great at displacing water but beware as it leaves a sticky residue behind as it dries which can clog up your reel bearings; as I found out myself when I was a lot younger :)

Regardless of what it says on the can it is definately not a lubricant.

Keith

Last edited:

peytr

Reaction score
I often prefer older gear, being it in my posession that long or bought recently. I think I wrote it somewhere else already: you can get yesterdays top notch gear for next to nothing second hand. So go fishing with what ever you have, only replace what you don't like yourself and be happy. If you decide otherwise let me know, but I think there's a que in front of me :)