Is there any need for expensive tackle?

ferret

Reaction score
This as got to be my year, fish date 16 Aug my lakes dead way to much weed its that thick even I can walk on water (SCARBOROUGH MERE) so went to (ROSEDALE lake) Hummanby best day`s fishing, Roach,& rudd on 4mtr WHIP(DOWN BOY);.) did that most of the day just like fishing when I was a lad pin&cane the best.

At 4 went on to the feeder ProLogic this is one hell of a rod cost ?119 with lifetime guarantee now that has got to be the best deal. soaked 2ltr of trout pellets for the cage & 4ml exspanders for the hook got smashed on first cast, missed on next AND then wham tip went that way -> rod went round -> then <- ->-> this way and that way a good 20 min blood sweat and MY GOD this cream coloured thing boiled on top then went up the lake then down and down by the way at my feet it was 20ft down and then it saw the net well it saw the net 3 times and with some help (THANKYOU FOR YOUR HELP SORRY TOLD YOU MY NAME, ALAN DID NOT GET YOURS OR YOUR WIFES NAME but did give them this site and told them to look 4 ferret hi) and all of my bait as they were over here (SCARBOROUGH) for the week fishing and the rest you know holliday things,then it was in the net 10bl plus mirror carp took lots and lots of photos film full see this space next 48 hours all will be here I hope. And it`s down to this site for all of your help SO THANKS Fm

M

MaNick

FERRET!!!!!!!!...

slow down man!!!... i'm out of breath just reading it!...

J

jason fisher

took you long enough to read it he posted it a month ago.

C

Carl Madigan

Darren as for your question on bait I've had more success this year with maggots on commercial waters for carp (3 on a size 16). As the weather cools sweetcorn scores but again don't forget the wriggly things worms are great bait. Bread flake is a great bait and it'll probably be in next months IYCF as the next new secret bait.

N

Neil Laing

Carl,
I was thinking of giving maggots a try again as the temperatures start to drop. Don't want to mess about with that medussa rig thing. What size carp are you landing on a size 16?
Neil.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

As regards buying expensive tackle here are a few more serious tips.

The items of tackle I never skimp on are hooks and lines. I'm very fussy indeed about both. I am alway testing lines for knot strength and breaking strain.

Secondly buy the best reels you can afford. A sticking clutch or a bale arm that jams can lose you that fish of a lifetime. These days I tend to stick with the tried and tested makes. Shimano and to a lesser extent Daiwa.

As for rods, I have bought many second hand top quality rods in my life. The most important aspect of any rod is the rings. Make sure they are not cracked or grooved.

The easiliest way the check this is to pull a bit of silk stocking through each ring.

If you want a decent carp rod, buy the throw outs from tackle tarts who are always changing their rods like the wind. A friend of mine aquired two top class carp rods which will double as pike rods for ?50.

C

Cakey

and where do you get the silko's from ron.....
the thing with tackle is you buy cheap you buy again !
so its better to spend a bit more the first time

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I'm not talking about about anglers like yourself Cakey, I am talking about those carp anglers to whom the sport is a fashion staement. They have to have the latest in colour or brand name rods, other wise they lose their street cred.

Ask The Monk about street cred. In today's modern world it's more important than being able to achieve!!

It is far more important to be able to POSE, than to actually DO what you are supposed to be doing.

How long do you keep a set of carp rods Cakey?

20 years, 30 years or even longer.

In business and politics this is also true. I learned a simple fact some years ago. What is done is not important. What is seen to be done, is far more important.

Blairite policies are typical of this. That's why this country is in such a mess.

C

Cakey

Sorry Ron Im a 54 year old poser in your eyes, new rods reels every 2-3 years but then I think even your mate **** Walker would of loved todays rods and reels and probably had the best around had he been around now !

J

Jeff (Cheeky Monkey) Woodhouse

You can be a poser and it not cost too much.

Eg, 11 years ago I bought a neat little Shimano reel for ?25, a clear-out line. I loved it and have used it continuously.

Then I saw a new Shimano, same size, but different - top of the range in USA, 6 bearings, twin paddle handle, front drag, the muts nuts. Bought it for ?32 (about the USA discount price $56) and then put my old one up for sale. It fetched ?14 to my disbelief.

So to me, there are two ways to look at it. The old one only cost ?11 for 11 years use, ?1 per year isn't bad - OR - the new one only cost me ?18 for a right bobby-dazzler. Can't say that you could do that with a cheaper reel though.

C

Cakey

Start carp fishing buy the cheapest reel possible then after a while realise that a baitrunner is easier than rapping ones knuckles,then a little while later decide that a bigger spool is needed so buy a big pit diawa then a little while after miss the bait runner so off we go again and buy a big pit bait runner !
4 reels later we are now happy but 5 mins on here could of saved a few quid in reels !
now for rods..........................