John Ledger Memorial Fish-in, River Idle

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Does Stu know it's tradition for the winner to buy the first round?

It's gonna be a big un! :eek:

I just look on it as more of a challenge.:wh

Finding the space in your wallet is the biggest challenge!!! ;)

We're heading off at 4am tomorrow :eek: should be there for 7.30am

Reaction score
Spiders forecasts that the only thing moving on the Woodhead will be Torvil and Dean..so it could be the M62 detour.....may be setting off 4 hours ago!!

Seriously take it easy folk if t'fog is as bad as it is now. may get to see a float tip at about midday!!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
That's a shame Nigel, see you at the next one....mine or yours?

Goodnight peeps, alarm set for 3am :eek:

Safe journey to all, see you there.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Hope you all have a good one You jammie so and so's (wish i was going).

Rickrod

Reaction score
Just looked on google for you and it said page error

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:37 ----------

The gate inn, Misterton, Doncaster, Dn1o 4ba 01427 890746

dezza

Reaction score
A remarkable discovery!!

Whilst waiting in the breakfast queue this morning at the Haxey Gate Inn, I did something unusual. I grabbed a cup, stuck a teabag in it and put it under the hot water supply, or so I thought.

In went the sugar and milk, a quick stir and I was sitting down waiting for the full English, when I noticed that the tea tasted better than normal. "That's strange" I thought, and just as I was about to ask the waiter where she got the teabags from I realised that by accident I had topped up my cup with coffee.

But it tasted wonderful!

So what shall we call it? Cea or Toffee?

What do you think?

Reaction score
Doh Ron,

We worked that one out yesterday morning!!!!! :)

Why not market it as your own brand ..."Rontea" perhaps!

Joking aside...despite the distinct lack of fish for those of us in the match (with the notable exception of JK's last 10 minutes) it was a wonderful day.

The hospitality at the Haxey Gate Inn was excellent. They even read this thread in advance.....so next year it may be better to work out the smuggling of people into rooms outside of a public forum!!:wh:wh

Absolute pleasure to meet folk I've been talking to through this forum at long long last ...and to renew old friendships.:w:w

Looking forward to the next FM event....they really are worth going to...my target for 2010 is to actually catch something at one!!!

And "the wallet".....it does exist....I even saw him with it open..it was breakfast and I think he thought nobody was looking. Mind you it looked thin...and did not emit a golden glow.....I bet he has a team of wallet look-a-likes!!!:cool:

Last edited:

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Just got home, three and a half hours each way, glad we stayed over.

Thanks to landlady for the hospitality and lovely food. I'll be more careful with what I say on the forum next time ;) I wouldn't have let Townsend crash on the floor anyway, he snores worse than Spewitts Uncle!!!

We had a great time as usual, I don't know if anyone is doing a write up? Probably not cos there aint a lot to write about on the fish front. Good to meet new faces and catch up with some old friends again. Congrats to JK for sticking it out until the end, lesser mortals would have packed up early and got stuck into the whisky :wh and thanks to JK for putting most of his winnings into the beer kitty, nice one mate.

Fortunately for me and Wendi we were not in the match and happened to find the fish. I had a lovely time trotting a stick which I haven't done for ages! And managed to get a bite a chuck, only little taddlers up to 4ozs but good fun. Wendi managed to catch three jacks and lost two, the last when Spiders and Poshers where heckling her from the bridge during the fight. They all came at the end of the day in a 20 minute feeding spree.

It was nice to see the Sword and his mate this morning (sorry I didn't know your name?) hope you both had some pike.

Roll on Jan' 23rd for the Bristol Avon fish-in, there's still plenty of spaces if anyone fancies it?

Anyway, well done to Sean for organising another great get together (I think he is blanking on the Don with Jeff, muffin, spewitt and uncle spewitt at the mo')

Reaction score
the last when Spiders and Poshers where heckling her
We weren't heckling....we just shouted abuse. Nothing else...just the word abuse!!

Good to see see you and Wendi again and meet Jeff. Noticed a distinct lack of any 32oz steaks.

JK was extremely good company and generous. The Bateman's beer was excellent.

Thanks to Sean for the organisation...I think Spiders and I are threatening to accompany him on a trip in the Chesterfield area in about a week......that's hardly a fare reward for the hard work he put in!!!

dezza

Reaction score
It was a great weekend with good company. Unfortunately the Idle lived up to its reputation of being a fickle mistress. The fish were tightly shoaled up as I proved on the Friday by catching 30 roach. I fished a different spot yesturday and never had a touch.

Steve also found the fish tightly shoaled and caught a fair number whilst Wendi had 3 pike.

Sean's organisation was spot on.

J K

Reaction score
What a great day. It really was good to meet so many friendly people and put names to faces.

Catching fish was beginners luck. In hindsight I should have nipped off somewhere just after we packed up and had a pound on the lottery. :)

Eddie Hirst

Reaction score
I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday, was nice to finally put faces to the names!
I just wanted to thank everyone for making me feel welcome, and Jeff, when we get down to Bristol, I owe you a pint mate :)

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Just got home, three and a half hours each way, glad we stayed over.

Anyway, well done to Sean for organising another great get together (I think he is blanking on the Don with Jeff, muffin, spewitt and uncle spewitt at the mo')

-He was when we left...... Nice strech, but strangly fished just the same as the Idle........:(

Another great weekend..... Shame about the toilet seat...... sent the old'boy in to 'break' the news - too much of a coward myself!

Really tired now - whould have got more sleep next to an active machine gun battery! :)