John Ledger Memorial Fish-in, River Idle

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Welcome to fishing Northern style chaps!!!

Nice to see you all, even though the fishing was dire.

I thought that landlady was well fit.........And she kept giving me the eye..........And I got extra sausage and bacon on me plate...........And an extra Yorkshire........Could do with softer floors in those rooms though........My back's killing!!!

Hope she's stopped reading this now!!!!!!!!!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I thought that landlady was well fit.........And she kept giving me the eye..........And I got extra sausage and bacon on me plate...........And an extra Yorkshire........Could do with softer floors in those rooms though........My back's killing!!!

Hope she's stopped reading this now!!!!!!!!!

Mike, I didn't like to say nuffink, but I noticed it too! I thought she had a bit of yorkshire pudding stuck in her eye and that was why she was blinking so much, I didn't realise she was aiming the winks at you! And I thought you paid extra for the large brekkie? It all makes sense now.....

Good luck with the op' tomorrow mate.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Jeff you've more chance of catching a 30 lb barbel than getting a pint out of eddie

Last edited:

Morespiders

Reaction score
Well!!, what can i say ?, exept what a poor show by the lot of you, did nobody try exept my mate JK, just to show you all how bad you were Spiller caught fish non stop.

JK nearly didnt come thinking he would be outclassed by the creme of FM, no worries ther JK, well done mate, thanks for the beer.

No doubt if i had fished i would have won, good job i was there just in an advisory capacity and not fishing.

Mr Dexter, keep practising, i told Eddie to watch you and learn, he said after the match, I thought you told me he was good, I had to tell him i was only kidding to save face.

Marsden, you must learn patience my boy, and not to pack up after 20minutes fishing, plus, you eat far to much.

Ewitt, dont lean so far back in your chair, most of the time you were looking at the sky, your supposed to look at your float.

M Meeghan, good organisation, pity about your angling ability, I have not seen you catch a fish yet, next time sit next to me or JK, and watch.

Townsend, the roach king, end peg as well, Spiller is even more dissolutioned, you broke the kids heart not catching, he was in tears, you was his hero.

Posh, you threw to big a shadow on the water with a winter sun, therefore lessening your chances

Spiller J, theres no barbel in that stretch, roach dont respond well to four oz bombs and twelve pound line, and 18mm boilies.

Ewitts uncle, well hes Ewitts uncle.

Eddie, it was yourfirst time with this shower, hopefully you will do better next time, and they didnt put you off coming again..

Beeccy, them Carlusso floats are a waste of time, next time try a dotted down small porkupine quill, fished double rubber.

Wendy well done girl, piker extraodinare, four big pike, bet Mr Spiller stood back whilst you removed the hooks.

As for me, I'm still washing the dog s---t off my umberella, and did anybody find an 20s hook, i dropped?.

Ron, Can I borrow your new 4wt flyrod, I need a spare for the bonefish in April?

Last edited:

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I've got to learn to stop beating round the bush and tell it like it is Spidee Man, just like you....

I've got to say it and it breaks my heart to do it, but yes, my roach hero (NO....., not Doc Roach!) let me down big time! Me and Wendi missed the draw, so when we wandered down for a chat and I found Townsend on the end peg I thought "that's it, game over, hand over the dosh to him"..........NOT! I'm devastated!

And when Marsbar sulked his way back to the bar after 20 minutes fishing mumbling something about "James Son"??? :confused: I knew it was gonna be another fish-in to remember....Ron told us that Marzipan had been infected with swine flu? I reckon it fished pants and Ron was looking out for the Boss ;):D

Anyway, Stu who? Scratchers level the playing field ;) (no offence Stu)

Get in there JK!

I haven't heard from Jeff yet? I assume he is still blanking with Muffin and Mr Miaghi somewhere on the Don???

Reaction score
I went back today and found your hook.......And a number 6 shot.......Result!

Keep the shot ..but please, please send him the hook back.

He went on and on about it so much that the satnav woman stopped talking to him...and without her when we go fishing with Sean next week we'll get lost on the moors again!

He's been going through a bad time recently....he's started hallucinating about overnight bream sessions (it's the tobacco!!) but none of us have the heart to tell him he's not Graham Marsden...he's even asked for a wallet safe for Christmas.

He is so kind hearted with his charitable works taking Graham, Ed and Uncle Dave on the trips out from the home; but many of us knew there was a risk of becoming institutionalised (especially when he keeps sipping Nurse Cratchitt's special tea!).

Let him have his hook back; it will break his heart to open a new packet!:cool:

Last edited:

Morespiders

Reaction score
Keep the shot ..but please, please send him the hook back.

Ehh Posh, dont go telling him dont send the shot back, if they are mine, i want them back, they cost money.
Mr Townsend, send both back, and enclose a stamped addressed envelope, if i find they are not mine, I will return both forthwith, and you can trace the original owner, or owners

Last edited:

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
It takes more skill to recognise when you're wasting your time than to just carry on fishing and freezing your nuts off.:p

Who made the right decision, 14 others who carried on blanking and freezing?

Or me, packed up after three hours and sat in a warm pub watching Sky Sports, with several whiskies in my belly and my hands wrapped round another one?:w

You know who would have been with me had he been there? John Ledger!

When you lot have the experience it takes you'll know when to pack up as well as when to start.;)

Other than me, only JK made the right decision. And Ron, he knew when to pack up as well, but he wasn't in the match.:D

Well done John and thanks for the addition to the drinks pot!

And in spite of the dire fishing it was another excellent day enjoyed by all.

dezza

Reaction score
Whether it be in the extreme heat or the bitter cold, and I have experienced both this year, I am mindful of the famous words of the late and great Fred J Taylor.

"I'll be glad when I've had enough of this!"

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
What a shame the fishing wasn't up to much, right time of the year too. Was it the sudden cold spell do you think or have the roach been washed away with the recent high water?

Glad now that I opted to not to go in case it was too cold, bad for my ticker when its like that but it sounds the sort of river I could enjoy - when its fishing.

Wise decision Graham it takes years of experience to know when Sky sports offers more than an out of form river, did you remember to ask for your pool money back? :j

dezza

Reaction score
It wasn't so much out of form, as the fish were shoaled up very tightly.

I caught 30 roach up to 12oz on the stick on the Friday, all in the last 2 hours or so when the river slowed somewhat.

On the Saturday, I fished a different swim and never got a sucked maggot.

Steve Spiller had a huge shoal of small roach, skimmers and bleak right in front of him.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Well I followed a blank day on the Idle with another blank day on the Don! Don't listen to anything Spiders says. He was fishing the match and he did no better than anybody else. Advisory capacity - who does he think he's kidding!

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Well guys and gal it was a pleasure to meet you all again and to make fleeting aquaintences with one or two new faces. The main reason apart from needing to return home reasonably early was that i was saving my undoubted expertise for my assault on the carp and bream that inhabit Lindholme lakes in huge numbers but i have to report that myfive hour sojourn resulted in much the same as 99% of your valiant efforts namely a blank. Never mind i have commited myself to another session with Beecy before the seasons end and im convinced we shall empty the place LOL.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Well I followed a blank day on the Idle with another blank day on the Don! Don't listen to anything Spiders says. He was fishing the match and he did no better than anybody else. Advisory capacity - who does he think he's kidding!

What a horrible thing to say Mr Meeghan, I advised you all, that nobody had, had a bite all day, suppose you could say i was an advisory bank walker, passing on much information as to how the match was unfolding.

Anyway at 10-25am i decided to have a mosey around only to find Mr Dexter, and Mr Spiller merrily trotting away, myself and JK were waiting for the all in whistle at 10-30am, so off i went back to my peg and informed my good mate, The Winner JK the match had started, five minutes later, my match was in ruins, as you all know i dropped a new hook in the grass, and spent an hour looking for it, glad to report Mr Townsend has hopefully found it and will return it in time for christmas.
Unfortunatly, I did not have the heart to carry on after such a loss, im a softie really.:D

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Very good Sean.

I was rather surprised to find the 'wipe it's ar$e and leave the horns on' steak wasn't on the menu. I thought it would have been a favourite dish amongst all them rufty tufty Noverners.....

It was a great weekend, I hope the price of petrol falls by next December.....£70 there and back :eek: