Just a part-timer

J

James Snook

As a part time carp angler (cause my main love of fishing is of a different type), I need a variety of boilies which are likely to work. The carp I am fishing for are not often targeted (at least not by anybody who is any good), and are not likely to be wise to boilies yet.

I don't mind going quite a lot to get the carp interested in the boilies, and inherently want a variety which are proven to work, and I don't need to re-mortgage my house to afford.

Any ideas please

Tight Lines - James

C

Carp Angler

James.....big list of questions for you....1)Does it have to be boilies? are there particle bans etc?....2)What is the other angler pressure like?........3)What is the make up of the lake? depth, weed, gravel, sand, silt, etc etc...4)Any nuisance species?......Above all, don't believe all the hype put out by the bait companies.....come back with the answers to the questions and we'll try and help you out.........

J

James Snook

Mr Carp Angler (is that your real name?), the answers to your questions are like so.

1) There are no bait bans on this particular lake

2) The other angling pressure is far from huge, with a max of 30 people fishing there per week (and only about 5 of them for the carp)

3) Depth varies from about 4ft at the non-dam end, to 8ft at the damn end. Mo real weed problem to speak of. May have gravel bars but I would have no idea where. The bottom is composed of silt, although it is not that soft

4) By nusiance species I assume you mean other than carp. There is a large head of bream and tench, both of relatively good sizes. Then there is the obvious roach, rudd, perch etc etc, and a load of pike.

Regards - James

C

Carp Angler

James,....this water and you seem an obvious candidate for tiger nuts. There is no need to prebait, they are not readily accepted by other lake species, they are as instant a bait, other than naturals, that you can get. And now you can by them in a can, Frenzied Tiger Nuts, soaking in their own syrupy sweet juices.....mmmmmm tigersssssss.... Firstly find the carp, either by sight or by finding a suitable bar, plateaux or gully at the windward end.( Out comes the marker rod I'm afraid) you'll want to fish two or three on a hair with a piece of cork to critically balance them. Short stiff rig ( 2 to 4 inches) should do the trick, pult out, or dry off and pva bag, about 20 or 30 freebies.....NO MORE!!! around each hookbait, any left over at the end of the session can be frozen in the juices and used again at a later date... happy haulin'

K

Kevan Garrett

Hi James,Carp Angler is right again,although i personally would reduce the amount of freebies to about 10 per rod.If it is a cheap boilie you want, try this one,i promise you it works,and i use it a lot in the summer month.
1.500grms ground rice
2.500grms semolina
3.a bottle of banana cake flavouring
from asda or alike
4.a bottle of egg yellow colouring.
5.5 eggs

mix the eggs,flavouring and colouring together in a bowl.
Slowly add,in equal amounts,the rice and semolina, until you have a nice non sticky dough.
Now break pieces off and roll into balls of differing sizes and shapes,and boil for 2 mins.Leave to dry out overnight.You can now use them straight away or freeze them.
ground rice=60p
semolina =60p
flavouring =40p
colouring =40p
eggs =75p
?2.75 for about a kilo......cheap and i promise they work.
Kevan..

K

Kevan Garrett

make sure the semolina you use is the very fine powdered type,sainsbury`s own is to much like a suger granual,and does not work well.Ibuy mine from asda or the co-op.
kevan.