Just watched 150lb of prime tench stocked into a club lake…

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Beauties to 6lb..
88B78C6E-5433-491E-BBC1-F9DAEA1DA835.jpeg
D7CD6A01-CC4F-40A4-8DC7-44D6115F4354.jpeg

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Wish there’d take all the Carp out!
There is a chance the carp will out feed the tench, and after a while you will be thinking there are no tench in there.
A club I was in, stocked tench and removed the majority of the carp by rod and line ,this is still ongoing, there are about 5 left in there.
In the meantime some bright spark decided to stock crucians before these carp were removed, so now there is a chance of interbreeding.
The tench that were stocked were between 8oz and 4lb. They provide good sport.
I and a few others asked for ide to be stocked in one pool to provide good winter sport. The club stocked small roach and skimmers instead.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Looks like another big carp lake is trying for a monoculture! I have been a similar beneficiary of such a blinkered outlook. Very grateful I am too. The chances of me ever seeing a 6lb+ tench locally were rather small without it. The most joyous aspect is that the fish we've had have actually packed weight on. There was an element of fear that they'd stagnate and go backwards being so far north in a cold/deep pit.

Keith M

Reaction score
The Tench is my favourite species by far?

If I could get rid of 'almost' all of the carp and Bream in our estate lake and replace them with Tench (like it used to be before the match and carp Anglers took hold of the reigns) then I'd be a really happy man ?

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Lovely tench.
Our lake must be unique judging by the comments on the carp stockings. We have a healthy match group and a lot of pleasure anglers as well as a carp syndicate.
The carp fishing is not easy. Its extremely rare for anyone other than a carper to hook one. They seem to be nocturnal so the various factions never cross swords.
The match catches consist of skimmers, roach and perch and the occasional lucky tench. Quite a balanced water . The only moan is the occasional skimmer lost to a pike.

hague01

Reaction score
Some 3 years ago when guru took over Norton Disney they said the plan was to move all the tench into one lake. I have nurtured the dream of fishing there, even finding a good hotel near there recently. I asked last week which lake they were in, only to be told it didn't happen. Very sad. Booked Oak lane southminster tomorrow in hope of reacquainting with my favourite fish.

Keith M

Reaction score
I think your lake sounds great John, I wish ours was like yours.

Unfortunately our lake (which cannot be named) is also devoid of Pike (after various pollution incidents that happened many years ago) so unfortunately we don't even get the occasional skimmers being lost to any Pike like you do on your lake.

Plus the carp in our lake often feed right around the clock, plus in a much larger lake just upstream of our small fairly shallow 2.5 acre lake some idiots llegally stocked a few catfish which have now grown and spread downstream into our lake; and unfortunately it seems that a lot of the roach; and a lot of the rudd that used to wander in large shoals just under the surface have also unfortunately virtually disappeared as well as the once fairly prolific but now devoid Tench and crucians.

It's not really surprising that the Tench and crucians have now gone as the glut of Bream who now wander across the bottom like herds of cattle are leaving very little food left on the bottom for the other fish after they have gone through.
Now all we virtually have left are Bream, carp and a few catfish and a small and ever decreasing number of roach and rudd

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'd love to think those tench will establish themselves but I suspect they'll vanish or struggle to get a look in among the carp. I hope I'm wrong.....at least they are a respectable size and not bars of soap but 150lb is not that many if they really do go to 6lb.

steve2

Reaction score
It is rare to find good mixed fishing these days those that have it should guard it and stop stocking carp and catfish.

Philip

Reaction score
Lovely Tench.

I see the FM Carping Capers are ramping up again across a few threads so to balance it up a little..

Horseshoe was one of the best Tench waters in the country, you couldnt get a more « Carp » orientated lake if you tried…it was even owned by the Carp society.

Wraysbury produced a record Tench as did Sheepwalk…another 2 famous carp waters.

Johnsons & Larkfield …2 famous Kent Carp lakes …also produced huge bags of big Tench.

..I could go on..

Tench cant live with Carp ? …sorry…thats just wrong..

Of course if people want to cherry pick the worst possible extreme examples such as the over stocked moon crator crammed with so many Carp that the water boils then I suspect anything would struggle to survive with them but thats a tiny % & there are an awful lot of other waters available anyone could fish if they wanted to.

Last edited: