keep warm this winter

M

MARK FRAME

how do you keep warm when fishing in winter personally I wear a pair of jogging bottoms and t shirt with a fleece jumper under a one piece suit.
couple this with a pair of thick socks and skeetex moon boots and a hat with fingerless gloves and you can brave the elements however cold it is.
I've found soup in a flask keeps the cold out for longer.
does any body have any other ways they want to share or is this generally across the board the same as everyone else.

S

Stewart Bloor

I find myself out in ALL kinds of weather, so keeping warm (or attempting to !!) is a priority. I have a Sundridge all in one suit, and neoprene socks and gloves. I bought the socks from a tackle shop in Canada, figuring if they use them in their EXTREME temperatures,they should suit me in England ! I've also got Sundridge boots and a thermal hat.
Sedge

P

paul williams

Another very important factor is mobility, when covering a lot of ground it is possible to overheat, sweat and then chill when static, in these circumstances i have found light layers system best, topped by the all important wind proof top layer, there is alot to talk about here! article Graham?

Alan Roe

Reaction score
I tend to go with Paul on this one the light layers system is more adaptable for changing circumstances. I also prefer a two piece jacket and trousers to a one piece suit I use a bib and brace type of bottom as this prevents the horible cold spots around the kidneys!the waterproofs I prefer are unlined as it allows me to decide on the degree of thermal protection I need for a given day.
The good news for todays anglers is the improvements that have occured in clothing design and materials in recent years. Those of us who were brought up on waxed cotton and wellies would never want to go back to them!!

P

Philip Inzani

I wear Skeetex boots and the thing I really hate is when I am moving around alot my socks tend to work their way off my feet. I end up trying to wear really tight uncomfortable socks to stop them falling off. Anything I can do or buy to help ?

P

paul williams

Philip, I dont wear socks anymore with moonboots for the reasons you state, my feet still stay warm.

J

John Tait

Sundridge HeavyWeight two-piece, and HotFoot Boots - I find these ideal for sat-still sessions - gets a wee bit warm if moving about much though.

But of course, the advantage is that I can remove the jacket, or the bib/brace trousers if needs be.

P

Philip Inzani

Paul, nice idea....mind you if you saw the inside of my current liners you might think twice about the lack of socks! Time for some new ones I think.

...ever come across those bottomless mud bathes disguising themselves as a tiny shallow ditch ?

J

Jon Moores

Definately has to be the light layers, so you can put the warmest gear in your bag when walking any distance.
My usual winter gear is jogging bottoms, t shirt, polo neck, sweatshirt and fleece. Waterproofs are then a thin breathable jacket & trousers from ESP

S

Stewart Bloor

Paul Williams saying he doesn't wear socks anymore explains a lot. Last time we were out together fishing, I wondered what that smell was. And there was me thinking it was some new innovative bait concoction.......

P

paul williams

Thats rich from a guy who owns a fleece thats impregregnated with Hutchies secret agent, and clears restaurants!!!!snigger.

S

Stewart Bloor

Come on Paul, don't exaggerate. I admit the Secret Agent bit, but the restaurant cleared when Graham Marsden opened his wallet, and due to not being opened for a LONG time, the resultant stale odours set off the fire alarm.