Keeping maggots in fridge ???

Reaction score
The biggest issue is taking them out in warmer temperatures,you shorten the maggot stage span,your only real choice is to take pretty well what you expect to use(difficult),or carry bait in a cool bag/box and only bring out small amounts,if maggot is held in the fridge from buying deterioration is slowed,maggot is a bait I use less in the summer these days,but I dont find the fish are fussed that the bait is tough,unless they are starting to cast,they are garbage then....

Richox12

Reaction score
What's your best idea for keeping maggots as soft-skinned as possible? They get unattractively - to fish - rubbery after a while in the fridge. Maize meal keeps them dry. Bran is an alternative I've used lately.
It's all very well keeping them alive; keeping them in good condition proves tougher.

Exactly that. The longer you keep them the tougher they get and they also shrink a lot.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
What's your best idea for keeping maggots as soft-skinned as possible? They get unattractively - to fish - rubbery after a while in the fridge. Maize meal keeps them dry. Bran is an alternative I've used lately.
It's all very well keeping them alive; keeping them in good condition proves tougher.

Actually, there are times when it seems harder to kill maggots than to keep them alive. Sunday lunchtime I killed half a pint of maggots by the usual method when I want them to stay plump and keep their colour - in a bag, air out, in a tub of water, progressively adding hot water from the kettle til all wriggling ceases (too hot too quick and they blanche) and leaving the bag in the hot water for a while. They stayed dead through Sunday evening's session. The remainder stayed dead in the fridge til Tuesday evening. After remaining "dead" for a few hours in the sun, they started to move again as I was packing up....
Have you tried sawdust, ? Or wood shavings, available from Pets at Home, I used to use it on mine when had big bait fridge and trays.
The longer they are in fridge the tougher they come, can be ideal if plagued with bits on the whip , around 10 fish per maggot, In my case I would only need 4 maggots, two for feeding and two for bait?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've always used maize meal myself and never had a problem. Maggots will, naturally, get a little tougher after a while but regular riddling and keeping them in the 'fridge in maize meal in large trays keeps them in top condition for longer.

I was a partner in a tackle company in Norway (an enjoyable side line) where we would import maggots every two weeks for resale at the matches that were every second intervening weekend. Using that method above we rarely had any costly fatalities and sold maggot in decent condition.

If I ever needed dead maggot then placed in a bag in the freezer always did the trick.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score

Actually, there are times when it seems harder to kill maggots than to keep them alive. Sunday lunchtime I killed half a pint of maggots by the usual method when I want them to stay plump and keep their colour - in a bag, air out, in a tub of water, progressively adding hot water from the kettle til all wriggling ceases (too hot too quick and they blanche) and leaving the bag in the hot water for a while. They stayed dead through Sunday evening's session. The remainder stayed dead in the fridge til Tuesday evening. After remaining "dead" for a few hours in the sun, they started to move again as I was packing up....

The pellet pump keeps the maggots in the same state they were before all the air is pumped out, the exact same effect works by just taking all the air from a bag using a vacuum cleaner. You just have to remember to let the maggots breath every day for a few minutes.
I've said this over and over again but it seems folk just aren't listening or unbelievers. It really does work but I won't waste my time saying it again.
Try it or don't you unbelievers, your loss. You are right Kev, the fridging of maggots gives them a tough skin, not too much trouble in summer, winter time it matters a lot.
I don't normally get twitchy sorry.

nottskev

Reaction score
The pellet pump keeps the maggots in the same state they were before all the air is pumped out, the exact same effect works by just taking all the air from a bag using a vacuum cleaner. You just have to remember to let the maggots breath every day for a few minutes.
I've said this over and over again but it seems folk just aren't listening or unbelievers. It really does work but I won't waste my time saying it again.
Try it or don't you unbelievers, your loss. You are right Kev, the fridging of maggots gives them a tough skin, not too much trouble in summer, winter time it matters a lot.
I don't normally get twitchy sorry.

I was interested, but I didn't quite get it. What type of pump do you use? I'm not a big pellet user, so I've just got a small Ringer's pump that I do a few expanders for hookers in now and then. I'd guess it holds about 1/4 pint, so that's a bit limiting, plus the seal is not that great, as shown by the fact that you often have to work it a few times to get it to seal and make a vacuum. I concluded mine wouldn't be reliable in keeping a seal for 24 hours. That's why I didn't comment, but it sounds good if your set-up works. I agree that a softer bait matters more the less the fish are keen to feed., as you say.

rayner

Reaction score
I've got two browning pellet pumps, truthfully they are useless for pellets they take too mu faff to make them useable. The seal holds well enough they last long enough, especially giving the maggots fresh air daily. They hold roughly 1 and a half pint each.
I use plenty of casters Kev, some times I get through 6pints a week in warmer months and at 3 quid a pint they're too expensive just to throw in.
I keep the pumps in the fridge but there's no need.;) pumped casters hold their colour staying lighter I very rarely use water preferring the crisp shell you get with dry casters?
The Browning pellet pumps are only about 8 quid the second one I have was a gift because they are so bad, to pump them a splash of water around the top of the pump where the plunger fits helps no end to get a good seal.

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I hate wasting casters too. Maggots, I can cheerfully chuck, but casters, no. And I've kept worms for a couple of months feeding them chicken feed. For that price, one would pay for itself in no time so I'll watch out for one. I've got a feeling I paid more for the titchy Ringer one I've got.

rayner

Reaction score
I don't throw even the smallest amount of maggots, they do well in a pellet pump. Folk that throw bait must be loaded(n)
For feeding worms, the best thing I think is banana just cut them in half the worms do the rest. If you have them in a tub just give them a piece of banana.(y)

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
My pellet pump is the Preston Innovations "syringe " style, it would hold a few maggots at the most. I had a Browning pump, thought is was useless.
I think Used Tackle/Dragon Carp brought something out a few years ago for keeping bait fresh. Worked similar to pellet pump.In fact they were plastic bags with a seal where you could pump all the air out,in a similar way to the large ones for bedding etc , that compress the bedding for space saving.

Just Paul 1

Reaction score
The biggest issue is taking them out in warmer temperatures,you shorten the maggot stage span,your only real choice is to take pretty well what you expect to use(difficult),or carry bait in a cool bag/box and only bring out small amounts,if maggot is held in the fridge from buying deterioration is slowed,maggot is a bait I use less in the summer these days,but I dont find the fish are fussed that the bait is tough,unless they are starting to cast,they are garbage then....
Thankyou