Keith Culley Memorial - time for a better venue?

S

Scott Whatmore

This was my 1st year at Clattercote and apart from getting sea sick when someone was walking on the boards, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I'd never tried the method but gave it a go with gusto. From info gleamed, it seemed the right thing to do. With hindsight I probably went at the mothod with too much gusto because by 3pm I'd had 3 skimmers and a tench. I sat there for the most part motionless(except for those damn boards) waiting for the well renowned wrap around that didn't come.
I'd set the top 5 of my pole up so decided to go for some small stuff close in. Best thing I could have done, roach after roach (one roach was a real clonker, easily over a pound) had me sitting there happy as Larry. If I'd started out that way, or swapped sooner, I'm sure I could easily have doubled my weight (something I did once before when I packed up the dreaded weed)
I knew I wasn't going to win this way, but for me that wasn't the point.
It wouldn't suit everyone but hey ho!

My plan for next year = Method early on but if the carp don't want to play, lighten up and go for silvers close in.

Hit n hold under the boards just aint for me. But thats my choice.

I'm in favour of keeping it where it is.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I didnt enjoy the type of fishing that was necessary this time but it hasn't happened before so maybe it won't again other than that I quite like the place. Its not the sort of place where everyone is going to bag up thats for sure but every dog has its day as they say and it is a social thing as much as a match.

If guys wanted a match on a venue such as Drayton which is far more prolific (but you can blank there as well I'm told) then it is very easily arranged surely but as a seperate match to Clattercote. I suppose it is possible to arrange a match anywhere really, Earleswood lakes, Woodlands View or Moorlands Farm are others that are central too but you would probably need to book well in advance for those.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Despite blanking two years on the trot now I would still return to Clattercote. If nothing else I have a score to settle there by landing a fish.

I don't fish matches and so my techniques are not comparible to the standards set by most of the other attendees but I still enjoy it.

I see it more as a personal challenge which if I improve I could evolve into a more competetive streak.

I was dissapointed to blank but it was a trying day for all, the only thing I would possibly agree with is a change to the time of year.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
My "DNW" was frustrating but entirely down to me, not the venue. I've glimpsed the best of that venue and feel appropriately fired up to give it another go.

I'm an ex matchman and want to win. Mostly unrealistic high hopes but seeing how a "grey haired old bream basher" overcame some tough conditions and pretty much walked away with it, I can't let that happen again without a concerted effort to improve my skills!

I wouldn't mind a go at Drayton or Boddington though! Lee, get your organisation hat on!

W

Wolfman Woody

"I can't let that happen again "

Join me and Stu Dexter and we'll both kick his tackle in next year.

S

Steve Wilson

Clattercote has a magic of its own

if you change the venue i will guarantee that you will regret it

Drayton AS someone said earlier IS a heart breaker

Stockton is a lovely place but unless you are intune with the place, it too can be hard to fish

Boddington now that the platforms are finished, would be a good place for everyone to catch fish but it hasnt got what Clattercote has got

A CERTAIN MAGIC

F

Fred Bonney

Not read the report yet,just back from the States.
I was not at the first one,or two,but I assume,there was a reason for having the

KEITH CULLEY MEMORIAL TROPHY

at Clattercote.

Move the date to later,if we must,but not the venue.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Do we want to all sit round a pond which has the possiblity of a 200lb catch, in the certain knowledge that one of the 'match' anglers amongst us will walk off with the title (again)

Or should we stay at Clatercote for this particular match because for most of us it can, and does, offer a challenge.

Whether that challenge comes in the form of using tactics you wouldn't normally employ in your fishing such as method feeder or baggin' waggler, to the frankly bizarre fishing under the boards, you get a chance to try something different

Whilst a good angler on a good peg will always be in with a chance, for some of us, just being there and doing something a bit out of the ordinary (and hopefully catching a fish or two) is reward enough, and by and large Clattercote has proved a pretty level playing field over the years

Add to that the social aspect and a chance to meet up with fellow FM members it would seem that the current format (for this particular event)is just about right.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I agree Kevin and I was thinking exactly the same as Fred.

Move the date, but not the venue.

Mark, if you have any ideas for a bag up venue where everyone catches put it forward mate, as an FM Fish-in.

It was my first time at Clattercote and the day was about The Keith Culley Memorial Trophy. I never met Keith, but he must have been a top bloke if FM have an annual match in remembrance of him at Clattercote.

That's what it's all about, aint it?

W

Wolfman Woody

View it how you like, but Clattercote is our opportunity to chip into the Coarse Fisherman Magazine Writers Retirement Fund, judging by the three previous years winners.

And Grumpy Marsbar is the first of the trio to actually draw a benefit from it being as he's now reached the magical retirement age. So wish him well and should he have his luggage fall off his trolley again next year, DO NOT help him. Call the hit squad and we'll all kick it in the lake instead.

This year I went with three plans. Finding myself at the bottom end I opted for plan C, fishing close in with the margin pole. A brilliantly conceived plan that was badly executed due to the reluctance of the fish to give themselves up a little more easily.

Next year I shall go with four plans and no doubt they will all fail one after the other after the other, like they always do.

Oh Lord, please let me prove to you that I will not behave in a smug and offensive manner if you would allow me to win this prestigious event.

Fat chance of that!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It's all down to the "draw" you know that Jeff, maybe one year you will get lucky?

You know as well as me, if the right angler gets the "draw" he/she is in with a shout.

That's match angling!

But it was a fun day too!

W

Wolfman Woody

Steve, What I wrote was tongue stuck well in cheek, but when you talk about luck, mine is nothing but bad - permanently!

Mind you, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have any luck at all.

I was born with the curse of Cain (or is it Cane or Kane?)

W

Wolfman Woody

Saying that, I had about 60-70 lbs of fish out today and three very nice carp on a fly rod.

F

Fred Bonney

"Mind you, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have any luck at all."

Now, there was a blues song,who did it?
I can't recall,Robin Trower?.

If it wasn't for bad luck.I'd have no luck at all.

Reaction score
As one of those who DNW I was all for chucking my tackle into Clattercote at the end of the match paticularly when the strap on my basket (It's only 35 years old for Gods sake) snapped just at the start of my trek from peg 43 to the car.

However, thinking about my lack of results when driving home, I started to become enthusiastic about the approach next year.

The 'list' grew as I drove home covering:-
1. Tactics next year (give each approach an hour - method, feeder, fishing under the boards, bagging waggler etc..)

2. Practice - all the above on my local lake - fine tuning each to get bites, then keep them. Try few local club matches and possibly a couple of visits to Clattercote.

Since arriving home and searching on the internet - one other forum has a reply from Steve ringer re Clattercote - Use the bagging waggler!

In Match Fishing magazine this month Alex Bones has written an article about using the bagging waggler on Clattercote using the Wagglers sold on the bank at Drayton reservoir.

Well that's probably a good summers fishing sorted - looking forward to next years event with much more confidence now.

Move from Clattercote - what after all that effort!!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Hmm...Had a look at the catch returns for that one Mark, the 26 areas listed make it seem a little bit 'peggy' I think if Stu Dexter or our very own Mr. Marsbar pulled one of those out of the hat we might as well all not bother!

1 1st Island 3
2 Alamo 48
3 All Alone 6
4 Bay 2
5 Beach 1
6 Bitterns 15
7 Boards 12
8 Chris's Bar 4
9 Dead Dog 15
10 Drum 11
11 In Between 3
12 In Willows 5