Keith Culley Memorial - time for a better venue?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

If ever needed i could probably get a good deal on the match lake, Marsh is a good friend of mine.

W

Wolfman Woody

"one other forum has a reply from Steve ringer re Clattercote - Use the bagging waggler! "

The the trouble with Steve Ringer, he's built his reputation on one method only, by the sounds of it.

The bailiff who came around (about 11:30) had a bucket full of bagging wagglers to sell, but just speeking to him for a couple of minutes he said he's would sell me any on that peg (52). They simply don't work because there's no depth of water as it shallows to around 2? feet towards the island.

You have to have 4 different approaches to this problem.

Reaction score
and three very nice carp on a fly rod.

It is a brave and confident man who reveals his revolutionary thinking so far in advance. Careful now, it won't be long before you can buy baggin buzzers and Nobble'em nymphs from the bank side...get your patent in now Woody.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I fear if the match is moved we may see some sort of FM breakaway similar to the World Darts Championship and we all know which of those is the real McCoy.

Mark, I think the consensus seems to be that Clattercote is a popular venue despite all its foibles.

Time to retreat perhaps Mark at least until next year when we all blank and prove you right.

As to timing it is difficult.I do not know the venue well but I suspect the fish in the shallower top end of the lake were mostly up in the boards area in preparation for spawning.There were obvioulsy fish further out in the lower pegs but they were patchy.Perhaps a move back to late April would avoid the risk of spawning issues.If the weather was colder and the carp not showing so much then it could be bream and tench match and that would be fun.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"The the trouble with Steve Ringer, he's built his reputation on one method only, by the sounds of it. "

Think you might find that the Ringers have built a reputation on their ability to catch fish anywhere Jeff, canal lake and river, they are seriously good match fishermen and employ whatever method suits the venue. They do tend to concentrate on carp venues thats true but not just the baggin waggler, if I remember right two of them won that annual ?25,000 match using the pole.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Wol....ain't the match lake the one with pussy in it?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Yes mate, doing some good fish at the mo.

Reaction score
I had never fished a match before last year but now as an FM match 'veteran' with two years DNW experience behind me at Clattercote, I wouldn't like to see the venue changed.

My first reason is perhaps a bit selfish but if we were to change to a more commercial, prolific and reliable venue where the pole is king, I would probably have to give it a miss as I?ve never wielded one in my life. Despite the premier importance of the day as a social event in memory of a fellow angler, I also like the delusion that I am in with a chance of framing...

Secondly I like the fact that a lot of the pegs at Clattercote are close together so you can have a natter with your neighbour. Also because of the boards you have to walk past your fellow anglers to get to your allotted spot so it gives everyone a chance to get to know people. If, like me, you can?t catch for toffee, at least you can watch someone next door who can (thanks Beecy, nice feeder fishing!).

Thirdly I personally think that a Memorial match should have continuity.

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
I can see where your coming from Mark. Clattercote can be very peggy and hard. Our club doesn't bother with it now for that reason.
But that is coming from a match anglers point of view. If the lads are enjoying it,then let it continue and to be fair anyone can win it then on any method.

As for Club Lake! Go pleasure fishing and sack up. Put a match on it and struggle.

Yacko

Reaction score
This year was my first ever match and visit to Clattercote and I blanked. Over-all it certainly wasn?t a wasted day, I got to meet fellow FM members ? patch up a slight misunderstanding with one of them and a lesson in being prepared to change tactics to suit the bizarre feeding habits of the carp.
I think after ?licking my wounds? I would make the early wake-up and 3 hour drive one more year. But if I blanked again that would probably be it, unless there was a suitable alternative FM match.
I think that wherever the match was held the social aspect and prospect of finding a good pub would be undiminished.
I feel a bit guilty that I don?t know who Keith Cully was and so I cannot justify the need for retaining the same venue on those grounds. It?s a shame that this venue proves too much of a challenge for many of us because in all other respects it?s fantastic. I would however prefer to be trounced by an experience matchman but get a 20-30 lb bag than to have my angling inadequacy highlighted every May with a total blank.
I am sure I will get put right pretty quickly but what about a rod & line float fishing only match ( I don?t own a pole!)

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

It went from pole only (and then we acted on complaints from those who don't pole fish) to rod and line float only (and then we acted on complaints from those who don't float fish) to any method.......

I see Clattercote as a venue that offers choices: pole, float, leger, carp, tench, silvers, big carp, small carp, which means making decisions at the start and then through the match.

Moving the match to a conventional commercial will undoubtedly put more fish in more nets, but it will be more of a lottery and those who are skilled with the pole will almost always come out top.

At Clattercote everyone has a chance providing they make the right decisions and then make the most of them.

If it helps I'm happy to arrange a 'practice' day at Clattercote before the match and offer help to those who want it.

Yacko

Reaction score
I would welcome the chance to improve my feeder/method fishing despite the distance, especially from a skilled bream expert. Just name the date & I'll be there for one.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Yacko,

Dont worry about fishing at distance.Most of the fish were under your where you were sitting!

Reaction score
Have we reached a consensus then or drifted off?

How about a vote amongst all past competitors?

I'm for keeping the venue and next year I intend taking Graham's crown :)

Ah! Made myself laugh there! I should amend that to intend weighing in!

J

Jeff Spiller

Agree with ****y, it's an enjoyable place to fish and I'd like to go back again next year, see if I can do better.
We didn't get any 100lb bags, but we did have good fun ( we did down our end ).

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Agreed, I liked the venue and have/will fish there again. It's a challenge, more so on a match, but it has a "good feel" to it.

I was super confident after a couple of pre-match visits but then was brought down to earth very quickly (as usual) by the requirements of match day itself.

I reckon I learnt a lot on the match day and intend to put it to good use next year. As has been said before, target number one = weigh in!!

B

Bully

Defo keep it. Missed it last 2 years, but would love to go back.