Kippers for Pike?

P

Paul Williams

Now either Alaster Rawlings is a great wind up merchant (yes better than you Barney!) or the guy does use kippers for his piking, and very succsefully to!!....i have pike fished for a good few years now and have even joked about using kippers years ago but even after reading of Alastair's succsess i still can't briing myself to try them!!! have any of you pikers had the bottle and give em ago? and did they catch?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I haven't used kippers for pike bait, but I have met Alistair Rawlings.....

P

Paul Williams

FOR SALE, 1 two stone box of Arbroth smokies....would consider exchange for decent sounder....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've got a sounder for sale in the Classifieds but the only Big Kipper I want I've already got - and my, how warm and snug it is! See Relum for details.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Me, a commercial animal, and you trying to flog kippers? That's a good 'un!

C

Chris Bishop

They do work. I tried them after reading some of the old Fen boys' stuff and caught odd fish on them. Snag is they fall to bits as soon as they thaw and I only ever took one or two out with me as a change bait, because I wouldn't have the confidence to fish them all day.

Something I've done better on is smoked mackeral fillets - the ones you buy vaccuum-sealed in bags. They're soft, again, but will stay on if you freeze them.

One snag is they sink very slowly and some of them float, depending on amount of oil in them, meaning they're best fished on leger rigs.

I missed quite a few fish on them, usually ending up reeling in a baitless trace - I don't know if they were eels, or the baits breaking up as the fish took them, meaning the hooks just fell out.

A

Andrew Calvert

I don't fancy Kippers as bait, but it is plausible when I tell you I've witnessed a mate catch a pike on a wobbled banana after we had ran out of bait. Ok, it's a little fished small hole we go to on the occasional early morning for a confidence booster as it's just full of fish, but nonetheless one did take a wobbled banana (fyfes).

C

Carp Angler

Double bright red 18mm boilies retrived at a steady pace usually does the business for me.
The take usually appears right under the rod tip and when you are least expecting it.
Exhilerating? Well I could think of other terms.........

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Can anyone tell me how to get a canned Southern Atlantic Namibian pilchard to stay on the hook?

R

Robert Woods 1

I have used ASDA boil-in-bag kippers. Used them on Bridgy Canal but swans soon found them. Then after I ran out of sardines on local mere caught an 18lb'er on one. Bait only out for 5mins.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

You could always re-freeze the kippers if you take some plumbers freezing spray with you.