knowledge.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I don't know where to start, I've learnt so much and have a lot still to learn. I think the biggest impact has been on the smaller details which have helped me, things like tying knots in a certain way where I struggled before and in the Simple tips thread that you started recently there are plenty of examples of such things.

This forum shows how differences of opinion can be a good thing when posters accept that their way isn't the only way of doing something.

rayner

Reaction score
I know I pick up tips that I didn't know, especially the little tips that are so obvious in how simple they are. I think it's easy to overthink things. Well in my case it is. If I have a question regarding tackle for example there's always someone who knows.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is close to 19 years since I joined FM and over that time with all the articles, the Fish-Ins and fishing friendships I think I have learnt a heck of a lot especially in methods that were new to me.

In the game of fishing I think we are always leaning . . . . .

Keith M

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone really knows it all and we are always learning no matter how long we’ve been fishing. And just when you think you’ve sussed something along comes something that throws your ideas to the wind.
And those anglers that think they know it all are all just dreamers.

This forum doesn’t have dreamers but it has a great many really good anglers who are all willing to swap ideas and help each other out, and this is what makes this forum one of the better ones if not the best one.

I’ve learnt a great deal from anglers on here over the years and I hope I’ve helped others a little bit along the way.

Keith

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Even the sharpest anglers will tell us they don't know it all as good as they are, There' always something new to us even if there's nothing new in fishing.
Stuff I never even think of come to me from reading other anglers posts.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A fair amount, in much the same way as I once learned a fair amount from the angling press. However, I've learned an awful lot more from going fishing, a lot, and trying loads of gear in different scenarios on wide ranging venue types.

mikench

Reaction score
I have found what I think I know that works today doesn’t next week. You can’t say that about many activities. I blame the fish and the weather.(n);)

Reaction score
I have found out snippets from anglers who have limited experience,because things can be found out by accident,but sometimes the accident was a reaction to what it noticed at the waterside....and without doubt I have learnt things from people on forums,one of the biggest things is tackle innovation,these days many tackle shops dont hold items for us to see,so when someone hints at an items usefulness or quality its often worth a punt....

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Even after over 50 years of fishing I am still picking up bits of useful info from this forum. I am sure there will always be someone on here that can find an answer to any angling question.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The advice or info I give is based on personal experiences of what has worked for me. I fished mainly commercials ,I am now going to be spending a little more time on the river and a couple of gravel pits, I will think of the gravel pits as a club water I fish up north and use similar tactics. As for the river ,it will be a learning curve again due to not fishing one for years, The canal I will fish as canals up north, and revise methods as and when required.

Aknib

Reaction score
I've tried not to read the previous replies in order to contribute something of true feeling and integrity but I doubt that I've little to add that's not already been aired.

I do find Fishing Magic very thought provoking, not only in relation to what's been posted but also in consideration of what could be posted and hasn't been covered before and the latter is a very tall order but the possibilities are there.

I've gained a lot from the knowledge that has been shared by those kind enough to divulge it, adapt it to your circumstances and go forth.

Knowledge is a legacy, we all acquire it based upon a lifetime of experience but pass it on... It shouldn't die with the beholders.

Many a good book would have never been published if we did. They gain, we gain, everyone's happy.

Reaction score
Steve,I would have liked to clicked 'thanks' for the above post,because you hit on a couple of things that I would have liked to have said myself,but just didn't think of at the time,cheers mate....

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
FM helped my fishing writing no end and I learnt at least one new technique from meeting other members. I sometimes think I've forgotten more than I know as I used to be far better at feeding than I am now. One thing forums teach you is that sometimes people contribute with what seems great authority then you see them fish.....

rich66

Reaction score
I’ve gained a lot of knowledge and tips from the forum. Sometimes it’s just an odd comment that sets a seed of thought. I try stuff I read & it improves my Angling pleasure no end.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
FM helped my fishing writing no end and I learnt at least one new technique from meeting other members. I sometimes think I've forgotten more than I know as I used to be far better at feeding than I am now. One thing forums teach you is that sometimes people contribute with what seems great authority then you see them fish.....
That's why I only post what works for me , and also more often than not fish alone so no one can see me cock up

nottskev

Reaction score
I do find out stuff from FM. I'd never heard of keeping your casters crispy in a pellet pump. I learned a lot about factors affecting fish stocks in rivers from some environmentally clued-up members. And so on. I'm sure there'll be more.

But I wouldn't say "knowledge" is the main reason for coming on here for me. If you've been fishing, talking to anglers and reading the angling press and books on fishing all your life, you don't come across new stuff all that often. But if it's some tackle item you want to know about, this is a mine of information. Conversely, it's quite nice when someone, possibly new/newer to fishing asks a question you can answer and you find some of the stuff you've accumulated over years is actually useful to someone else.

But there are lots of other things you can get. Read the angling weeklies and it looks like everyone is catching big bags and big fish. I like how our fishing reports ground things in the reality - sometimes we catch a lot, sometimes a little, sometimes nothing. Writing up a bit of a report to share on here is a nice way to round off a session and make something out of the day's experience. There have even been times when I'd probably have packed up, but the thought of having to post an embarrassingly small catch inspired me to try a bit harder to get something out of an unpromising day.

Over the three years I've been on here, I've been out fishing with five FM members, all enjoyably and some, when distances are not prohibitive, several times. It's great to widen the pool of people you can share your love of fishing with. I'm hoping to meet up with a couple more people when the river season opens.

Unless we do nothing but match fish, we must be attracted to some extent to spending time on our own, often in lonely places, and happy with our own company. More than information, the value of FM, for me, is it adds some social dimensions, real or virtual, to the sport.