knowledge.

Reaction score
Agree with that Kev,still find things over time that improve your overall knowledge,slight or major thats great,another great plus is how we chat about our venues,rivers,lakes,canals etc and how things vary across the breadth of the country...water conditions,levels,weather etc,takes us out of our own bubble.

rayner

Reaction score
What strikes me is how anglers on this forum will give out information with no proviso, ask a question and someone always answers.
This has to be the most friendly open angling site, well I certainly haven't come across one better on the web Perhaps most on here don't match fish, that can make anglers more secretive ?

bracket

Reaction score
I have spent most of my time match fishing and as a result have reached a level of competence I am comfortable with. I joined FM seven years ago and quickly realised that that, whilst I was confident within the match fishing zone, my horizons were very limited. FM has broadened those horizons and made my appreciate the other branches of angling. So much so that while living 6 miles from the coast for 26 years, I have never sea fished until two years ago. For the first time in many years I now understand what it feels like to be a complete beginner. Forum members have been very helpful to me in my new venture, for which I am grateful. It is a fact that, regardless of how much you think you know, there is always something new to learn or old to relearn. I thank the Forum for that. I find the forum members to be friendly and knowledgeable and I have never experienced any adverse issues. Long may it continue. Pete

ian g

Reaction score
I've learnt plenty on here and hopefully been able to help others . As others have said there are some very knowledgeable anglers on this Forum who seem to enjoy helping other anglers increase their knowledge.

Molehill

Reaction score
There's been plenty to pick up here and on other forums, sometimes I have a direct question "how do you go about, or, what do you look for"?
Other times I'm reading through a thread about some method or branch of angling I do and think "why did I never think of that in 20 years, it's obvious".
All very different from my youth when specific information was harder to come by, waited for weekly papers or mags, or bought a book like How to catch xyz.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I have spent most of my time match fishing and as a result have reached a level of competence I am comfortable with. I joined FM seven years ago and quickly realised that that, whilst I was confident within the match fishing zone, my horizons were very limited. FM has broadened those horizons and made my appreciate the other branches of angling. So much so that while living 6 miles from the coast for 26 years, I have never sea fished until two years ago. For the first time in many years I now understand what it feels like to be a complete beginner. Forum members have been very helpful to me in my new venture, for which I am grateful. It is a fact that, regardless of how much you think you know, there is always something new to learn or old to relearn. I thank the Forum for that. I find the forum members to be friendly and knowledgeable and I have never experienced any adverse issues. Long may it continue. Pete
Have you sampled mullet fishing yet? The UK version of bonefish.

Reaction score
A truly marvellous fish Mark,my missus hates it when I see them,cant leave them alone,Arthur Mullards she calls them...

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
No not yet Mark. Where would you suggest I start? Pete.
Back in the 70s I could catch them consistently at Wareham in the summer and there's still some down there but barring a couple of tiddlers and losing a couple about 3 years ago I haven't had any luck with them down there for many years.

The tidal Stour - Tuckton/Wick, and Christchurch Harbour are fairly consistent, floatfishing bread over groundbait. I've had afew from Poole Quay but since the new raised flood defence it's difficult to fish - had them to 4-10 there though.

bracket

Reaction score
Mark. Thanks for that. Christchurch Harbour sounds like the best starting point for me. Pete

Paste paul

Reaction score
How much has your fishing knowledge grown with the help of forums such as this?
tremendously for me..........
fishing in my mind is more than just catching fish its a social thing and a hobby. I find the forum very sociable and people are all too willing to help or give you there point of view which helps greatly. there also seems to be a very wide variety of angler on the forum which gives a greater wealth of knowledge.
the float makers thread springs to mind what a Wonderfull hobby ours can be when people can turn out such fantastic works of art and then actually use them to catch there dream quarry. Id never see or witness none of this if I just went to a puddle and sat round it every week in pursuit of massive bags of fish, all I would witness is guys bragging about how long their pole is !!!!!!!!

Paste paul

Reaction score
FM helped my fishing writing no end and I learnt at least one new technique from meeting other members. I sometimes think I've forgotten more than I know as I used to be far better at feeding than I am now. One thing forums teach you is that sometimes people contribute with what seems great authority then you see them fish.....
mark ive got two of your books and they are both brilliant mate so well done........ the roach fishing book is next on the hit list !

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mark. Thanks for that. Christchurch Harbour sounds like the best starting point for me. Pete

I believe you go to Chesil beach sometimes Pete. I have not seen this myself and I don't know if it happens there. But it goes that when there is rotting sea weed laying around on the beach flies lay their eggs in it and produce lots of tiny maggots. As the tide comes in and washes over it the mullet come in for a feed. You could cast a float out 30 yds and catch them in a calmish sea. I think it would be difficult to time a trip to coincide unless you have a bit of a grapevine going on, but you never know, one day you might notice this so, thought I would tell you so you could look out for it.
Mullet can appear anywhere and sometimes you will see them in one spot and never see them again but, harbors and jetties, any supports going in the sea or estuary area., they will often hang around them. They fight like stink, worth a go for that but very frustrating fishing as a rule.

Philip

Reaction score
I seem to recall Neil Maidment wrote a very good article on FM about Mullet fishing in Christchurch harbour some years ago. I did a search but could not find it. Its worth digging for. Or perhaps if Neil sees this he may point you to it.

rayner

Reaction score
tremendously for me..........
fishing in my mind is more than just catching fish its a social thing and a hobby. I find the forum very sociable and people are all too willing to help or give you there point of view which helps greatly. there also seems to be a very wide variety of angler on the forum which gives a greater wealth of knowledge.
the float makers thread springs to mind what a Wonderfull hobby ours can be when people can turn out such fantastic works of art and then actually use them to catch there dream quarry. Id never see or witness none of this if I just went to a puddle and sat round it every week in pursuit of massive bags of fish, all I would witness is guys bragging about how long their pole is !!!!!!!!

I liked your post, Paul but for different reasons, there are one or two things that make me screw up my eyes.
For me catching is the only business, social doesn't come into it for me on the bank, I'm aware some anglers need something else but for me, the only option on the bank to me is to catch the next fish.
Don't get the wrong idea, I'll chat to anyone until I find out how they roll, I prefer not to on the bank.
Unfortunately since 99 all my so called friends have sort of shrunk into the long grass, some have died that's a problem with getting on, others have health issues another age-related thing.
The so called puddles aren't all stuffed with just carp, silver fishing can be absolutely brilliant, on the whole just fed and not fished for.
Not every angler is obsessed with carp.
The float remark is the one I liked.;) along with the help from anglers who give their point of view.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I liked your post, Paul but for different reasons, there are one or two things that make me screw up my eyes.
For me catching is the only business, social doesn't come into it for me on the bank, I'm aware some anglers need something else but for me, the only option on the bank to me is to catch the next fish.
Don't get the wrong idea, I'll chat to anyone until I find out how they roll, I prefer not to on the bank.
Unfortunately since 99 all my so called friends have sort of shrunk into the long grass, some have died that's a problem with getting on, others have health issues another age-related thing.
The so called puddles aren't all stuffed with just carp, silver fishing can be absolutely brilliant, on the whole just fed and not fished for.
Not every angler is obsessed with carp.
The float remark is the one I liked.;) along with the help from anglers who give their point of view.
There’s nothing wrong with wanting to catch fish pal that’s why we go fishing so I’m with you on that.
Also I believe there is a place for commercial fisheries without them I think the sport would suffer ........ I am interested in targeting other species rather than carp and maybe this is how I need to think ! And maybe I’ve seen some very negative aspects to commercial waters.
I am very old school and my missis would tell you I don’t like change but I will accept it.
one thing I really miss is being able to go fishing with my dad and sometimes my brother I used to love going with them for a few hours after work.
As for the float thread I simply love it and it brings back memories of when I used to make floats for me and my brother.....
To me this is exactly what a forum is about to exchange ideas thoughts and attitudes, some we will agree with or learn from some we won’t but it’s good to talk ??

Reaction score
I personally wouldnt advise anyone on anything other than personal experiences,still doesn't mean there isn't something far better,but until I find it,or someone suggests to try something,i'm stuck with it...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
There is a fishery in the north west that I was having a match on for the first time, I asked around for best way to fish it etc. One of the replies I got was to use the "magnet " , Never having heard of this I asked what it was, It involved sticking a small magnet to stonfo or dacron connector on your pole and fishing tight against the tins, the object being that the magnet sticks to the tins, rig held perfectly still and tight to far side. I thought it was a wind up until I went to look around the place and saw it in action, it worked.