Lack of improvisation

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Come on chaps don't spoil it by getting all serious! It's been great fun: I put in a bit of feed, some of you nibbled, put in a bit more feed, some of you bit, some of you were hooked, played, reeled in and landed - even easier to catch than a puddle pig. No more posts from me on this thread, I'll get back to my roach fishing, it's not so much fun but it is more of a challenge .....
Was it hemp!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
mm

Now your going to blame me when you haul in your first 500lb of pigs. never mind. :)

Sounds great, my catches have been pretty naff so far this year :).

Aknib

Reaction score
New topic? Why not just go back to the subject of Steve’s opening post which lasted until the end of the first page?

Thanks Simon.

Whilst I sympathise with some or many (?) people's interpretations of the pure fishing experience I never intended this thread to become a commie bashing free for all, i'll freely bash commies either rightly or wrongly until the cows come home but I won't bash people's rights to fish and enjoy them if that's their thing.

There's been some stuff which I've had to scratch my fingers when reading and trying to resist replying, not least how well manicured some commies might be and how like an estate lake or garden pond they may be but **** that, give me nettles and Himalayan balsam up to my neck on a riverbank any day.

Horses for courses on venues, I just wondered what modern day convenience in terms of 'readily available previous thinking' translated to in relation to readily available tackle with regards to present day habits and thinking along with our own influence on angling, both in terms of accepting what is put before us and what developments we, as a current generation of Anglers, will stamp our mark on for future generations.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks Simon.

Whilst I sympathise with some or many (?) people's interpretations of the pure fishing experience I never intended this thread to become a commie bashing free for all, i'll freely bash commies either rightly or wrongly until the cows come home but I won't bash people's rights to fish and enjoy them if that's their thing.

There's been some stuff which I've had to scratch my fingers when reading and trying to resist replying, not least how well manicured some commies might be and how like an estate lake or garden pond they may be but **** that, give me nettles and Himalayan balsam up to my neck on a riverbank any day.
[/QUOTE]
OK, guilty of off topic but here we go again, same old accusations, don't go and fish a commie because they are all well manicured gardens with not a wild plant in sight, have you any idea how far off the mark that is; the same as they are all mud holes, easy peasy fishing and only for idiots who have no idea how to fish not like proper anglers etc etc. It's all utter bollocks; how did such a bit of fake news get so rooted in the psyche is beyond me when there is so much evidence all around to the contrary; Wikipedia is more reliable for the truth.
Enjoy your nettles and balsam; sounds like a lot of fun.
Just a note, if any forum insisted any topic stayed strictly on topic, it would be a very dull forum, you might get what you wish for! but I got the message loud and clear, no more from me.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I mentioned Giles Cochrain in a post on this thread, about the hook in a loop method,
There is an article on him in this months Match Fishing.
He was coming up with theories such as barometric pressures affecting the way fish feed and act, and practices such as hair rigging in matches in the early1990,s
Practices that are common place today.
He was winning lots of matches using his ideas. Both on stillwaters and rivers.
A modern day innovator.

Aknib

Reaction score
OK, guilty of off topic but here we go again, same old accusations, don't go and fish a commie because they are all well manicured gardens with not a wild plant in sight, have you any idea how far off the mark that is; the same as they are all mud holes, easy peasy fishing and only for idiots who have no idea how to fish not like proper anglers etc etc. It's all utter bollocks; how did such a bit of fake news get so rooted in the psyche is beyond me when there is so much evidence all around to the contrary; Wikipedia is more reliable for the truth.
Enjoy your nettles and balsam; sounds like a lot of fun.
Just a note, if any forum insisted any topic stayed strictly on topic, it would be a very dull forum, you might get what you wish for! but I got the message loud and clear, no more from me.

I enjoy off topic Mark, it leads to some interesting conversations.

I'm not portraying commies as anything in particular, just reacting to some of the comments so far and they don't necessarily conform to my own perceptions whether I'm right or wrong with those, neither am I telling anyone where or how to fish.

Opinions are opinions and like buses there'll be another along in a minute, some we choose to climb aboard and others are destined for places we don't want to go :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have improvised more in sea fishing than coarse, I invented a sort of long line that could be used off the beach once, it involved two windup drums and a lot of line however, it had its limitations and it did not work out too well. I devised a rod rest that bolted onto pier/jetty railings so it would hold out from the pier and allow a bait/lure to wobble in the current without getting tangled on the pilling. I used a scaffold joint and it worked out better but it was a bit scary when a big fish hit which it did a couple of times plus lots of derision and funny looks from my understanding fellow anglers, but that stopped when the rod and rest got wrapped round the pier when a big bass hit hit.. As to coarse, pretty much I have just used whats been invented already. I made some floats out of reed stems once, they actually were not bad for some situations, heavy but sensitive requiring a small shot to cock them. They were good for the small stream I made them from as it happens, lots of high bankside vegetation were a light float just got blown about by the wind into it when casting but sensitive for a small shallow clear stream, I kept them natural looking with just some varnish as well so they did not look obvious to any fish underneath. I love natural fishing.... oh dear...