Lack of improvisation

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A good bait on commercials that was kept under the radar, was macaroni cheese straight from the tin,
I have mentioned pearl barley before,
Red kidney beans,
Chick peas soaked in a glug.
These are some of the supermarket baits I have tried, plus the usual seafood ones ,prawns,cockles and mussels.
None of them Mark:)
Have you ever found a muddy pigshit hole, me neither, must be in the imagination. Actually that's not true, I did find one, it was a hole dug in the ground that was an allotment once and filled with carp apparently. It was near Eastbourne somewhere, my mate and I stuck it for an hour and then moved on. It did not last long and was closed not long after. Apparently all commercials are like that, I will digress for now but fake news is alive and well.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
None of them Mark:)
Funny enough the baits I have had success with on one water has not produced on another,
I used to feed beef broth straight from the tin against the rushes when fishing luncheon meat on a commercial. Had loads of tench.
Tried it on another, not a sniff, had to start a new swim.
Yum yums are another bait along with malt loaf.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Funny enough the baits I have had success with on one water has not produced on another,
I used to feed beef broth straight from the tin against the rushes when fishing luncheon meat on a commercial. Had loads of tench.
Tried it on another, not a sniff, had to start a new swim.
Yum yums are another bait along with malt loaf.
Yep, I found different waters had their own character shall we say and that often reflected in the baits. Even on one commercial with multi lakes sometimes. fruit loaf, various sandwich pastes, all worked well on one water or another for me. Fishing is weird but never easy in my opinion. My superbait turned out to be an attraction for eels once I got back to river fishing again and the supermarket stopped supplying it anyway, However, I noticed a couple of years ago it was back on the shelves and if I ever go back to commercial and specifically carp I will give it a go again. It always worked out the best bait even if better on some waters than others. I am sorry I cannot tell you what it is but if I did everyone will want to try it. And they wouldn't want to say I was right even if they found it as good as I found it. They would be dying to find it rubbish and would go out of their way even more than usual to denigrate it. And i cant be bothered with all that nonsense. I don't even no why I am trying to alter beliefs about commercials, it is not as anyone is listening except you,.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am doing a list of day ticket waters I have fished and when done I will post on here and try and get thread going. There are others who fish day ticket venues as well.
Yes, take no notice of me Mark, just having a bad day, must be the heat. Give it a go, I was going to start it, it might take off, do but can try. It it doesn't nothing lost. I just thought no one seems bothered but they might if it got going.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know of commercials which arn't messy, infact they're nice and neet!
Most of the ones I know haven't got many trees etc round them and are just huge garden pond shapes. They all have quite level bottoms and are usually no more than 3 to 4ft deep.
I don't think people call them muddy puddles because the banks are messy, I think it's the fact that most of them are so full of fish that the water is the colour of mud due to the fish grubbing about on the bottom.
I also know some lovely wild waters with some crackin tench, crucians, perch, roach and rudd which were bought, or rented and then filled with carp. Those waters were lined with trees and lillies in the margins and their water was gin clear. After they were filled with fish, the water went coloured, most of the trees were chopped down, most of the lillies etc were removed, the bankings were bulldozered and all the pegs were nice neet platforms or flagged areas......absolutley disgusting!

I've nothing against someone digging a purpose built hole in the ground and filling it in with whatever species of fish they wish to, but to make life easier for themselves and destroy lovely wild waters is a disgrace and imo shouldn't be allowed.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
It would appear that I have rattled one or two chains? I will repeat the gist of what I have posted previously: if people like fishing commercials then why not, it's their choice! The more people on commercials then the more chance of other places being quiet?

Tigger's previous post - spot on.

I've enjoyed this thread so how about some more contentious topics? For instance we could discuss the Close Season or debate barbed v barbless hooks or centre pin reels v fixed spools? What about the case for only being able to use centrepins with barbed hooks in rivers during the traditional season? That's sounds a goodun!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
It would appear that I have rattled one or two chains? I will repeat the gist of what I have posted previously: if people like fishing commercials then why not, it's their choice! The more people on commercials then the more chance of other places being quiet?

Tigger's previous post - spot on.

I've enjoyed this thread so how about some more contentious topics? For instance we could discuss the Close Season or debate barbed v barbless hooks or centre pin reels v fixed spools? What about the case for only being able to use centrepins with barbed hooks in rivers during the traditional season? That's sounds a goodun!
What's a centrepin?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Tigger, take a trip to Fir Tree fishery at Apley Bridge, some of the swims on there are like a parrots cage, another one is widdows flash at Hindley.
I have never fished one at 3' - 4' deep, in fact some have margins that deep.
Name the ones you say that are like you posted.
The Catteries at Wrightington has a few trees but are mainly landscaped pools, but not level depths.
I can name a few that seem featureless but are works in progress,
Remember most stately home lakes started as holes in the ground, and some of those dont have trees round them.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Most of the ones I know haven't got many trees etc round them and are just huge garden pond shapes. They all have quite level bottoms and are usually no more than 3 to 4ft deep.
I don't think people call them muddy puddles because the banks are messy, I think it's the fact that most of them are so full of fish that the water is the colour of mud due to the fish grubbing about on the bottom.
I also know some lovely wild waters with some crackin tench, crucians, perch, roach and rudd which were bought, or rented and then filled with carp. Those waters were lined with trees and lillies in the margins and their water was gin clear. After they were filled with fish, the water went coloured, most of the trees were chopped down, most of the lillies etc were removed, the bankings were bulldozered and all the pegs were nice neet platforms or flagged areas......absolutley disgusting!

I've nothing against someone digging a purpose built hole in the ground and filling it in with whatever species of fish they wish to, but to make life easier for themselves and destroy lovely wild waters is a disgrace and imo shouldn't be allowed.
You didn't rattle my chain Peter except I just think it is unfair to give the impression that commercials are just easy fishing for people who want to just catch fish, catching not fishing is how you described it. That's all I am trying to put across that in my experience this is more often than not -not the case. I always fail to recognize this description that is commonly held. I always feel obliged having fished quite a few trying to dispel this notion. These are very individual waters, some bad, many good and some great in my opinion and not worth missing out on based on some vague generalizations that in fact are not general.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger, take a trip to Fir Tree fishery at Apley Bridge, some of the swims on there are like a parrots cage, another one is widdows flash at Hindley.
I have never fished one at 3' - 4' deep, in fact some have margins that deep.
Name the ones you say that are like you posted.
The Catteries at Wrightington has a few trees but are mainly landscaped pools, but not level depths.
I can name a few that seem featureless but are works in progress,
Remember most stately home lakes started as holes in the ground, and some of those dont have trees round them.

Mark, Fir tree is only local but I have never visited it because the place really is a serious commie. It has wooden house/sheds etc!

Firtree fishery took over a local tackle shop and I talk to people who work on the fishery and they tell me about the place. I'm not slagging the place off at all, but I know it just isn't for me. Never say never though as one day I might have a day there.

I can totally understand why a lot of people fish commies, obvious reasons are disabilities etc and of course some people will just like them.

I'll give you one example though as I believe it's a syndicate now. Do you know of island dam? It was a fantastic water, I used to fish it with me dad and our kid. Infact I caught a perch there when I was 5yrs old. Anyhow, that place has been messed with by so caled anglers and they filled it in with carp/pasties.
It was a crackin tench and pike water previous to that, not any longer!

no-one in particular

Reaction score

Yes but again it is not always all the story, the one I fished was a spring fed lake which had not much in it that was taken over and turned into 8 lakes, all individual in their own way. They are always colored like mud, this is due to the spring that feeds them running through a clay substrata. Like I say they should be looked at individually, not all clumped under one banner. I have fished some that are clear water, shallow or deep, islands or not, tree lined or plain, mixed fishing, carp free or just carp. There something out there for all tastes.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes but again it is not always all the story, the one I fished was a spring fed lake which had not much in it that was taken over and turned into 8 lakes, all individual in their own way. They are always colored like mud, this is due to the spring that feeds them running through a clay substrata. Like I say they should be looked at individually, not all clumped under one banner.

I know a small spring fed pool which was crystal clear, you can't see more than several inches into the water now.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I know a small spring fed pool which was crystal clear, you can't see more than several inches into the water now.
That's going to depend on the substrata, chalk streams are always clear because of the chalk but clay will cause muddy water, it didn't seem to bother the fish which appeared to thrive well enough. I agree with you, turning something good into something worse is not nice and overstocked waters are not a great thing but it can work the other way, turning something useless and out of bounds into something a lot better and some commercials have done this. It has to be looked at per water and not as if it is all the same.

bullet

Reaction score
Narrh, wouldn't touch fools gold while I can get hold of sensor :).

I really dislike canals, been along a section of canal on the mtb this avvey and fishing it would be like torture for me. There's way to many people, people with dogs and kids, idiots running, mtb's rattling past....i'd finish up inflicting GBH within half an hour and have to get off before the law rocked up!

Last time I fished the Wye I felt exactly like that, in fact I got so peed off with it I left early, and I was catching.

peterjg

Reaction score
Come on chaps don't spoil it by getting all serious! It's been great fun: I put in a bit of feed, some of you nibbled, put in a bit more feed, some of you bit, some of you were hooked, played, reeled in and landed - even easier to catch than a puddle pig. No more posts from me on this thread, I'll get back to my roach fishing, it's not so much fun but it is more of a challenge .....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's going to depend on the substrata, chalk streams are always clear because of the chalk but clay will cause muddy water, it didn't seem to bother the fish which appeared to thrive well enough. I agree with you, turning something good into something worse is not nice and overstocked waters are not a great thing but it can work the other way, turning something useless and out of bounds into something a lot better and some commercials have done this. It has to be looked at per water and not as if it is all the same.

Can't argue with any of that Mark, other than the spring fed pool I spoke of has clay bankings so i'd imagine there's clay on the deck.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Can't argue with any of that Mark, other than the spring fed pool I spoke of has clay bankings so i'd imagine there's clay on the deck.
Well, don't know what to say, stick to your fishing what you know and like, which you were going to do anyway, I cant change the world; leave that to the politicians or maybe not:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, don't know what to say, stick to your fishing what you know and like, which you were going to do anyway, I cant change the world; leave that to the politicians or maybe not:)

To late now, you've talked me into commies lol.