Lack of improvisation

Aknib

Reaction score
Has the luxury of being able to buy practically every variant of every niche bit of tackle led to a lack of improvisation and imagination in today's Angler?

Almost a lazy availability of gear which has in turn affected our actual approach on the bank and led to a similarly lazy way of thinking?

The number of rig bits that are now available are infinite, as are 'comfort' items such as some of the gear designed for the long stay Angler.

But...

In an age where we can glean all the information we require at the stroke of a keyboard are we losing something along the way, has this 'out of the packet' convenience led to a similar mind set in our approach to Angling, going with what we're told from various forms of easily accessible media as opposed to making our own judgements along the way and having the confidence to follow our own instincts and make it up as we go along even when it goes against the grain?

Other things are of course a factor such as the fella that can only get out once in a while is probably less likely to take a punt on an untested theory when he might play it safe and instead get a few bites.

What do you reckon, are there as many 'ground breakers' in today's Angling or have we evolved to a point where ground breakers are now a rarity and are we just seeing the same old executing what's already out there to very good effect?

Whilst we're on the subject of ground breakers and excepting tackle developments which will always naturally improve what if anything would you class as a recent ground breaking approach or technique?

mikench

Reaction score
It's called progress Steve. The Luddites fought against improvements and efficiency and this generation will regale against AI. Computers, videos, eBay and Amazon enable small scale suppliers of Ronnie Rigs etc etc. Home made floats ( not a patch on yours though) can be sold without a large marketing budget. I can sit by the bank and flounder with a set up break a rod tip and lose a feeder. Instead of being depressed I can use my phone to order replacements, watch a vid, speak to Kev and all is well with the world. Believe me I have done precisely that and the replacements arrived the next day.

You will recall Golfball typewriters and maybe Olivetti 351's with a paragraph of text visible on a screen for checking before pressing print. How things have changed. Whatever the hobby items will improve and progress. However you can still make a fire by rubbing sticks together if you wish.

xenon

Reaction score
Remember reading an article in the angling times a long while ago which showed convincingly that the "method" feeder was invented by Crabtree(!?). I guess most things conceivable have been thought of by now.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Carbon fibre technology has revolutionized pole fishing, and also waggler and feeder fishing, due to advances in lightness and strength. I have a 17' rod that is lighter at full length than 13' rods of say from the early 90's
Hooks are another item that have come on in technology, some brands should give a packet of plasters away with them.
As for grounbreakers, a lot of anglers will see something new and put their own slant on it.
Giles Cochran did a hook in loop method of catching, at first people thought it was a daft idea,until he was winning matches using the method.
Preston Innovations ICS system is a brilliant idea, change from feeder ,either,method,pellet,cage or maggot to straight lead, without breaking tackle down to do it.

mikench

Reaction score
Just to follow on with the contrary view, one can still write a letter by hand, cook a meal from scratch, play golf with a niblet or fish with a cane rod. What we have today are choices.

peterjg

Reaction score
I might be wrong but I don't think so. It would appear that a lot of anglers are content just to follow the latest trend: be it method, tackle, bait, etc. For instance; just look at big carp anglers or commercial anglers everyone is using virtually identical tackle and baits.

How many use methods or baits that they invented themselves, not many. No problem, most anglers are clones they just Google the latest article and mindlessly copy.

Reemul

Reaction score
I might be wrong but I don't think so. It would appear that a lot of anglers are content just to follow the latest trend: be it method, tackle, bait, etc. For instance; just look at big carp anglers or commercial anglers everyone is using virtually identical tackle and baits.

How many use methods or baits that they invented themselves, not many. No problem, most anglers are clones they just Google the latest article and mindlessly copy.

I am unsure how many different ways there is to tie on a hook or put a lead on my line, do we need a few hundred thousand so we all have our own way. I love these all encompassing comments, i reckon if you went to a lake and approached a 50 anglers they would be plenty of different set ups being used i know as I tour the banks asking there is plenty of different recommendations and suggestions.

As someone who had not fished much for 15 years I looked at some rigs, looked at some set ups, bought some gear and tried different things but none I actually invented, shock horror.....

I think now days the need is to try different options, tomorrow the kids and I are going fishing for smaller carp up to 6lb and other smaller fish, no rigs, just floats and hooks and with bait on them, it's not new just trying to different things to enjoy the day.

peterjg

Reaction score
"Anglers" can now go into a tackle shop and buy ready tied hair rigs, ready made boilies, ready cooked hemp, ready flavoured tins of sweetcorn. They then go to their favourite commercial which is stuffed full of poor unfortunate carp which are waiting and desparate to be fed. The swims are all of regulation size, level platforms (their tackle must not get muddy), a bit later their breakfast (from the on-site cafe) will be delivered and served. The "anglers" will of course need four keepnets to hold their catch. At the end of their day the "wonder carp expert anglers" will congratulate themselves on the superb catch that only happened through their own skill and effort .....

Reemul

Reaction score
"Anglers" can now go into a tackle shop and buy ready tied hair rigs, ready made boilies, ready cooked hemp, ready flavoured tins of sweetcorn. They then go to their favourite commercial which is stuffed full of poor unfortunate carp which are waiting and desparate to be fed. The swims are all of regulation size, level platforms (their tackle must not get muddy), a bit later their breakfast (from the on-site cafe) will be delivered and served. The "anglers" will of course need four keepnets to hold their catch. At the end of their day the "wonder carp expert anglers" will congratulate themselves on the superb catch that only happened through their own skill and effort .....

Or like a a large amount of other fisherman they just go and fish and enjoy it, I am unsure what your problem is with any other fisherman fishing, enjoy your fishing and let others enjoy theirs you seem a touch curmudgeony and miserable about other people enjoying themselves, bit sad really imo.

Maybe the issue is not their fishing but you aren't enjoying yours and seeing people enjoy it themselves is having a negative affect on you, try being happy for people enjoying themselves you never know you might enjoy your own fishing more.

Phil Adams

Reaction score
I think if anything, much of the latest innovation serves to complicate what is actually quite simple. Carp fishing has become it's own entity because it has been marketed that way. The options for end tackle, rigs, baits etc is massive, but doesn't need to be. Much of this is due to marketing and the worry of 'what if?'. For as long as people spend their money, these innovations will continue to be thought up. Create the problem, sell the solution.
It's not only carp fishing that suffers from this. Far from it.

Having said that. How many of us have met a roach or chub angler, who knows his quarry and fishes the way they want to fish and won't be told otherwise? That person who shuns innovation and sticks to what they know?

Fishing is what you make it init.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't fish any waters with all the luxuries of a holiday complex....not my scene.
Ok, I like my nice new lightweight rods and new centrepin reels, but I still use as near to basice tackle and set ups as is possible. I avoid rig tube, leadcore, beads for this and that, various clips etc etc and fish as simple as possible....didn't do me much good today mind LOL.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Reading this , I think it must be on Fantasy Island,
I can take you to numerous commercials where the pegs are not level ,swims are different sizes, and not over stocked.As for wonder anglers ,There is a full time angler and tackle consultant who earned around £160000 in match winnings last year.

terry m

Reaction score

Not sure where this happens but I have yet to witness anything close to it in 40+ years of angling.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The closest to genuine angling innovation most anglers will get is taking items of existing tackle and using them in a way they weren't originally intended, or in scenarios that go against conventional wisdom. I certainly like doing this kind of thing with my "inappropriate" use of certain types of floats, olivettes and very short hooklinks. Nothing genuinely innovative, but certainly not by the book. I rather enjoy proving the "you don't want to do it like that" types wrong. I don't have much time for angling dogma. That's not to say that every daft repurposing idea I've tried has worked, but it's satisfying when it does.

Not doing things by the book is quite enough for me. The prospect of fannying about in a workshop to make a bit of terminal tackle that ends up being inferior to the stuff I could buy in a shop leaves me cold. The ultimate reality is that people are people. There's always been a significant element of herd mentality in angling. The idea that ye olde anglers were all innovative cottage tackle manufacturers is simply not realistic. They were just fishing in much more simplistic ways with minimal gear. There may be something to be said for that, but it doesn't equate to being innovative.

john step

Reaction score
There may be a bit more make mend and do and innovation coming if tackle continues to be in short supply?

I think there is still a lot of experimenting going on with tackle ie your float making. Others make lures and tie flies for instance. One chap I know has welded his own trolly together due to a specific disability need.

I see quite of innovation locally with mending of chairs, making weed rakes, even a outside fire pit for particle preparation and more. I guess there may be a difference in spending to take the easy route between an affluent area and one where wages are lower?
Just guessing.

I do agree though that there is more available nowadays. Consumerism and advertising pressures?

The Sogster

Reaction score
Many years ago (1980's) after discussions with a friend we came up with the idea of a counterbalanced floating bait which we used with great success when carp fishing. The idea was to keep the hook out of the water and hidden by the bait when viewed from underwater.

No idea if it was a genuine innovation or not, but a certain tackle company have a similar item in their fake bait range now.

peterjg

Reaction score
Some of you may have missed the point? If you go fishing knowing that you are going to catch and knowing what you are going to catch then that is not fishing! If that's what you want then why not - there is obviously a market for it! If you enjoy sitting around a carp puddle facing each other then why not!? Or maybe it's a case of all the gear but no idea?

Off subject but it was previously mentioned that someone earned £160000 last year. Nothing new in people making money from fishing but is that what fishing is really about?

Enjoy your fishing, do you own thing, don't be fooled into thinking that you need the latest everything. Find the quiet places - they really still exist. It's now 4.21am and I am going fishing somewhere quiet!

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Shock horror......
Housewife goes into supermarket and finds, ready prepared meals, ready prepared and peeled veg, fruit peeled and diced, cake in boxes and packets.Tinned veg,Cook in the bag chicken and meat.
Then goes home puts said items away knowing she does not have to do any preparation, or cooking of ready prepared meals, either put in oven or microwave,
She can then sit back and relax with a cup off instant coffee ,knowing she has not got to grind the coffee beans.
At the end of the evening the "wonder expert housewife" will congratulate herself on a superb meal and sweet dish that only happened through her own skill and effort.

The ready made rigs, baits etc are the anglers version of making things easier for themselves.
As for the angler who won £160000, he had to make the best of wherever he drew in the matches, that is down to skill. If I recall that was just in 3 finals of matches where you had to win a qualifier to get to each final. I did not take his other match winnings into account.
As anyone on here who fishes matches , the payouts are not exceptional.

Phil Adams

Reaction score
Some of you may have missed the point? If you go fishing knowing that you are going to catch and knowing what you are going to catch then that is not fishing! If that's what you want then why not - there is obviously a market for it! If you enjoy sitting around a carp puddle facing each other then why not!? Or maybe it's a case of all the gear but no idea?

Off subject but it was previously mentioned that someone earned £160000 last year. Nothing new in people making money from fishing but is that what fishing is really about?

Enjoy your fishing, do you own thing, don't be fooled into thinking that you need the latest everything. Find the quiet places - they really still exist. It's now 4.21am and I am going fishing somewhere quiet!

But it is fishing. It's just not a type of fishing that you personally like or understand the enjoyment of.