Lamprey section

C

Chris Bishop

At risk of sounding a hypocrite why not buy eel sections..?

Most of these are discarded from the trade so would be binned if we didn't use them.

D

David OLoughlin

Live in West London (Ealing) & would also would also be handy if I could have a contact in the Windermere area.
I supose I could go down the East End:)
Q:- Do you think that liquer (that gets put on eels, pie & mash) would make a good bait dip???? I hear that it's full of eel juice? :)
Thanks Chris

C

Chris Bishop

You should be able to get frozen deads from some of the shops down there - Lucebaits and Starmer both do eels, lamps etc.

D

David OLoughlin

Thanks Chris, I'll mainly need them in Windermere. I'll have to work out how to keep them frozen for 5 hours at least as I really need to be organised before I go (not good form to spend family holiday in tackle shops??? :)). I'll make contact with the shop in Ulverston & see.

D

David OLoughlin

I forgot to add, I thought you were talking about fresh Chris, as I could transport those & freeze down on arrival. Cheers.

C

Chris Bishop

Easy. Get a coolbox and pack the baits with some of those ice packs. If the lid's air-tight and you don't keep opening it you should find baits will stay frozen for hours.

You can use it to cart baits about when you're fishing, so any un-used stuff goes back in the freezer.

There are a few places round here you can get fresh eels, don't know about Cumbria - suspect you'd have to go over to Lancaster and find the local fish wholesaler, there's probably people netting them on the Lune.

If you're fishing the lakes there's a website with maps/depth contours of them all on it - might save you a bit of time.

N

Nicky Garbutt

their a tackle shop on windermere il have to dig out that old map i got and tell you were it is.

D

David OLoughlin

Wow, what's the site Chris? I never thought a cool box could keep frozen for that long - sounds like I need to experiment.
Nicky, there is a shop in Bowness - he moved 2 years ago & I need to track him down. I don't remember him having such baits but it may be different now?

N

Nicky Garbutt

i think they have moved to a diffenet place in bowness cause last time i went they was a note on the door saying they have moved shops.

C

Chris Bishop

They were on

http://www.scottthomson.btinternet.co.uk/

But I just tried it and it didn't work. I looked up the waters bit the other week and it was ok.

I think there was a note on there saying it would be fixed in a bit.

I think you can get an Admiralty chart for Winders, maybe the Lakes National Park people can advise.

Coolboxes keep stuff cool for ages. Don't get the Coleman ones with the fiddly lids, go for Camping Gaz if you can get 'em. Put a cool pack (or one of those freezer ice cube bags) in the bottom, pack your baits in, put another cool pack on top and off you go.

Make sure the lid's sealed and don't keep opening it to check they're ok.

You can also get freezer boxes for about ?50 that plug into your car lighter socket but the ones I've seen have all been too small to be of any use.

D

David OLoughlin

Chris the site is up & running - thanks for that. My wife just said that may be all very well but it doesn't show you where the fish are??
I've used boxes for years Chris it just is I've never explored their limits & have always ben cautious as it's foodstuffs I've transsported.
Coleman have brought out a larger fridge/box that appears to be the bees nees. It goes to minus & acts as a heater. It's @ ?80 & I think was reviewed in Sea Angler a couple of months ago. John Lewis sell them I was looking at one the other day.

C

Chris Bishop

We looked at 'em last year, they only go 8 degrees under ambient temp and it gets pretty warm in the car.

D

David Tovey

David,
AS a chef I have carted frozen foods around in cool boxes for years prior to serving them up to the paying public.
a. With ice or cool blocks and the lid kept on as much as possible your baits will stay semi-frozen for 12-15 hours.
b. As you`re going to serve the public with it there is no harm done if you refreeze the bait after each trip.
c. In my experience pike will often hit a smelly herring or mackerel in preference to a fresh bait.
In short don`t worry about refreezing or slightly high offerings.

Good hunting

D

David Tovey

Chris,

Ref; para b of my last.

Should have read "As your NOT going to serve the public with it"

D

David OLoughlin

So what have I learnt on this thread; baits, presentation, contours of my favourite lakes, Coleman's fridge box not all that cracked up to be, how to serve dodgy food to the gullible public, the meaning of life? LOL
Anything else chaps?