landing net for canal lure fishing

clutch

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently just getting a bit of gear together to try my hand at lure fishing on the Shropshire Union canal. I have got most of the important bits, however I could use some recommendations for a suitable landing net/handle combo.

I will be ultra light lure fishing, targeting perch, but there are pike in the stretch, so a few of them might come along.

I want something portable, light, handle wont need to be too long. Plus, what size net should i be looking for, with the likelihood that the odd jack pike will be be caught?

Any advice, or recommendations based on what you use, would be great.

Thanks.

Keith M

Reaction score
When I’m roving with lures for Perch and Chub I use the folding Wychwood landing net in the pic below which includes an extendable handle, and is large enough for the occasional smallish Pike and small enough to clip onto the back of my waistcoat.

But beware of losing the locking pin when not in use as it is possible for it to be removed.

I’ve had it a few years now so there may be a later model.

Keith

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
I use Korum opportunist 1.8m telescopic handle, the handle is only 55cm long when not in use which make it easy to transport with a carry strap in its needed

As for a net head again it a Korum 26” folding triangle net which comes with a stink bag thats bigger nought to put the net & handle in together

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I should have added that I don’t have a specific net for when I’m roving a river lure fishing but I do have a specific handle, that being a Daiwa ISO telescopic handle which I can highly recommend. From my limited experience I have realised a deepish net is advisable, jack pike do like to thrash around.

john step

Reaction score
I use one of these nets as above. From memory its the larger size but the smaller one would be ideal for perch and jacks. This photo appeared earlier in HDYGO.

View attachment 7889

steve2

Reaction score
I bought one of these from local decathlon store for £24. Use it for most of my lure fish where possible.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
I have this one that I've been using for about 2 years now. It's quite ok.

"Street n Rock " EPUISETTE STREET & ROCK - MANCHE ISO DAIWA 410 + TETE PAFEX 50 - Des Poissons Si Grands

It's a catch-and-release net from Pafex, on a sliding handle. The handle can be purchased separately. Very, very lightweight.

The model I have is the longest handle, and I can tell you it saved me when fishing from high banks. Now, you don't have to extend it when the fish is close to you.

Daiwa ISO handle:

manche-epuisette-daiwa-iso-telescopique-2018.jpg

manche-d-epuisette-daiwa-iso-4-10m-102322-a.jpg

This one is a very similar product:

ultimate-fishing-epuisette-telescopique.jpg

steve2

Reaction score
I have this one that I've been using for about 2 years now. It's quite ok.

"Street n Rock " EPUISETTE STREET & ROCK - MANCHE ISO DAIWA 410 + TETE PAFEX 50 - Des Poissons Si Grands

It's a catch-and-release net from Pafex, on a sliding handle. The handle can be purchased separately. Very, very lightweight.

The model I have is the longest handle, and I can tell you it saved me when fishing from high banks. Now, you don't have to extend it when the fish is close to you.

Daiwa ISO handle:

I did look at these but they cost was more than I was prepared to pay. How strong are the at full length?

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Yep that wasn't the cheapest net we find in gooutdoors, but I have found it to be a good investment. I remember it was a special price.

To be clear it's designed to be carried folded, when you've got your fish you take the handle in one hand, and deploy using your nicest Harry Potter wand gesture. You don't have to deploy it entirely.

When entirely unfolded (6 feet with mine) that would mean you're above the water from a high bank, in that case using the net like a fry pan to lift a good fish is too difficult... so I use the long handle to get the fish and then I can hoist the package to the bank ;)

And I think mine is too long to resist a good fish if used at full length

A net is the impossibe combination of requirements but this one has been way better than a "rudipontaine" (automatic net, which broke on my second chub) or a retractable pafex which was heavy and broke on a pike