Landing net

eel28

Reaction score
Hello all, new member here, have posted in new member section, so technically not my first post here :)

Anyhow, I have an old Efgeeco landing net, which is in perfect working order, well apart from the actual net, its looks old, the holes in it are far too big, in my opinion, and it's too deep, also my opinion.

So the question is, is it possible to replace JUST the net? As in take the net off the frame and put a newer one on?

Would like to keep as much of it as original as possible as it will be used alongside my other efgeeco products.

Sorry for longish post, and thanks in advance for any help

Sorry have just noticed a better area to have posted this, im so sorry, admins feel free to delete the post, as I can't see a way to do it again I'm sorry

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The laws regarding hole sizes in nets has changed over the years, I would check up on that,
As for replacing I know at one time it was possible. If you can't get a net on its an option would be to buy a cheap landing net as close to the size you want, take a hacksaw to the frame ,remove the net and put it on Efgeeco frame.
Another option is to find a tackle shop that has someone who makes custom build nets for them.

mikench

Reaction score
Just buy a new net. The choice is vast and they will be superior to that you have from the fish perspective.i would add that you need more than one imo. I don't possess a 42" net but I have several between 14" for silvers and 36" for carp. Small fish smaller net and vice versa. A 14oz roach or Rudd doesn't need or warrant a huge net.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I agree with the above, a new landing net is only a few quid and saves all the messing.
There are hundreds to chose from.

Keith M

Reaction score
Plus being an old efgeeco landing net it probably has a knotted mesh which is illegal today.

Efgeeco used to make landing nets which not only had horrible knotted meshes but were often far too small anyway.

Buy yourself a modern ‘knitted mesh’ landing net, it will be bigger, lighter and legal and a lot kinder to the fish you catch :)

Keith

eel28

Reaction score
You don't get it, all I want and need is a new net, no reason to bin the rest of it just cos its easier! Too much in landfill as it is without needlessly adding to it.

Surely someone somewhere must sell replacement nets???

Keith M

Reaction score
What size (in CM or inches) is the frame that you want to fit it on? (Widest part) and is it triangular or round?

NB: The efgeeco net that I once owned as a kid back in the 1960s was far too small for anything but gudgeon and small roach and the frame was only about 12” wide.

Keith

Last edited:

eel28

Reaction score
What size (in CM or inches) is the frame that you want to fit it on? (Widest part) and is it triangular or round?

NB: The efgeeco net that I once owned as a kid back in the 1960s was far too small for anything but gudgeon and small roach and the frame was only about 12” wide.

Keith
It is triangular, and measures 22 inches from outside edge to outside edge of the two corners furthest from the handle.

It's just going to be used for roach and other small fish.

Keith M

Reaction score
Just type ‘landing net replacement mesh’ in the field at the top of your screen and you will see loads of replacement landing net mesh websites come up.

Don’t forget that knotted mesh is not legal in the UK because it’s not kind to fish and causes scale damage.

Here’s one of the web sites you will see:

Keith

Last edited:

eel28

Reaction score
Just type ‘landing net replacement mesh’ in the field at the top of your screen and you will see loads of replacement landing net mesh come up.

Don’t forget that knotted mesh is not legal in the UK because it’s not kind to fish and causes scale damage.

Keith
Thank you, daft question which field is that? I'm using my phone if that makes a difference?

Legal or not, its the care of fish that's on my mind plus the holes are so big smaller fish could slip through them! Hence wanting a replacement net

Keith M

Reaction score
It’s the field that you type the web address in when you want to go to a certain web page; it is also a search field so you can type what you are looking for on the web in it and it will do a search. You might sometimes see a magnifier icon against this field.

If you are still baffled, here is a link to one of these pages where you can find replacement landing net mesh.

Keith

Last edited:

eel28

Reaction score
Really? Never knew that, usually go to google! Which I did do before signing up to ask here, as all I could find was trout net replacements.

Thanks again anyway

Andydj

Reaction score
You don't get it, all I want and need is a new net, no reason to bin the rest of it just cos its easier! Too much in landfill as it is without needlessly adding to it.

Surely someone somewhere must sell replacement nets???
Used to be a company down in Bridport called Redport Nets. I have bought a few meshes from them over the years.
See if they are still trading, give them the dimensions and I would think they can help you.
Nothing wrong with the old Efgeeco Apex frames that I suspect you have. Yes they are dated but I get where you're coming from and with a new modern mesh it will do the job just fine.

eel28

Reaction score
Used to be a company down in Bridport called Redport Nets. I have bought a few meshes from them over the years.
See if they are still trading, give them the dimensions and I would think they can help you.
Nothing wrong with the old Efgeeco Apex frames that I suspect you have. Yes they are dated but I get where you're coming from and with a new modern mesh it will do the job just fine.
Thank you so much, I'm so glad someone else knows where I'm coming from.

Will check them out, thanks very much

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
This topic touches upon a further subject for me. I had a cheap net with big holes and replaced it with a Guru net, very small holes. Don't know if it's just me, but the nets with smaller holes seem to be better in all ways. Less damage to the fish when they are flapping around and somehow more useable. And the hook does not seem to snag the net nearly as much.