Latest Angling Star

P

pons

John Rolf was best known as a caster and groundbait man,on bodied waggler,from reccolection,and Deanie was the best Float Angler I ever saw,bar none.

He was the one that became a brilliant Trout Fisherman,but I would not have expected any differant.

I never remembered Jan the Man as a pig flinger,more of a waggler man,though he definately won matches on it.

Fred Bailey and Mal Storey cleaned up on the big Pig when they came north.

And Keith Kotchie was the man on the lobworm in the floods.

John Allerton could backwind his heavy wire sticks down the peg brilliantly.

Keith Hobson could get totally bladdered till 4 in the morning on Nationals and still fish really well.

Tommy Pickering was so cool and precise,and terrific to watch.

Pete Warren could catch 20lb of Roach on half a pint of casters,mostly in the last hour of the match.

Dave Thomas was the man to beat on the maggot.

And Notts Fed and Barnsley were the teams to beat.

And people used to catch Roach and Chub on the float !

Pons.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Chris,

I took the trouble to go and watch Notts Fed win the 80, 83 and 87 Nationals on the Trent, a long trip for a Dorset lad, also watched various big events on Holme Pierpoint. In Jan 80 I phoned up an angling bookie for odds on Notts Fed in the September National. He quoted evens on a field of 80. On the day they were 2-1 on then the book closed, the river being normal but they had an average draw. Barnsley had a better draw but Notts were so good two of their section winners could have put their fish back and they'd still have just about won. I watched Frank Barlow, Wayne Swinscoe, Pete Palmer that day. I only got to watch John Dean in the world champs at Luddington. That day (Sept 80, Notts Fed) was the most frightening display of outstanding floatfishing skills demonstrated by one team, ever. Kevin Ashurst and Dave Thomas also did well that day.

Notts dominated the other two Nationals but not to such an extent.

Beecy

Reaction score
Mark, I saw that national on the trent in 87 too.

the one thing that sticks out in my nind was watching one of the Essex county blokes, I cant remember his name now but he was one of their top lads (Banks?).... and he was absolutely useless!!! he was fishing the pole on the ferry field with his float set at about 12 foot in 6 foot of water and was sriking every time it dragged under. The lad I was with pointed out to him that it wasnt that deep so he stuck a plummet on to see "oh yes your right" he said.

Unfortuneately I never had the pleasure of seeing John Dean or Dave Thomas in action.

I did once draw next to Jan porter though on a trent winter league at shelford and I had Smithies Jess King on the other side, I got the biggest battering I have ever had that day.. they took the top 2 section places with about 8 or 9 pound of waggler roach and I had a humbling last in section with less than a pound! this day was the beggining of the end of my match fishing days....totaly demoralising as I just could not figure out what I had done wrong.

Jason Murray

Reaction score
Colin Walton didn't do too bad either.
Chris, Keith Kotchie now there's a name I've not heard for few years.There was more to Keith than just flood fishing.I've spent hours listening to Keith and my old man discuss tactics for the weekends Trent matches on a Friday night.I used to travel down with them now and again.Just sitting behind some of the anglers mentioned on this thread, were some of the best angling moments I've had.

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Pons,

Morning me'duck.

I've known John Rolfe for donkies as he used to work at Walkers now Savilles and is a cracking game angler. Then again, his old bosses David Barndens and the late John Walker fish/ed all over the world for various big and not so big game fish. I actually wasn't aware that Dean went on to be a game angler. You live and learn.

I've been in the Blue Bell on numerous occasions watching the late Frank Barlow win the beer drinking matches hands down after the mid week opens at Attenborough. Not that I was connected to the match fishing scene just knew a few of the characters. Incidentally the best match angler I ever saw practising his art was Ivan Marks.

Regards,

Lee.

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Keith,

"Cheers Lee, and by the way I'm sure your alliance with Steve and Pete can only be beneficial, so good luck with it."

You are most welcome Keith.

However, you'll have to run the, "and by the way I'm sure your alliance with Steve and Pete can only be beneficial, so good luck with it" by me again please?

Regards,

Lee.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Beecy,

That would have been Gordon Blanks of Essex. I drew next to him on a Daiwa Masters on the Witham, week before the '90 National; got battered.

Drew next to Jan Porter on the Brisol Avon when Melksham did a two day Gala, and he and Frank Barlow were invitees for the Sunday final (us plebs had to qualify on the Saturday). My travelling partner won the Saturday and drew next to Frank on the Sunday. My mate beat Frank, and I sent Jan back to Notts with a battering to remember, 9lb to 10oz on roach.

I only saw Dave Thomas at Luddington when he won both days, and had the pleasure of meeting him once or twice at the NEC, a worthy world champion.

I can't remember much of the 87 National; only watching long range feeder fishing at Hoveringham. I can remember watching Colin Perry and Denis White at the 83 National.

Beecy

Reaction score
yes thats the guy Mark, Gordon Blanks.

My mate had picked him out as one we should watch as we were keen to see a top pole man tackle the river. We could'nt believe that such a bloke had not even plummed up.

Dave Wingfield

Reaction score
Chris,

A few Barnsley Blacks there but no mention of Dennis White, another great angler who has put a lot of hard work in with the young lads.

Best Regards
Dave

F

Fred Bonney

Here am I with a few minutes to spare in sunny New Zealand...no chance to fish yet.
I saw Bob had started another thread and thought,more rubbish,but turned out quite nice.
Hope your all missing me,love Fred
15.40 wednesday
25c cloudy ish!

P

pons

Thanks for the input one and all.
Dave,
Denis White,
Absolutely brilliant Angler,and worthy of any accolade,and indeed does and has done loads for the kids and new Anglers.
Ivan,was probably the most natural angler going,and a total Bream maestro,though could turn his hand to most things,and THE best crowd entertainer ever,bar none.

Of the new brigade,Will Raison is just Awesome,and can be in a class of his own,and not forgetting the mecurial and great Mr Nudd,and his pal Alan Scotthorne,Terrific talents both,and worthy ambassedeurs each.

Up here in the Midlands, the boy Harrell is more than smokey,and a fabulous Angler.

I could eulogise for hours,but gotta go,as am off to a BS meet in a moment to see some dodgy geezer speak.
Pons