Latest Angling Star

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Anyone read the article on how to catch a double figure Trent barbel in this month's Angling Star (only ?1.20 from good newsagents)?

Suggests a number of good areas to try.

Apparently the weirpool at Fiskerton is excellent as are all the pegs below...

Didn't actually say where you get tickets from mind.

Cue spate (or should that be spite) of irate phone calls to Jim Baxter and demands for a retraction in the next issue.

On behalf of the tenants can I unofficially pronounce that you are not supposed to fish from the wall adjacent to said weirpool and that you are not allowed to use the car park, or purchase day tickets on the first 27 pegs below the weir...

Okay?

Peace, love and understanding.

:)

T

Tony Rocca

Thank you Bob, kind as ever, but "the tenant" would rather speak for himself.

Sounds like it was lifted from A.T about 3 weeks ago (no not Steves one) that said the same regards the weir. Theres a chance if you have a boat I suppose ;)

Not seen it, who wrote it?

J

john ledger

Its certainly not me Tony as i would like to go again sometime with my uncle Fred if your kind permision is granted

T

The Monk

this month's Angling Star (only ?1.20 from good newsagents)?

how much is it from bad newsagents Bob?

Beecy

Reaction score
Monk, it went up from 90p to ?1.20 last month....... round about the time we got a thread by John about what new car hes after?

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear All,

In case there are some perhaps unaware, there are actually two weir pools at Hazelford. None to my knowledge at "Fiskerton?"

I "think", there is one perhaps two pegs in the weir pool on the HPS side of Knabs Island accessible from crossing the iron bridge that goes over to Knabs Island. Again I "think", that these couple of pegs fall within the auspices of Ranmoor Piscatorials? A Sheffield based club that maybe used to have a radius of Sheffield ruling in order to join? Question mark because I'm not sure.

HPS however, and Tony will put me straight if I'm wrong, doesn't operate a radius ruling and anyone can join via going on the waiting list?

The "other" weir pool at Hazelford is on the opposite side of Knabs Island and is quite a pretty looking place. I recall that the fishing on the Knabs Island bank is controlled by Ranmoor whilst the main bank is controlled by the riparian owner via day ticket? Again, Tony will bring me up to speed if I'm out of date. I think that bank run by the riparian owner goes by the name "Kingfisher Fishery??

One word of warning however concerning the Kingfisher bank is that the track leading down to it via a steepish hill is one of the worst along the Trent. I went just for a look a few months ago in the 4x4 and I wouldn't under any circumstances take an ordinary car down it. I kid you not that some of the ruts, more like gaping chasms, were well over three feet deep in places! Of course, that particular track could have been made good by now so I guess a more recent visit may tell a different story.

Regards,

Lee.

J

john ledger

Cheeky t**t Beecy letting the Monk on to my secrets,that tight arse will be sending a begging letter now

J

john ledger

Hes never been the same since i told the world he was a Morris Dancer( nice bloke is Morris)

T

Tony Rocca

Yes Lee, thats a good point, the small weir on the other side of the island is indeed day ticket, ?5 a day I believe. It is known as Kingfisher.

Ranmoor Piscatorials lost the fishing on Knabs island some years ago. The owners, B.W., dont permit any fishing on there now due to health and safety conserns.

Guess the Angling Star may have been sort of right all along Bob.

P

Phil Hackett Manchester Granitewith Pride

What?s the guesting potential on Knabs Island anybody?

T

Tony Rocca

Phil,
I think Lee may know who, or what "Knabs" was. I did but cant remember.

As for "guesting" Out of the question in the summer when the lock is manned, the keeper stays on a narrow boat in the moorings. In the winter you have a chance if you can scale an 8ft high gate with your gear, or have a boat.
The only problem you would have then Phil is that you can be easily seen by any HPS members who are fishing, they would phone the EA bailiff, whos on 24hr call out to us, and get you thrown off.

To summerise then, guesting potential is a bit on the slim side :)

Do you ask for any particular reason? or are you just being an arse as usual?

fishy pete

Reaction score
here we go again!! sod salt and vinagar Greg, nobbys nuts, nobbys nuts, nobbys nuts!!
couldent make it to roach fish in mate,Danny boys just hatched another sprog!
happened on friday night prior to us comming!
how dare his missus drop it before a planned fishing trip?
bit bloody thoughtless if you ask me!!lol

Rob Hilton

Reaction score
Went for a look at the Kingfisher side a couple of weeks ago Lee. You're certainly not exaggerating about that track. Took me about 20 minutes to navigate myself up the slope (not in a 4 wheel drive mind). Wouldn't reccommend it to anyone.

Rob

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
When I used to fish below the small weir (east arm) at Hazelford circa 1986 it was called Lady Pit Farm, Syerston. We always used to have to park at the top of the steepest slope where the hay bales were stored and walk down. No vehicle were allowed beyond this point.

Formerly the The British Rail Staff Association (BRSA) held the fishing rights on the island - I was a member from 1966 onwards and I'm not even sure if they still take a deduction from my salary to this day. Then the island fishing went the way of Ranmoor Piscatorials, a Sheffield club. Seem to recall that Colin Dyson fished there a number of times but tended to concentrate more on his Carlton fishery.

Then I believe all fishing was stopped from the island.

The fishing below the fence on the East Bank is controlled by Nottingham Piscatorials. No day tickets but members can purchase a limited number of guest tickets but the water operates a strict no publicity rule.

P

Phil Hackett Manchester Granitewith Pride

What's an ?arse? Tony?
Is it your attempt (as usual) to hurl personal abuse at me?

On the gesting front - One would need to take a Stil Saw then to deal with the gate. Not a problem, one should be able to hire one for ?25 from HSS shop. If the gate is then removed they fetch ?80 on the dodgy markret, so all costs are covered.

EA bailiff not his jurisdiction as long as one as one has a rod license is it?
And anyway by the time they turn up one should have got 12 months guesting out of at the minimum.

T

Tony Rocca

Its a special term just for you Phil because your a very special boy.

"EA bailiff not his jurisdiction as long as one as one has a rod license is it?"...............
Not usually Phil but this one has been subbed out to BW specially following the "fishing off the wall" incident. Very effective he is too and lives just down the rd.

Why on earth Im answering you is beyond me, Im busy today.

Please come over for a little guest.