Latest AT boob

R

Ron Clay

According to Angling Times, **** Walker created the Arlesey Bomb in 1965. See page 4.

In actual fact this innovative leger lead was devised back way in ca 1949, so that **** and his friends could present lob worms at great distance and depth to the big perch of Arlesey Lake Bedfordshire.

C

Chris Bishop

I don't think that's wrong at all. It seems the right era to me.

R

Ron Clay

But Chris, there is a drawing of the Arlesey Bomb in the first edition of Still water Angling which was published in 1953. 1965 is a year, not an era. They were using Arlesey bombs in 1949.

C

Carp Angler

Seeing as most of the journos on the AT weren't born until the mid 70's, I'm suprised they even got the era right.

I wonder how many letters of complaint they will receive?

R

Ron Clay

Of course not. But, I do READ the weeklies. The problem with the weeklies is that the copy in them is often written by someone who knows absolutely nothing about angling. One of the major problems with modern education is that it is possible to create a whole group of people who are able to talk and even wrtie convincingly about something they know nothing about. The modern politician is a typical example. I'll bet Tony Blair doesn't even know what a virus is.!

C

Chris Bishop

Does the blame for declining standards of angling journalism lay fairly and squarely at the doors of the meejah studies generation..?

Were Janet Street Porter and the swinging sixties the root of the Arlesey Bomb fiasco..?

Personally, I reckon someone just lifted one or two lines of the story out of cuttings and didn't double check a date.

R

Ron Clay

The great shame about making mistakes with dates is that there are people around who believe the printed word and henceforth, 1965 is the year that the Arlesey Bomb was created.
I once remember a talk given by **** Walker in the 60s. He spoke about the relationship beween himself and Jack Thorndike who was editor at the time. It was vitriolic!! He was alway accussing Jack of printing codswallop.

P

Paul Williams

I agree with Ron on this one......if we are going to put something into the written word to be read by others we should be prepared to try to get it right!! if the writer didn't know the date why mention it?
Got to go now i'm helping my nipper with his homework...The battle of Hastings 1865!!!!!!!!!!

W

william kirkwood

**** Walker was right .The angling was
{and still is}a load of cods wallop
Bill Kirkwood

A

Andy Nellist

They got the weight of Alan's record Tench wrong in last weeks issue quoting it as 12-11-8 rather than 12-8-11

D

Dean Hill

and of course journalists' are renowned the world over for printing the truth....