Leads or feeders ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
That's interesting idea as would have to be very sticky not to wash off downstream

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Would you use a longer hooklink if the river is running clear in theory they could see the mainline easier and feedingharder on bottom with colour and then it's flourocarbon, or coated braid ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
The power of the flow needs to be considered. At the moment, the Wye where I live is up to its banks and powering through. Anyone trying to use a feeder or a PVA bag in the fast water will just have it washed straight downstream. Putting groundbait in is a futile exercise - again, a washout straight away. The only purpose for it at the moment is to use as a vehicle to introduce heavy pellets, which are the only freebies with a chance of staying in the swim. Golfball sized balls rather than orange sized.
So I use a straight lead with a big bow in the line to fish the fast water in flood conditions. I might introduce free samples via ground bait balls and might not... Fish the slacks and the feeder or pva works fine.
I had two barbel in a 2 hour session this afternoon fishing just hookbaits.
What size leads do you use ? Bought some more today and heaviest was 4 oz I'm just hoping heavy enough , if not il fish on the slow side of the crease

Philip

Reaction score
The power of the flow needs to be considered. At the moment, the Wye where I live is up to its banks and powering through. Anyone trying to use a feeder or a PVA bag in the fast water will just have it washed straight downstream. Putting groundbait in is a futile exercise - again, a washout straight away. The only purpose for it at the moment is to use as a vehicle to introduce heavy pellets, which are the only freebies with a chance of staying in the swim. Golfball sized balls rather than orange sized.
So I use a straight lead with a big bow in the line to fish the fast water in flood conditions. I might introduce free samples via ground bait balls and might not... Fish the slacks and the feeder or pva works fine.
I had two barbel in a 2 hour session this afternoon fishing just hookbaits.

Might sound strange but I recon really tiny particles also stand a chance in a heavy flow of staying in place. Hemp droppered down, some will catch in the gravel and hold.

You can test it in shallow fast clear swims. The hemp sort of beds down into the gravel and Barbel love rooting it out.

About bait size I think Ray Walton amougst others used to use great big lumps of meat when he was rolling. I get Tiggers point however and you dont want to miss out on fish either by making it so big they cant get it in their mouth.

When I fished some of the more pressured stretches of the Kennet I used to slide several smaller bits of meat up the line above the hook to sort of create a "string" of baits and that seemed to work ok too.

As for lead or feeder, if I know I can get my feed in the right spot from the bank I'll just go with a lead as its just simpler than messing about with a feeder each time and makes less disturbance when you cast in.

bezzer

Reaction score
What size leads do you use ? Bought some more today and heaviest was 4 oz I'm just hoping heavy enough , if not il fish on the slow side of the crease

In normal conditions a 4oz lead should hold bottom. I'd use half that if I fish this side of the crease.

As for hooklengths, I usually have a 3ft/4ft if I'm using a feeder. If it's a lead with a PVA mesh bag it'll be a little shorter. But tbh, everyone will have their perfect length, just go with what you feel right with and be prepared to lengthen/shorten as the day goes on.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score

Sorry for the late response. I guess you've fished it by now - and would have had trouble with the leaves more than with anything else, so presumably only able to fish the crease at best?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response. I guess you've fished it by now - and would have had trouble with the leaves more than with anything else, so presumably only able to fish the crease at best?
Geoff I have not fished it yet I'm going tomorrow. Anyone know if the wye is the same with rubbish being washed downstream

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Geoff I have not fished it yet I'm going tomorrow. Anyone know if the wye is the same with rubbish being washed downstream

Just called a pal as I've been up in London for the last few days. The river is now low and fairly clear with reduced flow - so the leaves shouldn't be much of a problem. It's supposed to rain tonight so hopefully that will freshen it up a bit. I would fish as light a lead as you can (1.5 or 2oz here) with the rod-tips very high. The fish get spooky when it's clear and if lines drag across their back they soon ****** off downstream. Fish 2x8mm trout pellet on the hook and not too heavy on the baiting up - they'll not be liking too much splashing in these conditions.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Just called a pal as I've been up in London for the last few days. The river is now low and fairly clear with reduced flow - so the leaves shouldn't be much of a problem. It's supposed to rain tonight so hopefully that will freshen it up a bit. I would fish as light a lead as you can (1.5 or 2oz here) with the rod-tips very high. The fish get spooky when it's clear and if lines drag across their back they soon ****** off downstream. Fish 2x8mm trout pellet on the hook and not too heavy on the baiting up - they'll not be liking too much splashing in these conditions.
This the Severn?

Got some 8mm or 14's

Or 12mm dumbells