learning to fly fish

A

Alan Thornely

i'm very keen on learning to fly fish as in march i go to cuba and would love to go catch a few tarpon.
i live in tamworth staffordshire and wonder if anyone knows of any good places i can go for some tuition.
i don't think watching rex hunt really qualifies me for tackling the big daddies!
al.

R

Ron Clay

Alan,

The best I can suggest is to get a copy of Trout Fisherman, Fly Fishing and Fly Tying or Trout and Salmon. There are sure to be adverts by AGFI instructors, some of them in your area.

The gear necessary to tackle tarpon is a bit different from what you would use on a UK reservior, river or small stillwater. I have never been to Cuba but I have friends who have fly fished for tarpon off Key West. In most cases you can hire the grear together with a guide. It depends what ypour budget runs to.

Casting a good line with weight 11 and 12 lines for large game fish takes quite a bit of skill. You need to learn the double haul technique but any decent fly casting instructor can teach you that.

R

Ray Bewick

Alan - Rons advice is good.

Like most things in life, effort put in = results achieved.

I have no idea of your resources, so read & ask questions this should be cheap or free (library, fellow Anglers etc.

Consider joining your local fly Anglers club / association / fly dressers guild again should be very reasonable (Winters an excellent time to join lots of socials & meets & there are many people who would like to help those starting in this incredible experience we call 'Angling'.

Unfortunately I have no relevent overseas knowledge so I shall leave that to our more widely traveled colleagues,

Good luck, let the forum know how you get on!

D

Dave O'L

Alan, if you don't mind taking the risk to look a bit of a plonker after having some instruction, use one of the mail order firms to get a mill end or 2 of the sort of fly line you will be using. Find a quiet corner in a field. If you have a video camera & tripod even better - instant feedback?

R

Ray Bewick

David - Luv the new montage.

Trouble is you?re well over 6', or have you shrunk?; bloody small fish, you must have lowered your sights:) ). Mind you, being photographed with you deadbaits has certain cache!

A

Alan Thornely

thanks very much for all your advice, i think i've got my rod sorted and my minds been blown with the technical side of fly lines ,not just a lengh of thin rope then!
i like daves idea of practicing in a field, who cares what i look like, i might go sunday morning and have a crack at half time during the football! it'll be more entertaining than watching our local team!
thanks again i'll keep you posted
AL

B

Ben Illingworth

Having picked up fly fishing whilst living in New Zealand, I have very little knowledge of winter fly fishing for Grayling. I was wondering if any one out there could give my me any pointers. I currently live close to the River Wharfe at Otley.

Any tips would be appreciated....

T

Terry Mann

Alan,
Seem to have come in at the end of this thread but this maybe of some use to you.Living as you do in Tamworth try contacting Fisherwick lakes near Lichfield,they have a trout club there and I think can arrange tuition,find them in the phone book as Midland Gamefisheries.

Ben,
Try logging onto the Fly Fishing and Fly Tying Magazine website you should be able to find some of the many articles they have published about grayling. If that does,nt help feel free to email me and I,ll try to give you some help.