Learning to River Fish

Reaction score
Many thanks everyone for your replies. Starting on rivers feels very daunting but I've picked some stick floats and avons up after work today in various sizes to try this weekend hopefully. I can't make it go too far wrong surely! Is there a way to decide which size float to use as a rule of thumb or is it very dependent upon lots of factors.
Cheers all,
Lloyd

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Many thanks everyone for your replies. Starting on rivers feels very daunting but I've picked some stick floats and avons up after work today in various sizes to try this weekend hopefully. I can't make it go too far wrong surely! Is there a way to decide which size float to use as a rule of thumb or is it very dependent upon lots of factors.
Cheers all,
Lloyd

It depends very much on the venue, but it’s best to err on the heavy side. You will have better control and it’s easier to mend the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rog Hill

Reaction score
As a member of Portsmouth & District you also have an exchange book set-up with Christchurch Angling Club which will open up a lot more diverse river fishing to you. Many of the Hampshire Avon venues are reasonably close to Southampton and are such beautiful places to be that honing the skill of river fishing is a real pleasure.

Andydj

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've come back into fishing after a long stint away and have had great fun this summer chasing tench and silvers in my local club ponds which has vaguely got me back in the swing of things. Coming back to the scene since last time has made me ditch all of my carp fishing stuff and try to be a more rounded angler and just enjoy being away from everything going on in the world. Because of this I would love to give river fishing a go; trotting a float properly, rolling spam for barbel and chub etc but I have no confidence in river fishing at all and frankly have no place to start. Reading them is a mystery and how flow/ weather affects yours days would be a welcome extra to learn.
Is there anyone localish to Southampton who would be willing to possibly give up a few afternoons/ weekends trying to teach a smart idiot how at least look slightly competent on a bankside. I'm part of Portsmouth and District angling if this helps and am happy to travel too. I might be a fool but i'm good at listening and pretty good at baking so cake normally follows me fishing if that swings the balance!

Many thanks in advance,
Lloyd
Hi Lloyd. Try and find some small streams near to you to start with. Use a light Avon type rod or any light rod. Somewhere between 8 and 11 feet would be a good choice. Use a small fixed spool reel loaded with 5 or 6lb line. Tie on a size 8 hook and either freeline or add a Swanshot or two for weight a foot above the hook. For bait use worms or bread. I would recommend worms because they catch all fish. Look for swims where there is some cover in the form of overhanging trees and bushes and a reasonable depth of water. Have 20 minutes or so in each swim before moving on. Feel for bites by holding the line or watch the line where it enters the water. You will soon learn what a bite is like and the basics are easy to pick up. I would leave the Stour and Avon alone to begin with. They are difficult places until you have mastered the basics. It won't take you long to come to grips with it as it sounds like you have some angling knowledge.
I can't really give you much more advice but get out there and discover it all for yourself. Good luck.