Lechlade

D

Daniel Whitelock

has anybody fished lechalde down in gloucestershire recently?? i've been ivited by my uncle and a couple of his workmates there on the june 2nd,i know they have some monsters there, a recent competition had the average size fish caught at 13 lbs i think so i was wondering if anybody had any tips/ patterns to use down there so i can get my monies worth
cheers Daniel

R

Ron Clay

I have not fished Lechlade but I guess it is typical of a very clear water based on chalk or limestone.

If this is the case I suggest the following tips.

Dress in clothes that blend in with your surroundings. Keep low and fish from a folding stool. Wear polariods and spend most of your time fish spotting.

Establish the pattern of feeding of the fish, what level they are feeding at and on what sort of insect life. If the fish are fairly newly stocked from the hatchery, a brown well weighted nymph tied on a strong 10 or 12 hook should work. You have to intercept these fish.

At this time of the year do not go without a few dry hawthorn fly imitations and some well weighted buzzer patterns.

Oh and by the way if your floating fly line is of a light colour, dye it dark brown.

D

Daniel Whitelock

cheers ron i read a bit about it in this months trout fisherman so i am getting a pretty good idea of my plan.

interesting point about dying my floating line a dark brown, how do i go about doin so??

oh yeah while i remember any tips for catching river brownies for when/if i catch my limit??!
they have a stream running round the fishery full of brownies that can be fished once limits have been caught.
cheers Daniel

R

Ron Clay

You need to get some Dylon dyes from your chemist. Dark brown or sepia is my choice. Mix it up double strength and heat it in a saucepan. When it is just cool enough so that you can put your finger in it, dunk in your fly line. Leave it overnight and then take it out and wash it.

Airflo are now doing a polyfuse line that is dark olive green in colour with a bright orange fluorescent tip. I wish they wouldn't do the orange tip!!

It's a waste of time.

D

Daniel Whitelock

cheers ron i might pick some up tomorrow and see how it goes

D

Daniel Whitelock

well i must admit it was the best days fishing i have ever had! walking round i saw quite a few good size fish, low doubles surfacing and when me and my uncle went to our first swim i could see two or 3 huge fish patrolling around, the water wasnt as clear as i had expected, but it was possible to make out the shapes of them when they were close to the surface.

the morning saw me take my first ever double - 10:3 on a small hairs ear and a couple of the blokes who went with us had a few good fish between them on damsels but takes started to dry up by midday and we just plugged at it with damsels mainly but only a few fish came out for a couple of the other blokes but that was about it.
i decided to change tactics and stick on a trusty orange lure - first cast had a good take and after hell of a battle i drew my best ever 13:5 rainbow over the net - my biggest ever fish.
if anyone likes the sound of it let me know and i'll give you some details but i would highly recommend it!

R

Ron Clay

Well done Daniel. Orange fly - I'll bet the trout was stuffed with daphnia.