Ledger Help

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
So, up until recently I did most of my fishing on the waggler and enjoyed a few successful moments, recently however I have started to think about the ledger. Last year I purchased a feeder rod with a selection of tips and today for the first time decided to ledger fish instead. So here's how I did it. I started simple, used a size 16 hook and placed a weight onto the line with a shot about six inches away from the hook to stop the weight and then loaded the hook with maggots. The rod was then placed on two rests, the one at the back higher so the tip of the rod was close to the water, after casting I tightened the line and waited. And waited.. And waited... Compared to my usual float method this is a new way to fish and I noticed that all the other guys fishing this method were also waiting a long time for a bite. Anyone here who has the experience and lingering who would be willing to share the experience would be really appreciated. I am yet to catch anything on the ledger but the waggler on the other hand has become easy in comparison. I am determined to make a catch using a ledger fishing!!!!

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
So here's how I did it. I started simple, used a size 16 hook and placed a weight onto the line with a shot about six inches away from the hook to stop the weight and then loaded the hook with maggots. The rod was then placed on two rests, the one at the back higher so the tip of the rod was close to the water, after casting I tightened the line and waited.
You don't mention feeding - this is just as important as when float fishing. You can either use a blockend feeder filled with loose maggots (if maggots are your chosen hookbait) or loose-feed over the top with a catapult if fishing close-in and you're happy with your level of accuracy with one.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Search Bob Roberts website for his complete book of legering. Can be read online this will give you a greater understanding of fishing the 'tip.

mikench

Reaction score
Get yourself a method feeder( the Guru Hybrid feeder is my favourite) with mould and you can feed and bait at the same time. I echo the comments above about using a bomb only with bait as well. Feeder fishing is very enjoyable and can be highly successful but you are always fishing on the lake bed whatever depth that happens to be. With a float you can try all depths from over depth, dead depth and up in the water. For some reason float fishing has been much more successful for me in the last 12 months. I consider float fishing gives you more chances of finding the fish.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
With a Korum Easy Method Feeder, you don't need a mould (and don't have to worry that an incorrect groundbait mix is going to fly off in mid-air):

chevin4

Reaction score
If you are fishing deep water eg a Reservioir or Lake you could try a paternoster rig with a very long hook link say 3ft. Years ago I had quite a bit of success using a floating mono as the hook link I believe it was Racine Tortue. I used floating maggots this was achieved by leaving some a few minutes in water. The bait would sink slowly and would be intercepted on the drop by big perch.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
A couple of members have mentioned method feeders, I use the Preston Inmovations ICS system.
You can change from a method feder to hybrid feeder,/straight lead/ maggot feeder/ cage feeder without breaking tackle down .
They slide of the feeder stem and a slot in them allows them to come off the line, replace with choice of feeder/straight lead by putting on line and slide down to feeder stem.
Other brands do similar, and also can be modified to suit ICS system

I use guru in weights I cant get in the PI system.

Newbie74

Reaction score
I’m will be trying ledger feeder fishing also just out of interest what type of rod reel are you using

chrissh

Reaction score
It all depends where your thinking of fishing big lake and rivers a rod around 12ft to 13ft, for commercials using method feeder and rod around 10ft

A 4000 size reel loaded with 6 0r 8lb line to match the rod your using

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Well, I have it sorted, gave up the ledger for the feeder and bingo, success. So I am going back to the ledger with the experience of the feeder. If I can catch well on the feeder then I should be doing the same on a basic ledger. Will report. As for the set-up, it's an (I know I know...) Shakespeare Omni Rod with a pretty basic reel loaded with a 6lb line. Funny thing is, I've caught loads of gear with the Shakespeare.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Well, I have it sorted, gave up the ledger for the feeder and bingo, success. So I am going back to the ledger with the experience of the feeder. If I can catch well on the feeder then I should be doing the same on a basic ledger. Will report. As for the set-up, it's an (I know I know...) Shakespeare Omni Rod with a pretty basic reel loaded with a 6lb line. Funny thing is, I've caught loads of gear with the Shakespeare.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If the rod and reel are doing what is required, why change, ?