LETS EAT CARP

R

Ron Clay

I've eaten carp on several occasions (not in UK) A fish of about 5 lbs is nice for cooking. Stuff the stomach cavity with onions wrap up in foil and bake in the oven for about 1 hour at 200 C

Delicious!!

L

Leon Foreman

Ron, I think I was still a youngster in my Parents home when I last ate Carp. Lost teh taste for it somewhere allong the line. Dont think many people in europe realize that is still sort of a staple food in Africa.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"Stuff the stomach cavity with onions." Sounds like Rik to me, and then we all enjoy the result an hour or so later.

R

Rob Brownfield

I can buy Carp in my local Tescos!!..Most distressing for me :eek:(

J

John Toohey

I think the point I was trying to make is getting missed.

http://carp.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000771.html

The link above is another topic under discussion and if you would care to check out the rules which are listed on there they may open your eyes a bit.

These anglers state that they love there sport well if they do then why do they throw the carp they catch into skips after the match.

John.

S

Steve Baker

Does anyone think that eating carp is wrong? I myself have lost my appetite for killing and eating the fish i catch, but i do not think that it is wrong. Does anyone eat coarse fish nowadays?

L

Leon Foreman

Steve, I think one must take a look at what is available to you. If you take the UK situtaion you have local fishmongers that can supply you with Fresh Sea fish and choice cuts of salmon and trout. The chances of someone actually prefering coarse fish over what is available to you is almost null. In SA for instance we do not have such a rich system whereby people away fom the sea can get fresh fish on a regular basis and people have to eather select the pre-packed fish in local supermarkets or Fresh Coarse fish I.E Catfish, Carp and our Yellow Fish (Barbel). We do have trout but not local to the Center of SA. Mostly however since we do have a enormouse supply of red meat avaialable that is eassely accesable to all except the Coastal areas you will find that most people living in the Center of SA are predominantly Meat eaters and in Coastal regions Fish eaters.Coarse fish is also eassely accessable by the Majority of the Public that lives under the breadline as they say and thus they supplement there food with especially Carp that is found in any water system within SA. Seeing that my fishing is severly hampered by work Ill try to Compile an article about how SA views its fresh water angling and how our local ethics with regards to Angling differs from those of anglers in the UK.

N

nick wright

First let me say,Ilove carp and carp fishing.
Every week i prepare in the region of 1000,lb of carp for the table.all are brought by Jewish folk
and east Europeans. The reason we have our lovely big mirrors is that they are bred for the table
all over Europe. Thats the reason why they have BIG ONES,they eat all the small ones.
Every time you meet someone who eats carp, say thanks.

P

Paul Williams

I love haddock!!! one mans carp is another mans haddock!!!!.....they are fish not gods!!!!

R

Ron Clay

I think it is important to understand that the carp we see in England today are the decendants of fish that were selectively bred for humans to eat.

Where any species is available in large quantities, I see no problem in eating the odd one. After all it is because thay were developed for the table that big carp are available for us to catch.

G

Gary Knowles

In canada last year I met a guy who told me of a recipie he knew for eating 'rat fish' (carp) his words not mine !

First you make a small fire then place a large stone on top. Once the stone is piping hot he slit the carps belly and stuffs it with onions and smaller carp.

Place the carp directly on the stone slab and leave for 30 minutes. Gently turn the carp over (its probably just about died by now) and place back on the slab.

After 20 minues gently remove the carp and throw it away...........then eat the bloody stone slab - it tastes better !

mind you, he was fishing with a bow and arrow ! !

W

Wayne Taylor

the carp are there for u to out wit with a rod not a frying pan, he how fights and walks away gets to fighta crap today put em back

D

Dave Johnson

wayne-you been on the beer?

nice one Barney, photos turned up yet?

Dave

S

Stewart Bloor

We have to contextualise angling when we are considering different cultures. I followed the referred to Forum that prompted this thread, and as I read it, it was clear that anglers from different cultures and societies were at cross-purposes because each was coming from their own viewpoint. Although, I must say, at the time certainly that I checked out the thread, the UK viewpoint was a bit narrower than the guys from the USA. If it was an open debate and we had to vote on who we think presented the best argument, my vote would have been cast across the pond.

A

Andy Thatcher

Don't forget that in the Czech Republic for example the traditional Christmas meal is carp. I have eaten carp in eastern Austria many moons ago. About 1978 when a kiddie. Top tip when thinking about eating carp - don't bother they do not have the most delightful of flavours. Eau de silt about covers it.