LIF Fish in

Windy

Reaction score
Really sorry to hear the bad news Ray, and not to have the privilege of your company on the riverside.

I can confirm I have paid - the last thing you need on top of personal stress is to be out of pocket ! - but I am doubtful about being able to attend. Thankfully not because of my Father's ill health previously referred to, but because the aging fleet of Jones's motors are not well. The 200sx needs a new exhaust bracket fitted before she goes anywhere and I don't have the time to do it before Saturday, and the Merc is waiting on a new water pump, having lunched the bearing, which won't arrive with me until Monday...

If I can get the 200sx fixed in the morning I may be on for a few hours in the afternoon, but rusty bolts being what they are and access being what it is I am not betting on it.

If anyone wants to take over my place on Saturday for the not inconsiderably reduced price of say £20 instead of the £25 paid then drop me a message and we can do a deal ? (or make me an offer....)

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Looks like there will be about 10 of us now I reckon.

Such a shame. Mind you. More eels for Skips.

See you all on Saturday.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yep. look forward to meeting up with you all again - at some unearthly hour...............................................

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Spoke to Linsey today everything is ok for Saturday, for some reason i keep thinking it will be on Sunday. Minds not right at the moment, and before anyone says anything, I know, I know, it's never been right :eek:mg:

Have a great day lads.

If the gate is shut, don't worry it isn't locked so just open it, and get catching.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I may be on for a few hours in the afternoon

Isn't that the norm Windy? ;):D:D

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Yep. look forward to meeting up with you all again - at some unearthly hour..............................................

I'll try to get you back early Jerry to catch up on your missed sleep ;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Right.......in the absence of the Cheshunt Eel Charmer I am appointing myself as Head Boy for the day so we will meet at the fishery at 0745 and anybody caught trying to sneak off and bag their favourite swim goes down the Mill Race minus his trousers....as does anybody who I catch ledgering or deliberately fishing for flounders or brim. You have been warned.

This is not a democracy so my decisions are final.

Latest forecast says cloudy all day, temp around 7-8 c and wind from the NE at 8 mph. Positively spring-like.

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
Self appointed head boy and straight in with the trousers down :eek: Even the Navy was less blatant!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
If Skips is going to be the Navy chief DON'T make sure you don't wear lace up shoes.

See you tomorrow gentlemen.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
If S-Kippy's head boy, don'i be the "fag" who ends up luggin his seat box :eek:

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

Jerry, don't forget the glasses this year:D

B

binka

Good luck fellas, looking forward to hearing how you all get on.

Windy

Reaction score
I'm not going to make it I am afraid. Got the bracket off - eventually, - but there is welding needed I can't get done today and so its the lesser option of Abu Dhabi qualifying for me today. Very sorry to miss it, has been my favourite fishing outing of the last five or six years now - and missed two in a row !

Hopefully bad things and threes won't strike next time.

Looks like perfect weather out there or it too, bright sun shining, no heavy wind, river had a good flush through last week..... if only I could have been there to spoil it !

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Another enjoyable day on the Itchen, beautiful surroundings, good fishing and excellent company, even with the deplete numbers. Jerry and I travelled to the upper reaches of the course beat where the river was gin clear, about 2'0 deep and running through at a decent pace. First cast produced a decent Grayling of just under a pound on a single red maggot and was followed by another four with a couple over the pound mark. A Trout of a pound odd messed up the swim for abouy twenty minutes before the Grayling came on again. Finished with twenty two Grayling to a pound and a half, couple of trout, the second over two pound and a minnow from the swim adjacent to the mill. Left just after three, didn't want Jerry getting over tired:)

If you're looking in Ray, hope today isn't too stressful, ATB mate

barbelboi

Reaction score
I left at 5am for a meet up with Ian at 6am in the Oxfordshire countryside where he was going to drive us both to the LIF. It was a murky dark morning with a nip in the air and we arrived first at the fishery with the others arriving in quick succession over the next couple of minutes. After a chat and catch up Ian and I made our way to the far upstream section of the lower beat for some grayling.
lifnov16_zpsogxktgrg.jpg

The river was low (about 0.7m on average) here, fast flowing and gin clear. Ian. fishing 80m, or so, downstream of me must have set up at the speed of light (of what there wasn’t much of at this unearthly hour of around 8.30) and had already banked a couple of decent ‘ladies’ before my stick hit the water.
lifian16_zps7ekjmhgn.jpg

I was soon into some fish, about 20-30m downstream of the trot and this became the pattern of the day until it went somewhat quieter early afternoon. Unlike previous years where your feeding could bring the fish in much closer, yesterday in the shallow, clear conditions the fish were all taken a range. I never managed to get near the two and a half pounder of last year but had some decent fish in the pound to pound and three quarters bracket that put up a good scrap from distance in the fast water on light gear.I only took one photo as the fish were pretty crackered after bringing them in from some 30m against the current.
lif163_zps2rjx6yse.jpg

We decided to motor back down to the mill end for a chat with the others and the deeper, coloured water there was still producing fish. As always, good to meet up with all the usual faces although the lowest turnout by some way that I can remember.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Did anyone fish for the roach below the sluice then?

Typically you can always pick up a good fish or two with a small feeder cast across to the drain on the far side just below the faster water . . . . . using the kitchen window as a marker . . . . .

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Did anyone fish for the roach below the sluice then?

Typically you can always pick up a good fish or two with a small feeder cast across to the drain on the far side just below the faster water . . . . . using the kitchen window as a marker . . . . .

Jerry and I had the last half hour there on the float Peter, net result one minnow each :wh

I think Graham started there and moved upstream