Light lure rod advice

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Thanks Chris - I know you're right... just had to scratch the itch by asking the question and looking for confirmation.

The Drennan Lureflex is 15-50g and I have a 5-15g Westin; I guess I'll keep the Drennan as my nuisance pike rod.

John Aston

Reaction score
I use a Drennan Dropshot rod rated at 4-16g on the rivers for perch , but have caught lots of pike to mid doubles on it without too much angst. If I am targetting pike alone I do use a heavier rod but in most situations the difference is surprisingly small. I think there has been a trend to overgun our tackle and some of the stuff used would land a shark . I watch a lot of American saltwater lure fishing stuff - all catch and release- and it has been a revelation to see not only how light they fish , but how fast they can play out even hard fighting fish like snook and redfish.

Two rods better , but one can do as a compromise , as long as fish size and nature of water allow .

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I returned the Drennan Lureflex - hated the handle... very uncomfortable, and it was very tip heavy... just felt completely wrong.

So I need a 'medium' lure rod for pike - in the region of 10/15-40/50. Any suggestions for a budget rod in that range? Preferably 8ft, for a little extra help in weed avoidance.

I'm looking at a PENN Wrath and a Fox Rage Warrior, both of which are on offer at about £35.00. I don't particularly want to spend more until I know if I really want to target pike, rather than just pulling the occasional nuisance pike out of a swim.

Thanks.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
I returned the Drennan Lureflex - hated the handle... very uncomfortable, and it was very tip heavy... just felt completely wrong.

So I need a 'medium' lure rod for pike - in the region of 10/15-40/50. Any suggestions for a budget rod in that range? Preferably 8ft, for a little extra help in weed avoidance.

I'm looking at a PENN Wrath and a Fox Rage Warrior, both of which are on offer at about £35.00. I don't particularly want to spend more until I know if I really want to target pike, rather than just pulling the occasional nuisance pike out of a swim.

Thanks.
I have the Fox Rage Warrior medium in the 210cm format - it's my first lure rod so can't really compare it to anything, but I'm very happy with it, particularly for the price. Haven't caught anything of any size so far, but it has handled what I have caught just fine and feels like it could cope with plenty more if it needed to.

John Aston

Reaction score
I have a Fox Bushwhacker XLNT 10-40g for pike lure fishing . It's very good for that, throwing heavy lures well and taming double figure fish with ease. But don't expect to fish small lures , nor to get much enjoyment about catching small pike, or perch of any size . Even the daft name reflects how stupidly macho so much fishing has become. So don the camo, pack your Bushwhacker and massive reel , then show your local canal whose boss..

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I have a Fox Bushwhacker XLNT 10-40g for pike lure fishing...

I Googled and it comes up as Savage Gear Bushwhacker XLNT. Not only a daft name, but I imagine the acronym is millennial for excellent. I guess we have to accept that the marketing genius's, and buyers, are getting younger.

@Clive

Reaction score
I have a confession to make. I do not understand when people talk about the weight of jigs, i.e. latex lures, and the rods designed to cast those weights, whether they are referring to the weight of the jig head or the combined weight of the latex bit and the jig head?

I have been weighing the unmounted lures using postal scales and there is a vast difference in the weights of some latex lures from around 1.5g to over 20g, but crucially they are sold by length, not weight.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I have a confession to make. I do not understand when people talk about the weight of jigs, i.e. latex lures, and the rods designed to cast those weights, whether they are referring to the weight of the jig head or the combined weight of the latex bit and the jig head?

I have been weighing the unmounted lures using postal scales and there is a vast difference in the weights of some latex lures from around 1.5g to over 20g, but crucially they are sold by length, not weight.

I take the weight as being both the body and the jig head that you choose to pair it with. I wouldn't buy a lure without knowing what weight it is... most of the ones I've looked at - from the well-known brands - do state the weight, as well as the length of course.

But by all accounts, casting weights are only a guide, and (within reason) it's more to do with loading the rod, rather than the size of the quarry.

It's at the lighter end that you need to match the rod to the lure more carefully, so that a rod rated for, say, a 5g lure will actually load satisfactorily, rather than feeling like you're casting a peanut with a broomstick.

I'm only just beginning to fish with lures, but that's my understanding.

@Clive

Reaction score
The unmounted lures that I have been looking at online don't have their weights in the descriptions, hence my question. Maybe just a French thing.

I was interested in finding out what they weighed is for reasons that you outline.The modern rods are easier to grade using their casting rating as long as you know what the total weight of the mounted lures are. I've been sorting them into three boxes corresponding to their total weight when mounted.

I also have a cane trout spinning rod and casting reel from the 1930's that I didn't know what sort of weights it would throw. I have been in the garden trying it out and it will comfortably put a 6g weight 18 to 20 yards using a variation of the Wallis Cast. Didn't have time to gauge its upper limit though.