Lincoln

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Have never been before but drove younger daughter and boyfriend up for an engagement party. What a lovely city - have missed out a bit here- we have driven past on the way to Grimsby for football a few times but never stopped. I know a few on here are local - how is the fishing locally - river looked like it needed water but loads of drains locally and some terrific villages. Will definitely be back!

nottskev

Reaction score
Have a look at some of Dave Coster's Diary on here - it's in the News and Features section at the top. He seems to be fishing in the area loosely bounded by Grantham, Newark and Lincoln. He catches no end of fish of all species on stills, canals and rivers. You're right about Lincoln. We often go over for the Christmas market - it's a good day out.

john step

Reaction score
Oi ! Dont put it out on open forum. We dont want the world knowing.

Joking aside Lincoln an d District have a portfolio of waters ranging from the Tidal Trent in the West and the Fosdyke which links said Trent to The Witham. See Dave Costers articles.
Various still waters available.
Costs a Lincolnshire fortune though for me. £30 Oap per year.

Lincoln is the highest point in East England. The Lincolnshire Wolds are a place of Special Interest and quite unknown to the outside world who think Lincolnshire is flat as a pancake.

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Well, I have lived in Boston for years and yes, we have some good waters. Not sure about Lincoln but I can confirm that the Fen dykes and waterways are extremely popular and support lots of fish, especially Pike. Here in Boston, it's the Witham that takes centre stage as it runs straight through and back in the day the Witham was a key Match venue. Whilst the Witham still holds a great attraction it does suffer from weed so a fishing spot has to be chosen with care. My local club is the Boston District Angling Association and we have a nice private lake, so if the rivers are not good you can still fish at the lake. If you want to see more about the side of Lincolnshire fishing have a look at the club website (just search BDAA Fishing) and you will get a feel for what's around this side of Lincoln. The rivers here are wild, but that's part of the attraction. The BDAA owns the stretches of the Witham around the Boston Fens Area.

John Aston

Reaction score
I lived in Lincoln for five years in the 70s and loved it. My last flat was 5 minutes from the cathedral , and the walk to it belied the popular misconception that Lincolnshire is flat .. I made many good fishing friends there , some of whom went to become very well known anglers, and loved the Upper Witham , Bain ,Barlings Eau , Louth Canal , Trent (no barbel then ) and the countless pits and lakes .

My favourite race circuit - Cadwell is up on the Wolds and I spent 4 days there back in June - bliss..and it is only a few miles from Woldale, which I have walked around. A (very) senior colleague of mine was Maurice Ingham , who I shyly asked about fishing once .

Much as I love North Yorkshire , I'd happily live down in Lincolnshire again

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
My Old Man was a Lincolnshire boy born and raised in Swaby on the Wolds between Alford and Louth. We spent our holidays there at my Aunts every year as kids. She was out tatie picking in the morning and when she returned we all barrelled into her car and went to the coast....Anderby, Sutton,Chapel St Leonards and Mablethorpe and absolutely loved it. My younger brother and I still visit most years....I think he knows Lincolnshire better than where he lives now, wouldn't surprise me if he upped stumps and moved there. We try to avoid visiting Swaby though as the house we knew has been changed beyond all recognition and the garden ( my Uncle Dave's pride and joy) is now completely overgrown. Ruins the memories I'm afraid.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Both the Witham and the Fosse around Lincoln can give you great sport drop-shotting for perch and pike, but give the Town Centre a miss as certain elements of the population regard those waterways as their liquid larder....

Oh, and judging by the empty lager cans, used nappies, plastic bags and other detritus that flows past where I work in the centre of town, these waterways make handy waste disposal units as well.. ?

Last edited:

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
And I forgot to mention the proliferation of magnet fishers we see now. Seems one section of the population is chucking stuff in the rivers whilst another section is dragging it out.

Although, once the magnereers have hauled something out of the water and found that their booty does not consist of Spanish doubloons, they're left with a few options:

A) Do they take away the unwanted items they have pulled out of the water, and dispose of them responsibly?

B) Much more likely, and seems to be the preferred option, just leave them on the bank.

C) If B, then the previously mentioned section of the community, just sling the items back in the river.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all - will certainly be back at some point as it is a lovEly part of the country. May well bring fishing gear next time!

hague01

Reaction score
Visited the wold's in May for a few days. The RSM didn't believe me how beautiful the countryside is. Couldn't tell her that's where the girlfriend lives. Anyway revisited Lincoln on way home to Essex. Geogeous city. Love to wet a line there too. Maybe next year?

john step

Reaction score
I have had my first autumn trip to the Fosdyke curtailed this year. Went to visit and found wall to wall duck weed. The Fos goes into the Witham and on our local news the boaters at Boston Marina complained that the weed is so thick they cant get out on the river with their motor boats.
Thats happened a few years ago with an invasive foreign weed. Kids had thrown bricks in that actually rested on the surface.

We need a goodly amount of rain.

John Aston

Reaction score
Keep the info coming - I am planning a trip in late Autumn to my old haunts and intend to give the Fosdyke 'upstream ' of Skellingthorpe a go for perch .

flightliner

Reaction score
Have never been before but drove younger daughter and boyfriend up for an engagement party. What a lovely city - have missed out a bit here- we have driven past on the way to Grimsby for football a few times but never stopped. I know a few on here are local - how is the fishing locally - river looked like it needed water but loads of drains locally and some terrific villages. Will definitely be back!
Always had a soft spot for Lincoln, lovely place, especially so for anglers!
So many waters to go at. It's a bare hours drive from my house and still have the odd visit.
Lots to see, particularly the cathederal (visible from some hi points in Sheffield with binocculers on a clear day) and surrounding areas so it makes a good venue for a family day out.
Like Skip I've done the rooftop tour which for an ex carpenter and joiner is fascinating, from a thieves view its a dream with six acres of lead sheathing!
I also do my best to attend the local pike anglers bash (pac) once a year, a good night for all.
The pic is one of me at sunset after a days pike fishing on the Witham back in the eighties just below the bridge at Tattershall.

Attachments

• IMG_20210908_175229.jpg
    IMG_20210908_175229.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Look at that pic! You're quite the angling poster boy, there Mick. I've already said I like the place, but I've just remembered spending a weekend there 25 years ago at a get-together (they called it a conference, but that smacks of management, spit) for fans of Leonard Cohen. It was held in a gorgeous building that I'm told was a re-purposed Victorian mental hospital. The light from the beautiful windows was a balm to heal the mind. As I'd just split up with a girlfriend, I couldn't have asked for more: a lovely old city, a weekend staying in an old town pub and, a lunatic asylum packed with Cohen aficionado's. Like a bird on a wire.

rob48

Reaction score
Did you wear your famous blue raincoat for the occasion?

John Aston

Reaction score
Planning a trip to the Fosdyke via memory lane soon. I will be fishing lures for perch. Any local info on how it is fishing please?

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Hi

There are some sizeable pike coming out of the Fosse near the Pyewipe Inn, but if it is perch you are after, try the Witham just upstream of the Plough at the end of Brant Rd.