Line... Biting the bullet!

Aknib

Reaction score
I have a small stock of my go to all rounder Pro Gold still to use but, given the increasing difficulty sourcing and obtaining it i'm beginning to think that i'm going to have to bite the bullet and do the unthinkable...

Look for an alternative.

I'm not one for re-spooling after a session, I simply don't have time so Sensor is out of the equation, Maxima I like but think it's too stretchy for tip work.

Is there actually a tried and trusted good all rounder still out there that I could consider, or has the trade got it's way... Multiple spools loaded with multiple different niche lines for certain disciplines whilst the tills ring in celebration?

Pro Gold is a tough act to follow, all suggestions greatly received but it will have to do float and tip work on running and stillwater.

@Clive

Reaction score
I bought a lot of Ultima before they closed their UK production and that did me well for many years. When I recently shopped around for new line I came across some ridiculously cheap Ultimate line from a Dutch based online company. I ordered a 300m spool for less than €3 expecting it to be useful for backing. It is actually very good so I stocked up in my usual breaking strains. Back then you could get a wide selection of 1200m spools for €8 each. Now they are running low, but the 300m for €3 are still in stock. You can get it in the UK from their British website; https://fishdeal.co.uk/t/monofilament/ultimate-topix-nylon-invisible-grey-300m

The 150m fluoro line is useful for shock and rubbing leaders. I usually attach a fluoro leader to my braid and some mono lines and make my new pole rigs from it.

rob48

Reaction score
I was looking for an alternative to the 3.4lb/0.17 PG that I use for bolo fishing and James Robbins' Edge tackle float mono @4lb/0.16 seems to cover it. Very slightly stretchier than the PG but nice and supple. There's a sinking mono that's supposed to be tougher for feeder fishing which I haven't had chance to try yet.
As I mentioned on the other thread it's only bout £9 for 300m so worth a punt IMO.

Aknib

Reaction score
Cheers Clive.

Must admit I like the grey colour, I have been using Ultima (a clear version) in the 10lb b/s for my Barbel fishing hooklinks for a few years and it has an excellent knot strength, as per the info in your link i've found the abrasion resistance is extremely good too.

I may well give this a go, I like the low stretch claim (with regards to the lower b/s's which i've not dabbled with) and have no reason to doubt it given the abrasion claim.

Very much cheaper too!

@Clive

Reaction score
It is very much like Gardner GR60

And you won't have to re-spool after every outing 😉

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Gardner Hydroflo is worth considering.

I’ve still got plenty of Pro Gold in the higher bs but not lower so some time ago I started using Hydro Flo in the lower (4-5-6) bs and it’s been very good. Not quite as well behaved as PG but close and it’s not let me down yet. Similar colour to PG ( which I like) though I think they do a clear version too.
GR 60 is good but I’ve only ever used it in 10-12lb bs and frankly you could stop a destroyer with it.If you’re after a 10lb ish line then GR60 would get my vote