line clips

jimmybobkin

Reaction score
Although I have always appreciated the advantage of a line clip on the reel for accurate casting to far banks/boats/islands, I have always been wary of using this feature in case a monster takes the bait. My biggest fish, an 18lb carp, was caught whilst fishing with a match rod, 4lb line and maggots for silver fish. It was quite a shock when my line was almost stripped completely from the reel and a 30 minute fight ensued. I see there is now a new reel with an advanced type of line clip (MAP) which overcomes the danger of getting caught out. Hopefully it will catch on and other manufacturers will follow suit. Oh, the line clip on my Shimano dx 3500 is a next to useless feature on an otherwise brilliant reel.

Simon K

Reaction score
Jimmy,

Leaving the line still clipped up after you've cast out is a complete no-no in my opinion. Once you've found your distance, use either a small piece of electrical tape to mark the line (or tie a short loop of pole elastic) then unclip once you've cast and set the rod down.

If you get a take, simply cast back out afterwards until you hear the marker "hit" the rod-rings (it's unmistakeable) then wind the marker down to the clip position and clip up.

You stand every chance of losing rods or breaking line on fish if you leave it clipped up while waiting for a bite.

sagalout

Reaction score
On my shimano baby baitrunners the blurb states the line clip ain't a line clip, it is just for securing the line when the reel is not in use and using it as a line clip will cause the reel to explode and the ensuing debris may have your eye out.

My Penn sargus have resolved this problem with a very cunning design feature, the line clip actually cuts the line. Very useful if you have left your teeth at home and need to cut the line.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Yep, once upon a time line clips were only used to secure the line when not in use. If your Shimano has a feeble little plastic clip it's because they don't intend it to be used in the manner that so many do now.

Shimano do have decent sturdy metal line clips on some reel models. However, chances are that on most of the match type reels, even damned expensive ones, they still have the same little bit of plastic as has been a feature for years. The meaning and expectation of "line clip" has changed over the years. I suspect that the little plastic tabs might be better off called a "line retainer" to avoid disappointment.

peterjg

Reaction score
The line clips on most reels are useless and can damage lines. Try putting a loop of 6lb power gum under the line clip and then winding the line onto the reel over the two loose ends of the power gum - the covering of power gum over the line clip will stop the line from being damaged.