Line help please

Robbie C

Reaction score
Thanks guys,I now have good options. I am happy with Sensor for my mainline,but can consider Aero match and pro float.For hooklengths , Reflo,Pro rig,Silstar and Supplex fluro all have fans.
John the braid looks good if I want to beef up for specimens.I will probably take your advice and start off fishing straight through, but it’s good to have options of decent hooklengths if I want to scale down.If the tench aren’t feeding, I may scale down to 2-3 lb hooklengths go for the silvers,but still have a chance with a bigger fish.
Guys it’s good for returnees or beginners to see what lines you use,there are so many choices.30 years ago I only used Bayer.
Keep them coming !

john step

Reaction score
Glad you are sorted. My idea and my use of the braid for hooklinks is not however to beef up. They would both give the benefit of a more subtle bottom end without the need to go lighter should you need it. I cannot say any measurements off hand but the Sinklink will be a lot thinner than 6lb Sensor, more like the 3lb bs you were considering but still retain the strength.
Let us know how it pans out when we get back to fishing.

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
If the water was clear I would 100% use fluorocarbon. If the water was coloured I would still use fluorocarbon because that's what I use 99% of the time. But in coloured water I would have no worries about using a strong/thin nylon.

Robbie C

Reaction score
If the water was clear I would 100% use fluorocarbon. If the water was coloured I would still use fluorocarbon because that's what I use 99% of the time. But in coloured water I would have no worries about using a strong/thin nylon.

I’ve researched fluorocarbon. Apparently it doesn’t like shot moved on it, which is not a problem. Say I can use a 12-18 inch hooklength with only one shot on it.Probably shot sizes 6 or 8. Would lead in an 8 be better?
So what brands of fluorocarbon do you use? What knots do you recommend ? Thanks

wetthrough

Reaction score
I’ve researched fluorocarbon. Apparently it doesn’t like shot moved on it, which is not a problem. Say I can use a 12-18 inch hooklength with only one shot on it.Probably shot sizes 6 or 8. Would lead in an 8 be better?
So what brands of fluorocarbon do you use? What knots do you recommend ? Thanks

The only issue I've had with shot on a Fluoro hooklength is it moving although I only use 10s or 8s lead. I routinely test hooklengths to breaking point if they survive to get an idea as to how much they've deteriorated. I've never had one break where the shot has been. It doesn't seem to matter how hard you pinch them on either. That's Supplex Fluoro, can't speak for other brands which are available.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Ultimate Knots – KRYSTON

This is a good guide to knots. It was put together by Dave Chilton, who used to contribute to this site as”The bone collector”.

The gist of tying flouro is to not use strangulation knots. The blood knot works well on flouro as does the Palomar knot, knotless knot is also good a particularly good knot is the “Non slip loop knot.” This knot was shown to me by a friend who used the added refinement of blobbing the tag end. He was using it with a very small loop for tying hooks as it allows the hook to articulate freely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robbie C

Reaction score
Ultimate Knots – KRYSTON

This is a good guide to knots. It was put together by Dave Chilton, who used to contribute to this site as”The bone collector”.

The gist of tying flouro is to not use strangulation knots. The blood knot works well on flouro as does the Palomar knot, knotless knot is also good a particularly good knot is the “Non slip loop knot.” This knot was shown to me by a friend who used the added refinement of blobbing the tag end. He was using it with a very small loop for tying hooks as it allows the hook to articulate freely.

Thanks Ray,
I had a quick look and will use the guide. It seems to be for specimen eyed hooks and swivels.
Is there a similar guide for spade end hooks ?

Keith M

Reaction score
Ultimate Knots – KRYSTON

Ray did you not mean ‘The Uni knot (Grinner knot) works well on flouro as does the Palomar knot’?

I know the guide says that the Grinner knot is not (for some reason) a good knot with flouro but I’ve not had any problems using it (yet). I’ll change over to the Palomar knot though just incase. I’ll not be using the notorious blood knot however :)

NB. The blood knot is a strangulation knot whereas the Grinner and Palomar knots are not strangulation knots.

Keith

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Ray did you not mean ‘The Uni knot (Grinner knot) works well on flouro as does the Palomar knot’?

I know the guide says that the Grinner knot is not (for some reason) a good knot with flouro but I’ve not had any problems using it (yet). I’ll change over to the Palomar knot though just incase. I’ll not be using the notorious blood knot however :)

NB. The blood knot is a strangulation knot whereas the Grinner and Palomar knots are not strangulation knots.

Keith

Dave Chilton was the owner of Kryston and he wrote the guide. Not many people know more about line than him. Dave is quite a successful angler in his own right. If I am just tying on a hook or swivel then I usually use the palomar knot if I can, you can use the tag end to tie a band or stop but it is harder to get the hair length correct. I have done this when floater fishing to good effect.

Reaction score
I personally would go for the same line as the reel line but just in a lighter breaking strain.
A normal mono will usually have a better abrasive resistance and I don't think the line diameter seems to matter that much, especially for the bream.
Some lines catch more anglers than they do fish.
Best just to find something that suits your preference and stick with it until you find any issues or reasons to change it