Line Twist

W

Wendy Perry

I'd love a pole rod but i'm only just learning myself so i think i should wait a while coz i believe they are totally different than a rod and reel ?? Don't u have to pull em apart when you get a fish ???

D

David OLoughlin

Either that, Wendy or you need the arms of a Urangatang.

R

Rick Shaw

Chris, try a sidecaster 'Rolling' pin if your loaded and can find one.
Try braid mainline, no memory - no twist, brilliant stuff

P

Paul Williams

Steady on now Rick, braid?? thats a little futuristic for a barbel angler.....thought you would have been a "pin n mono" man.. ;o)

P

Paul Williams

Yep.....i sent one to Swag....i am grounded over the weekend now.....but i'll make up in the week!!!!!!!

P

Peter Morton

Try not to retrive when a fish is taking line against the clutch,as i have found this can put a lot of twist into the line.
Let the clutch do its work and once the fish has stopped running then retrive.
Mind you i'm a matchman,i normally lock the clutch up and backwind.......LOL

D

Dave Johnson

didnt get it Paul? AND ITS NOT ON THE SWAG site?

u pissed up when u sent it? lol

G

GYPSY DAVE

Line twist is imparted to line when it is pulled directly from the spool on the clutch or bait runner and then retrieved onto the spool by winding thus imparting twist.
The the most definitive and easiest way to understand this is on the Gardner Tackle Videos with Frank Warwick. These videos are a must for beginners and seasoned anglers alike. I learn't loads from them and have been fishing for 31 years, 26 of them for carp and thought i knew it all. Apart from my obvious big headedness it just go's to show you are never to young (or obstinate) to learn!
Cheer's

W

Wendy Perry

GD where can i get this video from i need to watch a few i think

C

Chris Bishop

I can't see me ever getting into centrepins etc somehow. This traditional tackle lark just isn't me.

Braid's top banana - been using it ages and love it to bits.

L

Lewis Murawski

i have used the shimano reels first referred to, and the spinning roller helps reduce line twist so i dont know what they are on about,as far as loading line onto the reels spool, ideally you want someone holding the line you want to load onto your reel, with a pencil through the middle, and making sure that it is facing the same way on which it is going to be loaded onto your reel.Also if using pre stretched or semi stretched (such as super shinobi) this will have a tendency to spin up on the reel roller than older more durable lines (such as bayer, maxima etc).

K

Kevan Farmer

If you have a reel that is full of twisted line already and do not have a 'spin doctor' -i've not seen them in the shops - there is another way. Find a decent length of grass - clean public park or golf course. open the bail arm and let the line off while walking backwards. Once you are about half way down the spool pop the bail arm back on and carry on walking backwards. The line will untwist itself in the grass. You do need to do this on clean ground though otherwise the line may get damaged. Wind it back on under an even pressure and it should be ok.

Kevan