Lockdown effect on fishing ?

Aknib

Reaction score
We had this conversation at work some time ago and I'm convinced it will travel on the wind, a bit like foot 'n mouth.

Stands to reason imo and the gradually ramped up lockdowns in other countries would bare that theory out.

I think the big problem is, is if the scientists and government suspect the same, then the general public would be complacent about the measures already taken and ignore them but I reckon stricter, and more imposing measures, are to come.

Anyway it don't matter, I'm moving to the USA 'cos Uncle Don reckons he's getting things up and running by Easter :w

Ah buqqer...

Just checked, no flights!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Germany is the place to be (for now), I wonder why their mortality rate is so low.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
That is a very interesting point. I have never heard this mentioned before by all those giving advice on the box. I wonder if this is the reason for the amazingly speedy spread of it across continents.
On the face of it this would seem more to the point than the 6 feet rule.

Anyone know for sure from scientific studies if it can spread like that on the wind?

I did think this on another thread John when it was spreading. It did not take long for it to spread to over a 100+ countries in how ever many weeks it has been, this despite all the measures. I wouldn't be surprised if the spread of this followed the wind direction and strength as much as anything else.
It still would have traveled by people but maybe not so quickly. I am no expert but it looks logical to me the same with it traveling 40 miles in two hours. And if it's 10 hours that's 200 miles. We are still more likely to catch it down the high st than some outtheway fishing spot but we are not immune to catching it like some anglers seem to be thinking, and spending 5 hours fishing is more exposure in time than 1/2 hour shopping. And it's not us catching it, that's up to Xon for example but it's the 100 others we might pass it on to including our family's, do they deserve us taking the risk, however small; for a bit of fishing!! That's when it gets really selfish. If we don't care about taking the risk, what about them!
A bloke on the news had to isolate himself from his daughter because she was being treated for cancer so he could only stand in the garden and talk to her through a window and then think of all the NHS and other workers who have to go to work and HAVE to take huge risks, we should consider ourselves lucky by comparison; all we have to do is stay indoors as much as possible. Lucky we have the choice.
It has been easier for me it's true, because I have been on a fishing lay off anyway, but I am sure I would have still come round to this way of thinking.
I find it helps to think of this in two weekly parcels, do what they advise for two weeks and see where we are, then take another two weeks and so on until this breaks; I find that helps in the mind, doesn't seem so bad than thinking of it as three months or longer.

Last edited:

chipbuttee

Reaction score
There is also a lockdown on the Broads national park Norfolk and Suffolk please see Broads Authority Full details, as for boating example Richardson's boatyard Stalham have halted hiring of all holiday and day boats etc again please see their website for Full details.

peterjg

Reaction score
When there was a compulsory close season I was still a carp angler, I always found that it took around 3 weeks due to bankside disturbance for the carp to settle and feed normally. Though usually someone would get very lucky and have a one-off superb catch.

Now being interested in roach I fear that with no bankside disturbance the cormorants and otters will have a field day and there is no one to man the crayfish traps!

John Keane

Reaction score
I’ll echo that, with nobody on the fisheries (of all types) the cormorants are going to have a field day.

GT56

Reaction score
Boris cancelled our planned midweek canal trip, Monday evening via the BBC.
Our garden birds, especially Mr Robbo and Mrs Robbo are currently enjoying fine dinning on what would have been my canal bait and there's pinkies left for tomorrow!
Just slightly of topic, my rod license expires at the end of the month and I'm not renewing, partly because I don't want to pay for something I can't use and now don't need.
Will Angler's who went down the direct debit route still be issued with a new license or will this go on hold for the time being?

mikench

Reaction score
It will be a boon for all predators of fish without the daily interruptions of anglers into their nefarious activities.

steve2

Reaction score
Over the winter because of bad weather no one fished one of our lakes. The bailiff on one day noticed a big increase in cormorant activity. This increased the longer no one fished until there were 15 perched on the pump house this on a small lake.
On another lake a friend saw a group of cormorants herding fish into a corner and taking turns to attack them. So most fisheries will be under attack.
If your water is local why not take your exercise by walking the lake.

mikench

Reaction score
A local fishery on my card but a dayticket one was closed for two months last year because of a pollution issue. When I finally got to fish it in June last year I arrived early and spoke with the owners son carrying a shotgun. He told me he had shot 28 cormorants in the preceding 4 weeks. Previously they rarely saw one. Small wonder one lake no longer holds silver fish.

Cormorants will have a field day over the next few months so I hope clubs will be taking precautions. Be in no doubt any anglers on a water will deter them as they are cautious birds.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Will an enforced shutdown of fishing have any effect greater than that which was an annual event prior to the Close Season being abolished on still waters and some canals?

We had that stipulation for many, many decades and usualy within a few weeks the fish were back to feeding confidently.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Predators will only eat the same amount of food wether there are people fishing or not, they don't eat for the sake of it like humans.
I know of a number of local waters that actually have cormorant roosts and breeding colonys on them. The very same waters are absolutely stuffed with small rudd, specimen rudd, perch of all sizes, roach, tench, pike. These are wild waters and virtually unfished. The water is gin clear so nice and easy for the predators to spot fish.

GT56

Reaction score
You have to be concerned for the local tackle shops, we must support them as soon as possible.

mikench

Reaction score
It may be old news but AD have closed all their stores. Online is still operating.

Reaction score
But tackle shops must close their doors,it isnt essential to buy tackle.

nottskev

Reaction score
Lockdown? Nobody seems to have told the walkers, dog-walkers, cyclists and motorcyclists and general tourists visiting the Peak District today like it was any old spring day.

Or else they have been told but don't give a sh*t.

What do you think would be an appropriate way for society to express it's appreciation?

wetthrough

Reaction score
We've been told that we can go out to exercise but you can exercise at home, no need to go out at all.