long rod advice

K

keith reid

I am thinking of buying a long float rod but would like some info on this from folk who have used them. Some I have heard , are top heavy and unwieldy.I will primarily be using it for stick float fishing with floats of 4BB - 5AAA , for grayling and want the extra length for greater control. A MAP 15-18' or Browning syntec 15' or Shaky annexe spring to mind. Any opinions good or otherwise, on these (or other) rods , would be very welcome.

M

Malcolm Bason

Hi Keith - I purchased a MAP 15ft - 20ft a few months back, and used it for the first time today. It was very windy and, I should have left it at home.

Unwieldy is the is the understatement of the year, Keith, casting was a joke and yes, very top-heavy.

The only situation I can see where it would have its uses is to drop a float the other side of lilley pads or reeds when working the margins!

Other than that, I can't say, but it only cost me ?99 reduced from ?199 - so......... Hope that's of some help. :O)

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Keith

I use a an ABU 18/20ft float road for stick float fishing on the rivers. It takes a few sessions to get used to the length and the weight but, boy, do they improve float control.

I always take my 13 footer along too, but it generally stays in the bag these days unless I have a swim with overhanging trees that makes the long rod difficult to use.

I would go to your tackle dealer and try one out. Make sure they put a reel on it in order to judge the balance. It will feel strange,but you do get used to it. If you like stick float fishing, in my opinion, buy one.

K

keith reid

Thanks Dave and Malcome I dont have a local dealer that has such rods in stock I will probably have to buy mail order. Your opinions are much appreciated.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Keith - hope it helps. You might also be interested in the atricle I wrote for Fishingmagic last year on using a long rod. Have a look in the articles archive in the Purely for Pleasure series. I would post a link but its a bit technical for me.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
All you need to do is click on search, choose 'Title Only' from the drop-down menu, type in 'purely' or 'pleasure', click on search, and you'll find what you're looking for.

R

Rob Brownfield

Keith, I fish for Grayling all through the winter with a 13 footer, and thats on the mighty Tay. If I need more control I wade. I found a long rod no good for hitting fast bites.

M

michael jepson

Keith,have a look at bt./cat.com-store-wotsits tackledirect/index icl?.Some first class rods at stunning prices.I bought the tricast 20 footer.Used it for the first time last week caught and landed roach and hybrids [2oz. -1 3/4lb. at distance,using a 4BB waggler. Happy hunting .Mike