Long time no Fishing for barbel

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Well I don't think that for 40 years I have had so long a period of not wetting a line for barbel. It's been over 8 weeks.

Over that period the water temps on my local rivers, Wye, Severn and W Avon has rarely been above 5 degrees, peaking at about 6.5.

But, no sooner than the temp has reached about that it has immediately tumbled.

No warm S Westerlies combined with warm rain to encourage some action.

Of course mates have had the odd fish or two and the Thames has produced a new river record, but overall it's been pretty dead.

Roll on some warmer weather that lasts more than a day before the snow, sleet and cold NE winds hit.

So, continue trotting for whatever comes along I guess:(

john step

Reaction score
Its not just barbel. Even old essox is giving me a hard time. I am going to have a day soon doing something different just to get a fish on the end.

Philip

Reaction score
Well the forum has been rather quiet so dare I say that according to Trefor West (cough cough) ..the below 5 degree then forget it rule for Barbel is now out of the window with the advent of super duper modern HNV baits so maybe its not a lost cause & you should get back out there Graham ?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Oh I have caught three doubles in an evening off the Loddon as the line froze in the rod rings.........but that was 20 years ago.

Sit still and wait.....hoping for a bite in tough conditions or stay active and warm trotting. No contest.

Incidently, I don't think most HNV baits give you any advantage in the cold over normal baits like Meat, Pellets etc.

Milks? Maybe.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
To be fair I would agree with you that moving about a bit seems allot more sensible in the cold.

Bait wise I cant say I would have too much confidence sitting it out with just a hookbait, I much prefer to be fishing over a bit of bait. Milks I don’t know, I am sure they would be a better bet than fishmeals. No one really seems to mention birdseeds, after all hemp is a bird seed. Its well known to the Carpers that these provide better leakage than the fishmeals in cold water so why not a bird seed based bait with a meaty / fishey label ? …sounds weird perhaps but you never know.

All said and done I must say I would much rather target something else and wait for the water to warm up a bit.

lutra

Reaction score
Go chub fishing with corn would be my tip. The chub keep me entertained and give me a reason to put some food in and often gives Mr barbel a good reason to gatecrash the party even in very low temps. Deffo put some of my coldest caught barbel on the bank for me.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Philip. I tend to add some MC onto my pellet bait in colder weather so negates the leakage issue.

Would prefer maggots to try for chub and hope for a barbel.
Never had much confidence in corn, rather chub with breadflake and mash every time.

But as I said.....can't be bothered barbel fishing. Hard Frost this morning.:(

dicky123

Reaction score
Me too missing out, but a trip to an empty carp puddle saw me free lining bread and lob worms. The fish were still feeding, but you wait much longer for a bite than in summer, maybe 15 minutes. I know some see them as nightmares, but in the cold winter having your line pulled by a near double common on freelined baits is fun, and it’s why I fish. :w

My rod is a little 6’ Nash Scope with 8lb line, hand held. Lightly baiting several swims with bread, worms, and small pellet kept me entertained for 4/6 hours.

Most places keep them ice free with moving water, so you know it’s not frozen over. If your suffering lack of fish and have a puddle near you I can assure you it’s better than blanking if only for the odd trip!:wh

sagalout

Reaction score
They'll be feeding without me, Graham, I have far to many work orders entered into the system by Mrs Lout. Still looking on the bright side it will be nice and warm when I do get out.

benny samways

Reaction score
Any lnks for seeing the new Thames record? I am always inspired by the Thames captures.

The weather and seasons just aint the same no more.

Sunday hopefully bringing some milder weather in (for us southerners anyway).

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Air temperature due to rise which would be great........if snow wasn't falling in the river!!!!

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
It just won't settle will it! I see this week we're getting up as high as overnight temps of 10 degrees, but just for the one night! Then its back down to 1 or 2 degrees overnight... then another warmer day or two a little later, but nothing really settled.

Sunday this weekend looks nice though?

sagalout

Reaction score
Just been out for a quick look see between coats of plaster and the Wye at Ross-on-Wye is well over the banks.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
It just won't settle will it! I see this week we're getting up as high as overnight temps of 10 degrees, but just for the one night! Then its back down to 1 or 2 degrees overnight... then another warmer day or two a little later, but nothing really settled.

Sunday this weekend looks nice though?

I'm out tonight Jim...I think you know where I'll be, it has a little sleeper bridge next to it.

dave m

Reaction score
warm rain coming in later tonight and tomorrow morning... stand by.

me... no chance until sunday pm after its already returned to frosts :(