Lot carp - again!

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I doubt another update will bore you as the photos are so good, probably the best "trophy shot" I have taken for many a year!

My friend Alistair heard my recent stories and joined me at the river yesterday morning. Within five minutes he hooked a great fish that gave him (and me!) a fright or several!

Carp Alistair playing.jpg

The fish went downstream about 150 yds in quick time, Alistair had his drag too slack! Which may have been lucky as he told me his trace was only 10 pound bs.

Somehow it did not find the dead trees and boulders at the bend and Alistair slowly retrieved some line. Then it ran into the nearside weedbed about 80 yds downstream, gradual pressure with the rod and the line slowly cut through the weed. Finally the fish moved back into open water!

But the fight was not over as this evidently big carp ran back our side and found the tree stump, swam around it.......and back out again! The line did not foul!

A few more short, powerful runs and it was in my net. Wet feet for me again as acting ghillie to retrieve this wonderful, fully scaled river carp.

Carp 34lb Alistair.jpg

Weighed at 34 pounds, Alistair was dumbfounded by his luck!

Carp Alistair.jpg

As I said, best trophy shot I have taken for years. I feel (almost) as lucky as Alistair!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not a carp fanatic, but, that is a very nice looking carp!

Good pictures, the trophy shot makes the fish look like a 70lb'er lol.

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Super fish, well done. Business quietening down here on the Dordogne, hope I get chance to give you a call and visit soon. A reciprocal visit will also be welcomed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
He does indeed . . the River Lot flows through some lovely little towns and villages like Villeneuve-sur-Lot and Penne d'Agenais, Great countryside, terrific people and some decent cuisine as well as some great fishing . . . . .

Peter, as lovely as the lower Lot valley is, the river and scenery just keeps getting better as you follow the Lot to the east of Cahors.

We were staying in a gite near Prayssac and it was lovely there. After a few months we found a long term rental at Limogne en Quercy. What grabbed my attention was seeing the house advert and then checking Google Earth - five different roads lead from Limogne to different stretches of the river!

Lot home fishing.png

There is three years "work" there! On my project I have about 70 flagged swims, most now with photos of fish caught and/or links to YouTube videos by other anglers on the river. The closest swim to my home is about 10 minutes drive down the hill, most are within twenty minutes. The furthest are about an hour or so - that seems positively indulgent to drive now!

When I left Scotland I had decided to find somewhere special to occupy my time and thoughts. This area alone can do that - but the river Tarn is not that far away, just in case I get bored!!!!

Last edited: