LUNCHON MEAT

J

jamie varcoe

hi can you help?
i use lunchon meat very often and i was wondering if i could add a flavour like marmite or something can you tell me if there is any good flavours that can be added to lunchon meat to catch carp tench bream
thanx JV

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The ones you mention, plus any of the usual carp flavours can be used, along with any of the stuff you can find in supermarkets. Your best bet is to experiment with different ones until you find one that you and the fish like.

W

Wag

Jamie, try frying it in curry powder or other spice mix (experiment a bit - see what's in the kitchen cupboards).
A friend of mine coats cubes of meat in powdered milk shake mix in a plastic bag, then freezes it for a few days before using it - he swears it catches him more fish.
As Graham says, experiment a bit - there are no right or wrong flavours, but you might discover the magic ingredient for where you fish.

T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

Jamie you can add any flavour you want to mate, its just a matter of experience ie consecutive blanks when using a flavour that will tell you whether its attractive to the fish or not.
Be sure to freeze it in a plastic bag as it draws in the flavour as it defrosts.Remember also to go easy on the flavourings. too much can be overpowering and some flavours alter drastically if they are too concentrated, that is some sweet flavours can become bitter if its too strong.

G

Geoff Palmer

I use a mix of cayenne pepper and chilli powder, the carp seem to like it on a cold day.

N

Nick King

i flavour my torn up pieces of meat with sensas garlic spray-i swear by it!!!
my fishing buddy colin soaks/flavours meat in rod hutchinsons monster crab flavour.i tend to put a bit of space between me and him on the bank cos it smells fowl!!! but the fish love it....

B

Bob Lancaster

last week i went out with some luncheon meat i covered it with tumeric and boy did those chub love it i try it all mixed spice to strawbery flavour never know your luck try it all

E

Evan

"...i covered it with tumeric..."

Just dry powdered turmeric over it or fried + turmeric ?

B

Bob Lancaster (ACA)

just put cubes of luncheon meat in a plastic bag and put the powdered tumeric in give a good shake and leave overnight to absorb

W

will spencer

try frying luncheon meat in fenugreek and garlic,both found in the good old spice racks in asda and morrisons.

sweetcorn kid

Reaction score
go the supermarket and get some garlic spam then take a slow tour down the foreign foods isle and just try any spice or fish oil curry paste flavoured sausage also try home baking isle allsorts of flavouring and sweeteners in the.

P

paul williams 2

Psst......don't tell anyone wil you? the fish LOVE it just as it is!

flumpy

Reaction score
ive had a bit of success with l/meat soaked in strawberry jam overnight found out by soaking sweetcorn in jam droped some meat in come up trumps for me

Robert Reynolds 3

Reaction score
Iv'e been fishing for some years but never used bread and meat punches.! How are the bread and meat baits prepared prior to use, how do you use the baits when using the punches, and finally how are the baits attached from the punch to the hook. I'm not a novice angler,but we all come across new unused aspects of fishing, and this ones' definately new to me. !!!

Mike A (ACA)

Reaction score
Paul Williams 2 got ir right. The fish love it just as it is. Try it fished as a cocktail with Edam cheese!

Reaction score
i dont use punches i prefair to just rip pieces up i.e. if ive got a slice off bread i will make me four hook baits i pinch all the corners and rip it same as for meat i just rip it into big chunks i think it looks more naturall

Bob Bone 2

Reaction score
I put cubed luncheon meat in a bag with some flavouring, either liquids or curry/ chilli powder over night in the fridge and let the flavour/colour soak into the meat over night.

You can use anything in the kitchen its good to experiment. Last year I lost a huge chub whilst fishing with a lump of meat that I dyed green and caught loads of carp in the summer on strawberry flavour meat.

Give it a go and see what works best for the venue you are fishing.