Making Pellets from Luncheon Meat

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Leaving it in the tin doesnt stop it going off,if you take it from the tin and shave a gnats off every hour or so it is still pink inside,it is drying out not going off and fish eat rotting dead fish in the water,where there is protein they will munch it....
I wasn't sure if it was going off with some bacteria or drying out or if the fish minded, I still would rather present them with nice pink meat just in case. Some fish I am sure eat rotting dead fish but not all. Think of most baits, casters, maggots' for example or sweetcorn maybe, I would rather they were all as fresh as can be. The meat in the tin, I would still rather have the meat in the tin not exposed in the air and the simpler less messy anything is does me, I will be using punch only and I am not going to bother taking it out and cutting it into cubes anymore. I have some old syringes which were mentioned and they just need adapting and something else, my plastic tube with a plunger made out of a bit of wood and I have an old top section of a rod that I might take a look at. I only want 2 maybe 3 sizes, I like making things heath Robinson style apart from anything else it saves money. I will still have a look in the tackle shop but I think I have what I want now. thanks for all the help and putting all the ideas my way.

Reaction score
Well as far as for human consumption is concerned all foods in tins,including milk/cream should be taken from the tin and stored in a fridge,my autistic son John got a serious allergic reaction once from luncheon meat kept in an opened tin from the fridge,and that was grilled before he ate it,he was allergic to the bacteria growing on it,his younger brother had it and wasn't....

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm with Whitty on this. I don't store anything, for people or fish, in opened tins. Even with bait, even though I don't eat it, I do handle it, and if it strikes me as slightly disgusting, out it goes. I know the fish may eat all kinds of stuff in stages of breakdown, but I'm not a fish, and, as we've seen with Covid, it's hard not to transfer what's on your hands to your face. I don't mean I'm squeamish - users of natural baits have got over that decades ago; I mean, I trust my sense of disgust. They reckon we developed our sense of disgust - the "disgusted" face is one of the universal facial expressions - as an aid to survival, as the stuff that disgusts us - shit, rotten or decomposing stuff etc - carries disease, and that instinctive reaction - yeuch, get it away from me - is a protection.

mikench

Reaction score
Spam freezes well, takes on flavour( curry, chili, F1 etc) and if sliced and kept in a ziplock bag, will keep for ages. I hate open tins and consider them dangerous as scars on my fingers will testify.

Reaction score
I intend to fish meat tomorrow,I will open the tin in the morning,bag it,use it,I have no issues with the tin,I was a sheet metal worker handling metal with burrs,the care I took then holds good today...

nottskev

Reaction score
Spam freezes well, takes on flavour( curry, chili, F1 etc) and if sliced and kept in a ziplock bag, will keep for ages. I hate open tins and consider them dangerous as scars on my fingers will testify.

It does get softer though, when frozen and thawed, and it softens up enough in this warm weather already. Corn frozen and thawed is only fit for feed.

Reaction score
Also some meat floats after freezing and its bouyant enough as it is.

Keith M

Reaction score
The meat that I put into my freezer is fine and doesn’t appear to go softer when it’s defrosted, even when I’ve gone fishing and not used it and have decided to re-freeze it again when I got home.

However it’s very rare that I do freeze my luncheon meat as I almost always open a fresh tin and get through a whole tins worth in a session; however I always have a single lump of meat in the freezer just for emergencies, until it starts to look freezer burnt, then I’ll replace it :)

I also have a ball of cheese/bread paste (mixed with raw onion juice) that’s been in and out of the freezer for many years, which after a days fishing with it I’ll top it up with fresh cheese/bread paste and then put it back into the freezer; It feels cold to the touch even on a baking hot day and I suspect this is probably the amino acids breaking down in it, or something similar. It certainly catches quite a few nice Chub and Roach in the spring and early summer :)

Keith

Last edited:

fisherton anger

Reaction score
A trick I use not luncheon meat, but I have used the catfood treat sticks banded on the hook to great success. Fairly cheap and wrapped so last for months, they stay on the band really well and have lots of smell. Would have thought meat would be a bit soft and limited shelf life once opened.

rayner

Reaction score
I prefer coloured meat rather than flavoured, I was using yellow meat yesterday. Red meat is good also.
If meat turns colour or not after a while I don't know, a tin does not last me too long.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Try putting a few pieces of punched/cubed meat in a frying pan with a drop of cooking oil or one of those oil sprays,for a couple of minutes. Turn meat so sides "cooked" this toughens the outer skin ,and avoids the attention of smaller fish,while the inside of the meat remains soft.
If you don't want to use luncheon meat, try Bacon Grill the result is the same and can give you an edge on days when luncheon meat isn't working due to extra flavour.