Male or Female tench?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Can anyone help me confirm whether this is a male or female?

paul-h-albums-paul-s-memorable-fish-picture1977-5lb-10oz-tench.jpg

dezza

Reaction score
That's a female.

Males have large scoop shaped ventral fins and bulging gonads. Generally they do not grow as big as the females. Tench are one of the easiest fish to sex.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Thank you everybody.

I'm not dissapointed with the fish at all as it was personal best at 5lb 10oz.

I was kind of hoping it was male though as that would have rather excitingly confirmed some of the females are 10lb + (which is what the local tackle shop owner has told me).

Still, I was well pleased with her, she was a little greener in real life but the strong sun has warmed the tones a bit.

I always carry my unhooking matt, they weigh next to nothing and you can't always be sure that there will be a 'safe' place to lay the fish.

She'd have been covered in goose c**p if I'd left it home :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Very pretty looking fish....unhooking mats-don't see many on my local waters even though the rule book stipulates same....

thinks....must find a decent tench water-which will mean joining Reading & District...more expense..

dezza

Reaction score
In my opinion, whilst not looking as pretty as the female fish, the male tench is very likely the hardest fighting coarse fish on a size for size basis in the country. Whether it's those huge ventral fins that do it I dont know, but I've had some monumental scraps with quite modestly sized male tench in my life. And I'm sure lots of others have too.

The hardest fighting tench I ever hooked was a 6 1/2 pound male fish from an Oxfordshire gravel pit using 6 lbs line, Avon rod and 5 lb hooklength. After 15 minutes by my watch the tench had still not tired, and that's a long time to play any fish.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Some of the best fighting tench(and very beautiful to look at!) are to be found in White Swan Pit,Dinton Pastures,near Reading Berks...still day ticket I think...

Like Ron I've landed 6/7lb fish but only after a 15min fight..(thought I was into a new record!!)

Saw a young lad land an 11lb fish back in the 80's from this pit-like a new pin...

BUT is it ever a difficult water...Oh yes it is!!