Marco Cortesi Centrepin Reel

bigfish74

Reaction score
I recieved my barbus severn last week and to say im happy with it is an understatement
I have had several pins over the years that were cheep and cheerful only because im on a budget but thats not to say i buy the cheapest gear because thats false economy i limed the reel the price and the writeups id read
Not had chance to use her yet but on first impressions looks good spins freely no play from the drum no gaps between drum and backplate and an overall good finish and the presentation box added to the secure delivery so not been knocked around will add to this post when i habe had a few trotting sessions on my beloved river irwell

Andy

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
On holiday in the Skegness area, I had a chance to play with the Cortesi in Used Tackle's (then) main outlet before taking the plunge. This was without having read all the hype. It was the last one in the shop - the display model - so perhaps it's one of the better ones.

It ran so well that I felt they'd made a mistake with the price, and slunk out of the shop grinning like a naughty schoolboy :D.

It has to be said that there are prettier reels out there - for a pretty penny; at this price point it's impossible to find serious fault with its appearance.

I would guess I've had the reel for around two years now, with nary a mechanical hiccup. It hasn't been fettled or relubricated (or cleaned, come to that, apart from a quick wipe) and despite taking a goodly amount of stick has never missed a beat.

Smooth enough for effortless trotting and plenty strong enough to deal with kerb-crawling carp, in terms of performance it's as good as reels way, way beyond it's price, which in my eyes makes for seriously good value.

If you've always fancied trying a pin, but the expense has put you off, here's the chance to do so for the price of a night out. Go on - treat yourself!

soffit

Reaction score
Just another little bit of praise.... Been away flyfishing but have used it a number of times fishing for mullet off a sewage pipe so, salt water use. Still waiting for the slightest sign of rust. No prep, just as it came out of the box three years ago.

bigfish74

Reaction score
Well she is still going strong after a few good days out nkw for some winter chubbing with it

Andy

billmo

Reaction score
Nice looking reel beats my Trudex 6 inch for looks 1960s model but it has served me well wonder if the new reels will still be going in 50 odd years and as smooth as new