Margin pole

Beaker

Reaction score
Any body recomend a decent margin carp pole for around £50.The club I have just joined has a lake which has some real zoo creatures which freely feed in the margins and most of the regulars fish for them with margin poles.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
For that sort of money you are limited but a Leeda Assassin might fit the bill. Shakespeare have some budget margin poles that you might get for not much more than £50 but mostly they cost more.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I bought a Shakespeare margin pole. It only came with one top-two. So I ordered a couple of spares in February.

February 2009, that is!

When last I looked the pole was still for sale but without spares for it I wouldn't touch one. Fortunately Drennan's universals fit perfectly.

If your budget is £50, I'd look for a secondhand bargain. It'll already have elastic, bungs etc. and save you even more money. a White Knuckle or a Yank 'n Bank might do the trick.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Margin poles are no different to any other fishing tackle, you get what you pay for. Just because they are built to fish for carp close in doesn't mean they won't break under the strain of a big carp, they will believe me and if those carp in your pool really are zoo creatures (how big exactly?) then I would opt for a good secondhand one as Mark said. The Shimano 'beastmaster' is a good strong margin pole and probably as good as any but have a looksee here at Fosters where they have some good offers for new ones if your wallet stretches to it.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I've got a Middy Rythm stick (7m) it comes with a spare top one.

Just checked and it on sale just now £46.99 from here > Clicky

Beaker

Reaction score
Margin poles are no different to any other fishing tackle, you get what you pay for. Just because they are built to fish for carp close in doesn't mean they won't break under the strain of a big carp, they will believe me and if those carp in your pool really are zoo creatures (how big exactly?) then I would opt for a good secondhand one as Mark said. The Shimano 'beastmaster' is a good strong margin pole and probably as good as any but have a looksee here at Fosters where they have some good offers for new ones if your wallet stretches to it.
they are big some are in the 18-20lb bracket

slb

Reaction score
If you can get them feeding quite close, and you will only be able to afford a short margin pole so we must be talking around 5-7m, you can use a pole float rig on a rod and line with 8lb Maxima straight through to a forged hook. You will probably land more fish than the anglers using margin poles if this is the case because you can really 'hook and hold', while a margin pole will always give some elastic to a hooked fish and let it get close to snags.
You must use a very strong hook for this way of fishing. The main cause of losing fish will be ripping the hook out due to extreme pressure on the wire. The thicker the hook, the less chance there is of doing so.

Beaker

Reaction score
If you can get them feeding quite close, and you will only be able to afford a short margin pole so we must be talking around 5-7m, you can use a pole float rig on a rod and line with 8lb Maxima straight through to a forged hook. You will probably land more fish than the anglers using margin poles if this is the case because you can really 'hook and hold', while a margin pole will always give some elastic to a hooked fish and let it get close to snags.
You must use a very strong hook for this way of fishing. The main cause of losing fish will be ripping the hook out due to extreme pressure on the wire. The thicker the hook, the less chance there is of doing so.
Thats really good advice Steve,what hook and float would you use,I thought i,d use size 12 muggas.

slb

Reaction score
They would be ideal, bit over the top for me though. Personally I would use a Fox Series 2 Extra Strong.
Floats can be almost any type if you use a silicon sleeve over the tip as well as the side eye, but carbon or glass stems will be preferable to wire. Try KC Carpas, they are good. Possibly a dibber if the water is less than 2'. Something like the Karpa Shallow.
If you have to swing the rig 5 or 6m, you may need something aournd 0.5g, otherwise try to fish as light as possible, say 4x12, it will get you more bites form heavily pressured carp.
See you're in Swindon, what fishery are you looking at?

Beaker

Reaction score
They would be ideal, bit over the top for me though. Personally I would use a Fox Series 2 Extra Strong.
Floats can be almost any type if you use a silicon sleeve over the tip as well as the side eye, but carbon or glass stems will be preferable to wire. Try KC Carpas, they are good. Possibly a dibber if the water is less than 2'. Something like the Karpa Shallow.
If you have to swing the rig 5 or 6m, you may need something aournd 0.5g, otherwise try to fish as light as possible, say 4x12, it will get you more bites form heavily pressured carp.
See you're in Swindon, what fishery are you looking at?
Wick Water 2 also known as Staits lake,controlled by South Cerney AC.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
they are big some are in the 18-20lb bracket
Get an original middy white knuckle, it will be in your price bracket, I have had 15lb carp out in a few minutes, I used to se it for pushing under the foliage.
Even though the club say 18 - 20lb there may only be one or two that size in there. Or you could try using a rod and reel with pole float or small waggler.
To be honest if they are running that big I wouldnt bother with a margin pole,
Oops this is a 10 year old thread .
The
OP may no longer be a member ?