Matches cancelled

steve2

Reaction score
Just had a email from my club to say that following the change in Covid rules all matches are once again cancelled. All social distancing on fisheries is back on.
Are your clubs also doing this?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
We will break up into groups of 6 for the draw on my matches. Certainly not cancelling any fixtures while you can still go to pubs, shops and restaurants etc .

.Social distancing on fisheries was never off?

sam vimes

Reaction score
My main club doesn't hold any matches to cancel. A couple of others do, but I'm not party to them. However, as far as I'm aware, they are operating within social distancing guidelines anyway as they were never reduced. Same goes for any fisheries. Some anglers may have got complacent about social distancing, but the guidelines have never changed since angling was allowed again back in May. As far as I'm aware, the Angling Trust advice is that nothing has changed with regards to (match) fishing and the recently increased social distancing rules.

rich66

Reaction score
No my clubs not, the new (yet another new set) rules have a clause in them about organised sport is exempt or something on those lines anyway.

steve2

Reaction score
I think it is all about how you interpret the rule of organised team sport. Can't see how a match is organised team sport.

steve2

Reaction score
Just goes to show that even this government doesn't know how to interpret it own rules. Back to square one I can't meet up with the family but can sit on the bank with 50 people I don't know.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just goes to show that even this government doesn't know how to interpret it own rules. Back to square one I can't meet up with the family but can sit on the bank with 50 people I don't know.

Your idea of match angling must be quite different to mine. It's hardly a contact sport. However, if any individual feels uncomfortable with the prospect of taking part in a match, they've always got the option of not taking part. It's hardly rocket science, no one is forced to fish a match.

I'm afraid I see it quite differently to you. Provided that draws and weigh ins are not conducted in huddles of folks, I think it is ridiculous to ban match fishing again. Though I have no intention of participating, I'd feel a lot more uncomfortable in the average supermarket than I would fishing a match.

The rule of six thing may not make a great deal of sense in many situations. However, I fail to see why fifty individuals going fishing on a busy water would be OK and fifty individuals, on the same (or similar) water not being able to have a match.

rob48

Reaction score
I've fished some very large matches over the years but I've never sat on a bank with 50 people I don't know.

Keith M

Reaction score

On both of my clubs members are asked to present their permits (club permit and rod licence) inside a plastic bag and leave it behind where they are fishing. and for Match weigh-ins the Angler stands back while the persons doing the weigh-in empties the catch onto the scales and returns them afterwards; spraying their hands before and afterwards.

And as every swim is at least 20ft upwards apart there’s no distancing worries.

Any Monies being passed around are sprayed with an alcohol based aerosol.

Simples really, it’s just common sense.

Keith

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
After reading the list of exemptions I now know just how I can meet up with my family and not break the new rules. I just orginise a football match in my back garden or a fishing match on a local lake.

mikench

Reaction score
I socially distance on every water I fish without trying. Pegs are sometimes so far apart I need a megaphone to chat to Gordon.

steve2

Reaction score
With virus case rocketing, areas going into local lock down, possible national lock down coming soon just how can groups of people meeting to just catch fish be deemed OK or come to that any form of group gathering for any sport.

sam vimes

Reaction score
With virus case rocketing, areas going into local lock down, possible national lock down coming soon just how can groups of people meeting to just catch fish be deemed OK or come to that any form of group gathering for any sport.

Even the local lockdowns are nothing like as severe as the full national lockdown. Whilst that is the case, match fishing (and many other forms of sport) shouldn't be an issue. When you can still go to a pub, restaurant, cinema etc then match fishing is pretty much irrelevant. However, just as many other things in life, if you don't want to partake, no one can force you to.

I rather suspect that we may have to get used to the prospect of these (half arsed) local lockdowns, but the chances of us returning to full national lockdown is pretty much zero. You couldn't get me into a pub etc, or to a match/busy commie if I was paid to attend. What others choose to do is their business. People shouldn't need telling what's right to do (for them) by any government.

steve2

Reaction score
Unfortunately people just don't listen and need to be told. There are still too many who believe they are immune to this virus

john step

Reaction score
Unfortunately people just don't listen and need to be told. There are still too many who believe they are immune to this virus
Here's a thought. My wife and myself have both developed a nasty cold. The only place we have been anywhere near another person is the weekly Tesco shop.
We both wear masks, plastic gloves and sanitise the trolley handle. The only thing I can think of is the till assistant who puts the goods through.with germs on their hands.
If its that easy to catch a cold it must be just as easy to catch covid ??