Maver Reactorlite Match 1 13ft float rod

robtherake

Reaction score

Not sure how long I've been using this one; several years, at least. I remember reading a review for the multi-length feeder rod from the same stable (out of my price range, but tempting) and I cast my eyes across the float rods, too, as you do.

The blanks are an autoclaved "high tonne" radial carbon design, according to the blurb. What was most interesting, though, was the claim that the Match 1 could deadlift a 1kg weight straight off the floor (2kg for the Match 2!) Think about it - that's the sort of power generated by a light carp rod, yet it's only a fraction thicker than your average pencil.

At the time, the prices were more than my pocket could stand. Several years after launch, however, they could be bought pretty cheaply from Ebay, which is how I finally ended up getting a minter for just £50. The model is still current, by the way, and a new example will set you back around £160.

A standard 3-piece rod, it weighs in at 197g, or just a tad over 6.5oz. Balance, with 3000 size reel fitted (2500 if Daiwa) is almost perfect. Tip recovery is speedy and it's quick on the strike, with the top section cushioning light hooklengths pretty well, so it makes a good silverfish tool. That, though is just a small sample of its abilities. The manufacturing process makes it an extremely strong rod when the chips are down; I've used 10lb line straight through in snaggy spots and when you have to dig your heels in the non-locking blank just keeps on bending, daring you to give it some more. The claims, then, are borne out by the incredible amount of leverage on offer. The progressive action really is as sweet as a nut. Goodness knows what the Match 2 is capable of, it must really be something to see.

Fixtures and fittings are top class. Rings are Silicon carbide, 14 in all, and seem to stand off quite far, doing a good job of keeping line and blank apart in the wet. The graphite Fuji reel seat (downlocking) is a good fit with most suitable reels, including centrepins. The piano black finish is flawless, as are the matching whippings with discreet gold edging. Male joints are sealed to keep out dirt and the slim handle, at 23", is just about right.

Maver got it right with this one - a genuine all-rounder; little wonder that it's still in the range so long after its launch. It was a good rod for the launch price, in my view, but a used example - for the price of a night out - must be one of the best bargains around. I've given it 9 for appearance, but really the finish is as good as it gets, I'd have preferred a less shiny varnish, is all.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks and sounds like a great rod Rob. How do you rate it to the Map Dave Harrell float rods, I think you have one of those also ?
Rob, have you tried running some line through the rod and lifting 1 kg with it?...thats 2.2lb ! I'd be surprised/impressed if it could do that, and 2kg for the match 2 is serious stuff, if it realy can do it.

Just had a nosey at the Maver reactorlite Match 2 13ft float rod and it weighed 204 grames, so seems quite heavy for a float. It's rated to 8lbs mainline so quite a step up from the 6lb rating of the Match 1.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
Looks and sounds like a great rod Rob. How do you rate it to the Map Dave Harrell float rods, I think you have one of those also ?
Rob, have you tried running some line through the rod and lifting 1 kg with it?...thats 2.2lb ! I'd be surprised/impressed if it could do that, and 2kg for the match 2 is serious stuff, if it realy can do it.

Just had a nosey at the Maver reactorlite Match 2 13ft float rod and it weighed 204 grames, so seems quite heavy for a float. It's rated to 8lbs mainline so quite a step up from the 6lb rating of the Match 1.

The rod we were talking about in a recent thread, which we decided might have been a MAP rod from the period Dave Harrell worked for them, is a beauty. Hard to compare, though, because it's so light in action (on a par/slightly softer than the original Drennan Waggler.)

I like the Maver too much to test it to destruction! Adverts from the time of its introduction made a fuss about its weightlifting capabilities, if I remember rightly, and you can bet someone, somewhere has tried it, but that someone wasn't me. What I have done with it is hung on to a mid-double carp heading for trouble (centrepin/10lb line straight through) and refused to give an inch. It wallowed and thumped for a few very long minutes then gave up all at once. Ever since then I've had the utmost confidence in it, as you would.:)
I suppose the No 2 model is just more of the same, only beefier. The No 1 balances really well with a reel on it; if you have a good balance the rod's weight's immaterial, up to a point.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The rod we were talking about in a recent thread, which we decided might have been a MAP rod from the period Dave Harrell worked for them, is a beauty. Hard to compare, though, because it's so light in action (on a par/slightly softer than the original Drennan Waggler.)

I like the Maver too much to test it to destruction! Adverts from the time of its introduction made a fuss about its weightlifting capabilities, if I remember rightly, and you can bet someone, somewhere has tried it, but that someone wasn't me. What I have done with it is hung on to a mid-double carp heading for trouble (centrepin/10lb line straight through) and refused to give an inch. It wallowed and thumped for a few very long minutes then gave up all at once. Ever since then I've had the utmost confidence in it, as you would.:)
I suppose the No 2 model is just more of the same, only beefier. The No 1 balances really well with a reel on it; if you have a good balance the rod's weight's immaterial, up to a point.

I do like the sound of the rod Rob and i'm gonn'a keep my eye open for one of the No2 model, I would have to try it out lifting the weights though, just out of curiosity :).
I did the same thing with a common carp of about 15lb when using an acolyte plus and 6lb sensor, it stopped it ok but the rod did have a serious bend in it :).

Even though I already have two of them I would buy this if I had the coin spare.....
Normark Avenger II 13' NCA 13X | eBay

It's my all time favourite float rod and I still haven't come across a rod to rival it!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know this one's brand new, but is that really the going rate, Ian?

For a while now the MKII's ( they retailed for £399 about 12yrs ago) haven't brought a lot of coin, I think people get them mixed up with the latter 13 to 14ft MKII which seems to be a less desirable rod. I have noticed there's less and less coming up for sale and the prices have started to go up now. They have sold for that kind money when two or three buyers want the rod.
A m8 of mine swore by carbotecs and when he had a waggle of my MKII Avenger he was smitten with it and kitted himself out with a couple of each in the range, even buying his dad one! When a few of his friends saw his they all got some also lol.
Having used one of the rods in the advert for 10yrs now I think it's well worth 250 notes (I think the seller is open to offers), you'll pay the best part of that for an acolyte! I'm not putting the acolyte down (as I have them myself and do like 'em...a lot) but imo they're not in the same league as the MKII range of normarks.
As I said, if I had the coin available I would be making an offer right now rather than posting this lol.

alantherose

Reaction score

Not sure how long I've been using this one; several years, at least. I remember reading a review for the multi-length feeder rod from the same stable (out of my price range, but tempting) and I cast my eyes across the float rods, too, as you do.

The blanks are an autoclaved "high tonne" radial carbon design, according to the blurb. What was most interesting, though, was the claim that the Match 1 could deadlift a 1kg weight straight off the floor (2kg for the Match 2!) Think about it - that's the sort of power generated by a light carp rod, yet it's only a fraction thicker than your average pencil.

At the time, the prices were more than my pocket could stand. Several years after launch, however, they could be bought pretty cheaply from Ebay, which is how I finally ended up getting a minter for just £50. The model is still current, by the way, and a new example will set you back around £160.

A standard 3-piece rod, it weighs in at 197g, or just a tad over 6.5oz. Balance, with 3000 size reel fitted (2500 if Daiwa) is almost perfect. Tip recovery is speedy and it's quick on the strike, with the top section cushioning light hooklengths pretty well, so it makes a good silverfish tool. That, though is just a small sample of its abilities. The manufacturing process makes it an extremely strong rod when the chips are down; I've used 10lb line straight through in snaggy spots and when you have to dig your heels in the non-locking blank just keeps on bending, daring you to give it some more. The claims, then, are borne out by the incredible amount of leverage on offer. The progressive action really is as sweet as a nut. Goodness knows what the Match 2 is capable of, it must really be something to see.

Fixtures and fittings are top class. Rings are Silicon carbide, 14 in all, and seem to stand off quite far, doing a good job of keeping line and blank apart in the wet. The graphite Fuji reel seat (downlocking) is a good fit with most suitable reels, including centrepins. The piano black finish is flawless, as are the matching whippings with discreet gold edging. Male joints are sealed to keep out dirt and the slim handle, at 23", is just about right.

Maver got it right with this one - a genuine all-rounder; little wonder that it's still in the range so long after its launch. It was a good rod for the launch price, in my view, but a used example - for the price of a night out - must be one of the best bargains around. I've given it 9 for appearance, but really the finish is as good as it gets, I'd have preferred a less shiny varnish, is all.
Hi, thanks for this review... persuaded me to buy a second hand Match 1 (also a minter!)

Al