meat...any advice for a newbie

brummiephil

Reaction score
i have never fished meat but the next match i am fishing is at a venue that i am told favours meat...soooooo

1. whats the best meat to use
2. whats the best way to hook it
3. some one told me to fry it , is that right?
4. will be fishing margins with a pole, cupping in a few bit of meat and fishing meat on the hook does that sound right?
5. anything else i should know

as always thanks for the advice !!

Last edited:

fruitowl

Reaction score
meat normally luncheon meat with intense flavours diced with a cutter to small pieces.
you can got to tackle shops for this otherwise a supermarket begining with te... are doing it on special and the have garlic, bacon and normal flavours to which you could add some sort of flavouring strawberry ect,
i think it's about £1 a tin at moment. i used the garlic on the severn a few months back had a couple of barbel on it.
hooking would probably be via small hair rig if you find you are loosing it without the bites would suggest using a baiting needle carefully push it through a piece of meat, pull the hook turn 90 degrees and use a small hair stop so as you lift into the fish the hook comes through the meat it may be a case of having both types of rig set up and trying to see which works best. hope this helps am sure a couple of the guys may have more suggestions :D

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Spam with black pepper has worked well in the past for me. Some will swear by the flavoured varieties sold by tackle shops, but as Fruitowl has said, it's easy enough making your own with supermarket flavourings and also cheaper!

If your using a hair rig, Korum quick stops are pretty good, you need a bait needle (or a darning needle if that's all thats available). Alternatively cut meat to the size of the hook you are using push hook through and rotate before pushing hook back into meat.

I've never fried meat first but I believe it is to toughen up "softer" varieties where the meat comes off the hook to easily (shouldn't happen on the pole) or to add spices/flavourings when cooking.

Check the venue your fishing as some will only allow meat on the hook.

B

binka

I think there's many variations on flavours, bait sizes etc but there is one thing I found recently through sheer laziness that worked really well and might be worthwhile on a scaled down basis.

I had been fishing banded pellet for barbel and was too lazy to change the rig so I simply tore off a chunk of meat and banded it instead of hair rigging it, chucked in and wallop!

I know people that fish meat on the hook without a problem but for some reason I never seem to be able to connect very well, finding the bites much quicker than hair rigging or banding.

I can't believe i'm the only one that bands meat?

noknot

Reaction score
Deffo fry the hook baits, this will toughthen them! On a short hair with a baiting needle then cut a wide elastic band into a squre, and place on the needle after the L meat, this works as a buffer on the cast! It does work, give it a go, and good luck!

smufter

Reaction score
If your using a hair rig, Korum quick stops are pretty good, you need a bait needle (or a darning needle if that's all thats available).

This is the way I fish meat.
I used to cube it, now I use a round meat cutter and will vary the size depending on the water I am fishing.
Have been known to use my wife's potato peeler before now, gives me a nice 20mm sized "barrel".
I also put mine in a bait tub and coat the chunks with krill powder. Freeze them up and take them out again a few hours before I'm going fishing. Gives the meat a nice red colour and the smell of the krill is drawn into the meat as it defrosts.
I am using the Garlic flavoured Spam at the moment to good effect. Trouble is, it stinks to high heaven and makes me want to heave whilst I'm preparing it.....:(:(:(

MRWELL

Reaction score
The way i use meat is simple,i don't cut the meat but leave it rough by breaking it into bits,this will give the meat the effects of free offerings as many who use meat to feed up will break it into this rough shape...i put my meat direct on to the hook using a baiting needle but have has success on the hair,i favour the Garlic brand of meat from the supermarkets but if i can't find any i will use any kind and that means cheap Luncheon meat,you can put some garlic powder into a food bag and put your broken meat in with it and give it a good shake to make sure it is well covered,best done over night so the meat obsorbs some of the garlic,Bream love it....Frying the meat will give it a hard outer coat and keep it on the hook longer,you only need to fry it for a few seconds each side or all over,don't use any oils,this will make the meat very soft,only cup in a few bits every ship out on the pole,a small pole cup/pot is all you need....good luck.