Menai Straits

D

dave morton

I am planning to fish the menai straits within the next few days and was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on what to expect, tactics baits etc. I'll be taking a boat and chose the straits because of the current winds which are going to make it a bit lumpy this weekend I think. But I am told the straits can be fished in just about any conditions.

Hope someone can help.

Dave

K

keith hatton 1

hi dave
me and some of my mates tried to get out of menai on sunday 17/10/04 but too bad.
if you can try squid,ragwormes,and baited hockeyes. there are whiting,doggis,maks,codling, try sandell for the bass.
GOOD LOOOK

ps. let us know how you do

D

dave morton

Hi thanks for the replies.

Kieth you got me worried now ...i was told that the lifeboat slip at beaumaris was an any condition slip. I realise I am not going to get to go out to sea, but a day out is better than any day at work! plus i'l be there a few days so hopefuly things will calm down a bit. :/

Eddie that link is down...guess its a private website and is screwed up :/

Any help would be appreciated, was told the small boat festival 2 weeks ago was excellent ...so i am hoping for the same kind of results! :)

Dave

D

dave morton

Thanks Eddie.

The wirral site has a great fish reports section. Some of the info is well out of date, but a good guideline for people wanting to travel out of their usual area. The nice thing is the reports are overlaid on a map so at least you can tell where abouts people are talking about.
Dave

D

dave morton

Sorry but the trip got called off due to stripping a wheel nut on the trailer while servicing it for the trip. It will be on the cards for a week or so's time and hopefully it wont be blowing a gale. I have been getting out from hartlepool occasionally and it seems the cod are in at last :) (5 on the last trip to 8lb on pennel rigged whole squid.

Lets hope its a sign of things to come over the winter.

Dave

M

michael rouse

I was speaking to someone who said there was a run of codling between two and three lbs in the straits at the moment. To find marks buy the mike flynn video 'fishing around north wales'.lol i saw his mate Al once...legend.