Mini species in the South

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'd love to catch bullheads and stone loach in the South (ideally, Dorset / Wilts / Somerset) - anyone know of any local venues that give a realistic chance? Very many thanks.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Can't help you there, but to have a realistic chance of catching bullheads you'd want to try after dark (they're pretty much nocturnal)
Jerry

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The Pinn in Cowley used to be full of stone loach Jerry. One [or more] under every other stone. Perch bait par excellence according to Phil but I'd never use one now....assuming they are still there to be found.

The Colne was full of bullhead when I was a boy but rarely caught on bait...usually by net. Had some huge ones on bait from the Thames and Kennet though...absolute monsters as big as a small frog.:eek:

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
The Pinn in Cowley used to be full of stone loach Jerry. One [or more] under every other stone. Perch bait par excellence according to Phil but I'd never use one now....assuming they are still there to be found.

The Colne was full of bullhead when I was a boy but rarely caught on bait...usually by net. Had some huge ones on bait from the Thames and Kennet though...absolute monsters as big as a small frog.:eek:

Doesn't surprise me Skippy, the local Pinn at Ruislip was alive with them and sticklebacks when i was a kid - also the Misbourne when we moved to Gerrards X.
Jerry

Morespiders

Reaction score
Misbournes gone now Boi, how can that happen?

Skipworth, just how big is a small frog, be more explicit man!!!

barbelboi

Reaction score

But they were big in the Misbourne then Del, wish I'd had a decent set of scales to weigh 'em;)

The Misbourne River Action is are putting time and effort into rescuing the river. Their aim is to revive it so that it flows regularly from its source at Great Missenden to its confluence with the River Colne at Denham. Be nice if it happens.

Jerry

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Bit smaller than a medium sized frog... I dunno...about the size of a squashed shrew. Nothing as big as your pb though....around 1-14 wasn't it ?

The Misbourne's had it I reckon. Dry as a nun's knickers.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Dry as a nun's knickers? Pure Chaucer.....Love it.

Thanks a million for all help, I'll keep plugging away - good to have goals in life!!! Even if those goals are the size and shape of a small frog / shrew / delete as appropriate.

simon dunbar

Reaction score
I have caught bullheads twice on the Dorset Stour , both times when it was heavily coloured and both times when fishing the river at Wimborne. The first time I caught two in quick succession and I was fishing just below Julians Bridge.

Keith M

Reaction score
You can still catch 'Millers Thumbs' and 'stone loach' from the lea near and under the bridge at Welwyn Garden City Park but it is only a few inches deep so you'd need a kids net.

Last edited: