Minnow trap

Tree123

Reaction score
I've tried on several occasions to make a minnow trap but it never works. I've been using a plastic bottle and turning the top inside out. Any advice as it getting colder I'm struggling to get minnows out by just dipping my landing net

barbelboi

Reaction score
In the 70's we used to use a large (glass) coffee jar and cut the end off a plastic funnel to leave a cone shape. Then trimed the wide end, if necessary, to fit into the neck of the jar - bait with bread and lower it into the shallows by string attached to the neck. Never failed.............

Tree123

Reaction score
Maybe the cone that I used was too small as the top of a bottle is defitney a lot smaller then a jar. I'm not perching again till next weekend so maybe ill have a play with jars

chrissh

Reaction score
I gave up on minnow traps years ago never had a single minnow in any of the homemade or shop bought traps

peter crabtree

AKA Simon
Reaction score
I find that if minnows are present in a water you’ll catch them on baited hooks. They’ll go for most baits and not necessarily small baits. Easier than waiting for traps to work.

flightliner

Reaction score
A timely post as I wouldn't mind a few minnows just now.
Thing is I never see them during the colder months, not even with tiny baits???

Tree123

Reaction score
I find that if minnows are present in a water you’ll catch them on baited hooks. They’ll go for most baits and not necessarily small baits. Easier than waiting for traps to work.

I've ordered some size 24s to try ang catch them too. Much prefer a live minnow compared to the drop shot or worm

JohnSLocker

Reaction score
I must admit that I also used to use the plastic bottle type trap when I was a kid and found it relatively successful when baited with pieces of bread. I also caught a loach in one one time if I remember right. haha